• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 6] Comforting 6s?

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Personal clarification - as a 6, I don't really care if everyone follows the rules. It just pisses me off when people break the rules stupidly. I think that if one is going to break them, they ought to understand exactly what they're doing, why they're doing it, and how it's going to impact everyone else. If they're putting undue burden on others, then they shouldn't be breaking them until they figure out a way to alleviate that.

Omg. Yes. Perfectly put.

To answer the OP, I really just prefer to be alone. Leave me alone and I'll get over it. Keep asking me about the problem will keep the energy alive - positive or negative.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't really need comforting much, nor do I attempt to comfort others very much.

Just being there and listening and not doing too much else (like talking too much) works for me. Not being there is fine too, I'll get over it.

Quay

Peaced
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like for them to let me express my feelings and thoughts without imposing any negative judgments. Mostly, I want to be acknowledged and felt heard no matter how irrational I may be in the moment.

On the bonus question: I tend to be alert to others who are in distress. I prod them into talking about what's bothering them and try to be encouraging.

This here. And I'm very aware when I am being irrational, but I like to get the overemotional part out of the way so I can apply logic.

So far, I've met few people who can get with my rants and raves and rage fests. But I know if they can hold my hand through it, I can trust them, as they have experienced that intensity and it hasn't ran them off.

Others epic meltdowns and temper tantrums don't phase me. I just stand by until they calm down and then they usually just tell me what caused it in the first place.

mcgooglian

MBTI Type
ISTP
Based on what I've read of this thread, I take it that hitting a panicking 6w7 over the head (lightly) with a canoe paddle wasn't the best idea?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Depends on who it is. I tend to like to be hugged and held by people like boyfriends, best friends, and sisters.

I tend to like for people to fuck off if I don't know them well. Like if I'm crying about something, and a casual acquaintance or roommate sees it, I would like for them to STFU and pretend they didn't see me, and not talk to me.

Very extreme, I know.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My mother is a 6w5. The best word I can think of to describe her when she's upset is probably paranoid. It's not exactly the right word, but she gets into this very negative and irrational headspace where all the things that could go wrong start to pour in and everyone's out to get her. The best I can do for her when she's like that is to remain calm and logical as possible, pointing out facts that counter what she's saying and effectively slow her roll. Giving her a practical next step to fix her problem can also help her to rally herself. Redirecting her in this way seems to be a pretty effective way to help her calm down.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Based on what I've read of this thread, I take it that hitting a panicking 6w7 over the head (lightly) with a canoe paddle wasn't the best idea?

Probably not. If you were going to hit them you should definitely have just gone ahead and knocked them out with it.

On a more serious note, 6s are problem-solvers by nature and don't tend to actually struggle with the problems themselves so much as the feelings and implications surrounding them. It's the threatened loss of security that gets to us, so restoring our feelings of security is the best way someone can help. We struggle with amplification of perceived threat, so unless you're sure you can help tone down that perceived threat, it's probably better to just leave the 6 alone. Like MDP indicated, adding fuel to the fire is the worst thing you can do.

[MENTION=7254]Wind-Up Rex[/MENTION], I know exactly what you're talking about. My dad's a 6w5, and he does the paranoia thing too. My 9w8 brother is very good at redirecting him.