User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 22

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    2,841

    Default CP 6 and the Relationship with the Police

    For the first time in my life, I was stopped by and questioned by a couple police officers late at night. To sum it up quickly; walking home from work at 11:00pm, take shortcut throught Target/mall parking lot that leads around the desolate backside of the mall, police stop me, ask for ID and where I'm heading, I tell them why I walk that way, they ask a few other questions, inform me that apparently that area of the mall is off limits at night. they mention how they don't want me to walk that way in the future but will let me walk back there once last time as a shortcut.

    The ordeal itself wasn't too bad though; I wasn't upset or angry by it. A little nervous certainly, as that was my first encounter with the police in such a situation, but overall somewhat cool about it (had something like that occured to me when I was a young kid I'm certain I would have cried from the stress of the event).

    However; counter phobic sixes seemed to be defined by their opposition to authority in any form. Now while I don't appreciate authority on principle (granted I usually do have contempt for it), I'm certainly not going to show senseless hostility towards the police in such an event. I understand why they stopped and me and that they were following orders as to enforce the law.

    My question is this; can a cp6 be okay with the police in this regard? Can a cp6 be stopped by the police and be perfectly fine with them so long as they have done no actual wrong? And what could be said as the standard relationship between a cp6 and local authority figures?

  2. #2
    ... Tyrinth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    I don't know how relevant this is, but I'm a largely phobic 6w5 (I think.), and I get pissed off whenever I see a cop, even though I would never dare break any laws...

    A couple years ago I was riding with a family member when they got pulled over for going 65 in a 55 zone, and even though I wasn't in any trouble, I got extremely pissed off in that situation, and I'm not completely sure why. Bonus points for about 15 minutes after this incident we got passed by a cop going 70-something in a 55 zone without lights on...

    So, I don't really have the best relationship with local authority figures, even though I have no real reason to have problems with them. I can't quite figure it out.
    ...

  3. #3
    Senior Member The Great One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    3,461

    Default

    Most counter-phobic 6's that I know have at least a misdemeanor. Just saying.

  4. #4
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    6s have an ambivalent attitude toward authority; a preoccupation. They may even see the good of usage of authority. However, they tend to be skeptical of authority, and as counterphobics strongly resist being directly controlled.

    I personally am deeply fascinated by government, including institutions that are viewed as "nanny state" or "authoritarian" and I admit to even having some kind of sexual fetish toward higher ranking officials in some cases.

    On the other hand, I think a lot of police officers are ignorant and they should be better educated and better trained, and some abuse their power, so in general my attitude toward them is ambivalent. I'm not all like "oh we don't need the police" because that would be stupid because what are people going to have shoot outs in their front yard, but on the other hand I am very very wary in reality of the police abusing their power, and I tend to be defiant if I disagree.

  5. #5
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,885

    Default

    Had the same thing happen when I was 19 walking through an auto dealership parking lot a block from my parents house. I was incensed by it but said nothing. Maybe they should focus their energies on things that are a bit more important.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  6. #6
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Had the same thing happen when I was 19 walking through an auto dealership parking lot a block from my parents house. I was incensed by it but said nothing. Maybe they should focus their energies on things that are a bit more important.
    I've had two major run-ins with cops, actually, when I lived in Vegas one of my friends dropped me off at the corner because they were in a hurry, and I was going to my boyfriend's house (my bf of six years, btw, a neighborhood where I frequently was and at one point lived) in a decent suburban neighborhood in the middle of the afternoon.

    The police stopped me and questioned me and it was fascinating, really, because I think they thought I was a prostitute. I was pretty annoyed and indignant, but I wasn't afraid because I wasn't doing anything wrong, and in memory it kind of amuses me, like jesus what losers.

    I also had an incident with some redneck cops in NC because of a traffic offense. I think it's best to avoid small towns for that reason, I think it's better to live somewhere where they actually have MOAR IMPORTANT THINGS TO DO.

    Still it would be irrational for me to think that the police or government structures aren't necessary.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    2,841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    I don't know how relevant this is, but I'm a largely phobic 6w5 (I think.), and I get pissed off whenever I see a cop, even though I would never dare break any laws...
    Funny enough I'm quite the opposite; I'm emotionally indifferent when I see cops or security guards, yet I break the rules all the time (sneakily of course; don't want to get caught).

