• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 5] Type 5's: Do you turn into a hibernating bear under stress?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
My brother is a type 5 and he seems to retreat, talk to no one, and go into his own little world when he is under stress. It's almost like a bear that goes into hibernation. In addition, if I disturb him when he's in his own little world, then he lashes out at me very angrily? So is this a common 5 reaction? Do the rest of you type 5's do this as well?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Grrrrrr go away.

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This sounds normal, I would watch from a distance though because it sounds like he's bordering on the unhealthy. Lemme just stress the "from a distance" part though.

Silveresque

My brother is a type 5 and he seems to retreat, talk to no one, and go into his own little world when he is under stress. It's almost like a bear that goes into hibernation. In addition, if I disturb him when he's in his own little world, then he lashes out at me very angrily? So is this a common 5 reaction? Do the rest of you type 5's do this as well?

I do this, except for the lashing out angrily. I just growl internally and think really mean thoughts I wouldn't dare say out loud. Don't know what type I am though....

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Is he an SP dom? Sounds more like a situation specific conservation of energy and resources than just a 5 trait, though 5's may well be better at it.

G

Glycerine

When I get really stressed, I have the biggest urge to break off all my ties or become super impulsive and pretend like nothing's wrong. However, if people try to get too close to my thoughts and feelings in either instance, I tend to lash out at them. I can become very critical and point out all their flaws so that they will leave me alone.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Is he an SP dom? Sounds more like a situation specific conservation of energy and resources than just a 5 trait, though 5's may well be better at it.

Yes. He's a self pres 5. Also he has a strong 8w9 fix. That could explain it as well.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

That sounds right....completely cut off any contact, and if contact is made from another person, I will try to bite thier head off to take control back

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Err. I do this as well. More like a cat cornered, but yes. Do not come into my personal space bubble unless you are my SO and he knows to tread *very* carefully. Im a 4w5 though, but when I do that, it means basically that my emotions at that point are not reigned in. They are raw. That also means that you are an idiot to think you won't get smacked around by them if you deliberately prod me in some way. I isolate myself for your own f*cking benefit so you won't have to deal with this shit. You coming in where you are not invited means Im no longer able nor willing to keep you safe.

Just saying.

As I said, my SO is the only one Ill tolerate peeking in and he knows the risks very well.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

To some extent, yes. Moreso when I was younger.

Nicodemus

I would say it is an introvert thing. Being under stress means burning energy. Being an introvert means recharging in solitude. The lashing out part probably stems from the fact that you, who should know better than to disturb him, do not know better: a failure on your part but at his expense.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I would say it is an introvert thing. Being under stress means burning energy. Being an introvert means recharging in solitude. The lashing out part probably stems from the fact that you, who should know better than to disturb him, do not know better: a failure on your part but at his expense.

I just don't know how to deal with him. He's the worst person with communication that I've ever met.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I just don't know how to deal with him. He's the worst person with communication that I've ever met.

Just let him be.

I definitely do this. People trying to help or approach me before I'm under control or ready are making a mistake. I will eventually talk to someone I trust but until I'm ready (which may be never depending on the issue), it is best to leave me alone.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To the OP, yes, I absolutely do the hibernation thing and don't want to interact with anyone.

Re. lashing out in anger, I can't say I've done that; however, I've 1) For most of the past 14 years lived alone so it's kind of a moot point, and 2) I think those who do know me well would know to let me be, so I'd never be pestered endlessly in the first place, thus would never reach a point of anger and having to push back.

W

WhoCares

Solitude is my default recovery mode. No I don't want well meaning individuals trying to cheer me up either. I just want my recovery time. Someone intruding into that no matter how well intentioned is preventing me from my own recovery process and that's a direct threat and a large annoyance as well.

Burger King

I do the same thing and I'm not a 5.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I tend to retreat more into my head, and spend a lot of time alone, when I can, under a lot of stress. I attribute this to just introverson moreso than being 5[w6]. I just need to recharge and reflect. I can be slightly more emotionally reactive when I'm that drained, it's easy to lose perspective, but I don't really lash out at people. Because I am aware of this propensity, I try to maintain distance for this reason, as well.

Sometimes I do this 'hibernation' just when I'm drained and not stressed, it's just a matter of recharging overall, just part of my natural rhythm.

I've made it a habit of informing close friends that if I'm distant at certain times, I'm not mad at them, everything's fine, I'm just low-energy/need some time to myself. Most of the time, that clarification clears up any confusion/prevents a lot of uninvited prodding into my life.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

give him space. If you realllllllllly want to let him know you care about him being stressed out, you can say something like, ''I don't wanna pry a ton or anything but it seems like there's something bothering you- I'm around if you wanna talk at any point, but if not, that's cool, too.''

and leave it at that. I know ENTPs are always dying to collect more data, but sometimes people need space, and maybe afterwards, they'll talk to you. And maybe sometimes they won't. But it's what they need to deal with their problems, that counts, right?

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Err. I do this as well. More like a cat cornered, but yes. Do not come into my personal space bubble unless you are my SO and he knows to tread *very* carefully. Im a 4w5 though, but when I do that, it means basically that my emotions at that point are not reigned in. They are raw. That also means that you are an idiot to think you won't get smacked around by them if you deliberately prod me in some way. I isolate myself for your own f*cking benefit so you won't have to deal with this shit. You coming in where you are not invited means Im no longer able nor willing to keep you safe.

Yea this explains it exactly for me...I am an extravert....but my FEELINGS are mostly introverted...and I need to reflect on them and figure them out alone...and don't want to be interrupted...because they are "raw"

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Just let him be.

I definitely do this. People trying to help or approach me before I'm under control or ready are making a mistake. I will eventually talk to someone I trust but until I'm ready (which may be never depending on the issue), it is best to leave me alone.

Yes and I try my best to do that except with issues with time-constraints like pooling out money to pay bills. That's when problems arise.