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Most counter-phobic 6's that I know have at least a misdemeanor. Just saying.
    Well, I have yet to get caught. Granted I've commited a couple felonies (I think; legal jurisdiction varies by state).

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    6s have an ambivalent attitude toward authority; a preoccupation. They may even see the good of usage of authority. However, they tend to be skeptical of authority, and as counterphobics strongly resist being directly controlled.
    Well I certainly agree with the idea of not being controlled by another; although in certain cirumstances I will sumbit if it is necessary to avoid retribution (not that I'll like or want to though).

    I personally am deeply fascinated by government, including institutions that are viewed as "nanny state" or "authoritarian" and I admit to even having some kind of sexual fetish toward higher ranking officials in some cases.

    On the other hand, I think a lot of police officers are ignorant and they should be better educated and better trained, and some abuse their power, so in general my attitude toward them is ambivalent. I'm not all like "oh we don't need the police" because that would be stupid because what are people going to have shoot outs in their front yard, but on the other hand I am very very wary in reality of the police abusing their power, and I tend to be defiant if I disagree.
    I agree. The structure of any society inevitably leads to a hierarchy in which certain levels of power are displaced. There's always going to be certain types of authority as the result of how government is designed and managed. Thus it is imperative to study such power relationships cautiously and with a skeptical eye, so that we can counter abusesof power and anticipate possible future abuses from happening altogther. There's no getting rid of the system, merely changing it from the inside out and progressing towards something better. So for where authority stands right we can respect such rules, but where it stands wrong requires not just an adjustment of the rules, but a disobedient breaking of them.

  8. #8
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    @Savage Idealist

    You have really committed felonies? You think?

    I do feel a bit nervous about cops just because they're armed. You know when people have a rifle strapped to their back, I tend to want to smile at them. I mean typically they just have smaller guns in their holster, but I don't play around with people who are free to shoot at will, basically.

    That's why I can't be emotionally indifferent to them.

    I agree with your last paragraph.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    2,841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Had the same thing happen when I was 19 walking through an auto dealership parking lot a block from my parents house. I was incensed by it but said nothing. Maybe they should focus their energies on things that are a bit more important.
    I agree that the police probably have better thing to do than prevent people from walking in certain areas. I can't be sure if the police that night were acting on their own agenda, or is they were commissioned to deter people from trespassing. Although my mother mention how they were probably just harrasing me, which may be likely given that; 1. There's no signs anyway that indicate that pedastrians can't walk around such places at night, and 2. They let me walk through there for one last time, but if they were willing to let me do that, then why prevent me from walking back there in the future? In fact, that leads me to beleive that the mall owner told the police to gaurd the area as off limits, but they were in fact being nice to me and giving me a break (plus fair warning for the future).

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    2,841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    @Savage Idealist

    You have really committed felonies? You think?
    The offences may have been just misdemeanors; I've carried a concealed weapon on me in the past (and on college campus), trespassed anywhere I so desired, and punched a man in the face. The worst thing that I've ever done however, I think could be considered a felony, but I'm not going to share what that is; just that is was a very evil thing to do towards another.

    I do feel a bit nervous about cops just because they're armed. You know when people have an rifle strapped to their back, I tend to want to smile at them. I mean typically they just have smaller guns in their holster, but I don't play around with people who are free to shoot at will, basically.

    That's why I can't be emotionally indifferent to them.
    For me, I'm more afraid of the tazer or baton, and the general fact that they're trained in Ju-Jitsu and in excellent shape. That, and just how nasty bad cops can be when they victimize innocent people. In fact, watching videos of police harming people in a vicious manner does leave me with an uncomfortable feeling in my gut, as well as a lot of anger towards the offense. But it they're doing what they should be doing, and not hurting innocent people, then I'm usually okay with that.

    In fact, I remember watching a video where a mall cop was getting in an argument with some skateboarding punk outside the mall that led to a fight (and that skateboarder for all his size could not throw a good punch to save his life). In that case, I was on the side of the mall cop; the kid was completely out of line and stupid.

    I agree with your last paragraph.
    Great minds think alike.

Similar Threads

  1. [INTP] "My Stormy and Painful Relationship with an INTP Man"
    By Darya in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 09-24-2012, 07:49 AM
  2. [NF] Self-worth and your relationships with others
    By SilkRoad in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-10-2009, 04:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO