• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 6] CP 6 and the Relationship with the Police

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For the first time in my life, I was stopped by and questioned by a couple police officers late at night. To sum it up quickly; walking home from work at 11:00pm, take shortcut throught Target/mall parking lot that leads around the desolate backside of the mall, police stop me, ask for ID and where I'm heading, I tell them why I walk that way, they ask a few other questions, inform me that apparently that area of the mall is off limits at night. they mention how they don't want me to walk that way in the future but will let me walk back there once last time as a shortcut.

The ordeal itself wasn't too bad though; I wasn't upset or angry by it. A little nervous certainly, as that was my first encounter with the police in such a situation, but overall somewhat cool about it (had something like that occured to me when I was a young kid I'm certain I would have cried from the stress of the event).

However; counter phobic sixes seemed to be defined by their opposition to authority in any form. Now while I don't appreciate authority on principle (granted I usually do have contempt for it), I'm certainly not going to show senseless hostility towards the police in such an event. I understand why they stopped and me and that they were following orders as to enforce the law.

My question is this; can a cp6 be okay with the police in this regard? Can a cp6 be stopped by the police and be perfectly fine with them so long as they have done no actual wrong? And what could be said as the standard relationship between a cp6 and local authority figures?

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know how relevant this is, but I'm a largely phobic 6w5 (I think.), and I get pissed off whenever I see a cop, even though I would never dare break any laws...

A couple years ago I was riding with a family member when they got pulled over for going 65 in a 55 zone, and even though I wasn't in any trouble, I got extremely pissed off in that situation, and I'm not completely sure why. Bonus points for about 15 minutes after this incident we got passed by a cop going 70-something in a 55 zone without lights on...

So, I don't really have the best relationship with local authority figures, even though I have no real reason to have problems with them. I can't quite figure it out.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Most counter-phobic 6's that I know have at least a misdemeanor. Just saying.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
6s have an ambivalent attitude toward authority; a preoccupation. They may even see the good of usage of authority. However, they tend to be skeptical of authority, and as counterphobics strongly resist being directly controlled.

I personally am deeply fascinated by government, including institutions that are viewed as "nanny state" or "authoritarian" and I admit to even having some kind of sexual fetish toward higher ranking officials in some cases.

On the other hand, I think a lot of police officers are ignorant and they should be better educated and better trained, and some abuse their power, so in general my attitude toward them is ambivalent. I'm not all like "oh we don't need the police" because that would be stupid because what are people going to have shoot outs in their front yard, but on the other hand I am very very wary in reality of the police abusing their power, and I tend to be defiant if I disagree.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Had the same thing happen when I was 19 walking through an auto dealership parking lot a block from my parents house. I was incensed by it but said nothing. Maybe they should focus their energies on things that are a bit more important.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Had the same thing happen when I was 19 walking through an auto dealership parking lot a block from my parents house. I was incensed by it but said nothing. Maybe they should focus their energies on things that are a bit more important.

I've had two major run-ins with cops, actually, when I lived in Vegas one of my friends dropped me off at the corner because they were in a hurry, and I was going to my boyfriend's house (my bf of six years, btw, a neighborhood where I frequently was and at one point lived) in a decent suburban neighborhood in the middle of the afternoon.

The police stopped me and questioned me and it was fascinating, really, because I think they thought I was a prostitute. I was pretty annoyed and indignant, but I wasn't afraid because I wasn't doing anything wrong, and in memory it kind of amuses me, like jesus what losers.

I also had an incident with some redneck cops in NC because of a traffic offense. I think it's best to avoid small towns for that reason, I think it's better to live somewhere where they actually have MOAR IMPORTANT THINGS TO DO.

Still it would be irrational for me to think that the police or government structures aren't necessary.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't know how relevant this is, but I'm a largely phobic 6w5 (I think.), and I get pissed off whenever I see a cop, even though I would never dare break any laws...

Funny enough I'm quite the opposite; I'm emotionally indifferent when I see cops or security guards, yet I break the rules all the time (sneakily of course; don't want to get caught).

Most counter-phobic 6's that I know have at least a misdemeanor. Just saying.

Well, I have yet to get caught. Granted I've commited a couple felonies (I think; legal jurisdiction varies by state).

6s have an ambivalent attitude toward authority; a preoccupation. They may even see the good of usage of authority. However, they tend to be skeptical of authority, and as counterphobics strongly resist being directly controlled.

Well I certainly agree with the idea of not being controlled by another; although in certain cirumstances I will sumbit if it is necessary to avoid retribution (not that I'll like or want to though).

I personally am deeply fascinated by government, including institutions that are viewed as "nanny state" or "authoritarian" and I admit to even having some kind of sexual fetish toward higher ranking officials in some cases.

On the other hand, I think a lot of police officers are ignorant and they should be better educated and better trained, and some abuse their power, so in general my attitude toward them is ambivalent. I'm not all like "oh we don't need the police" because that would be stupid because what are people going to have shoot outs in their front yard, but on the other hand I am very very wary in reality of the police abusing their power, and I tend to be defiant if I disagree.

I agree. The structure of any society inevitably leads to a hierarchy in which certain levels of power are displaced. There's always going to be certain types of authority as the result of how government is designed and managed. Thus it is imperative to study such power relationships cautiously and with a skeptical eye, so that we can counter abusesof power and anticipate possible future abuses from happening altogther. There's no getting rid of the system, merely changing it from the inside out and progressing towards something better. So for where authority stands right we can respect such rules, but where it stands wrong requires not just an adjustment of the rules, but a disobedient breaking of them.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
[MENTION=10919]Savage Idealist[/MENTION]

You have really committed felonies? You think?

I do feel a bit nervous about cops just because they're armed. You know when people have a rifle strapped to their back, I tend to want to smile at them. I mean typically they just have smaller guns in their holster, but I don't play around with people who are free to shoot at will, basically.

That's why I can't be emotionally indifferent to them.

I agree with your last paragraph.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I agree that the police probably have better thing to do than prevent people from walking in certain areas. I can't be sure if the police that night were acting on their own agenda, or is they were commissioned to deter people from trespassing. Although my mother mention how they were probably just harrasing me, which may be likely given that; 1. There's no signs anyway that indicate that pedastrians can't walk around such places at night, and 2. They let me walk through there for one last time, but if they were willing to let me do that, then why prevent me from walking back there in the future? In fact, that leads me to beleive that the mall owner told the police to gaurd the area as off limits, but they were in fact being nice to me and giving me a break (plus fair warning for the future).

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=10919]Savage Idealist[/MENTION]

You have really committed felonies? You think?

The offences may have been just misdemeanors; I've carried a concealed weapon on me in the past (and on college campus), trespassed anywhere I so desired, and punched a man in the face. The worst thing that I've ever done however, I think could be considered a felony, but I'm not going to share what that is; just that is was a very evil thing to do towards another.

I do feel a bit nervous about cops just because they're armed. You know when people have an rifle strapped to their back, I tend to want to smile at them. I mean typically they just have smaller guns in their holster, but I don't play around with people who are free to shoot at will, basically.

That's why I can't be emotionally indifferent to them.

For me, I'm more afraid of the tazer or baton, and the general fact that they're trained in Ju-Jitsu and in excellent shape. That, and just how nasty bad cops can be when they victimize innocent people. In fact, watching videos of police harming people in a vicious manner does leave me with an uncomfortable feeling in my gut, as well as a lot of anger towards the offense. But it they're doing what they should be doing, and not hurting innocent people, then I'm usually okay with that.

In fact, I remember watching a video where a mall cop was getting in an argument with some skateboarding punk outside the mall that led to a fight (and that skateboarder for all his size could not throw a good punch to save his life). In that case, I was on the side of the mall cop; the kid was completely out of line and stupid.

I agree with your last paragraph.

Great minds think alike.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I think I'm a cp 6w5, and when I was younger I used to get a little smart-assy and recalcitrant with cops if I thought I was right. Otherwise I'd do things like speed deliberately and see how far I could push it without getting pulled over...but in those cases I'd know I was wrong and just accept the consequences/cooperate. I'd be lying if I said I don't feel a little flash of annoyance every time I see a cop or their stupid cruisers, though, even as I recognize the importance of their role (reluctantly...goddamn repressive state apparatus...fuck pigs, lol.)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Personally, I am very highly attuned to authority, and very on edge around law enforcement officials. But my grandpa was an NYC city cop, actually, and I generally tend to see the police in a good light. There are some police who abuse power but there are more who are good people trying to do a hard job.

My most significant law breech is probably speeding. I average 10 mph over. I've only gotten one ticket thus far, but if I get another, well, fuck me, I know good and well I'm breaking the rules.

MXZCCT

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
I grew up with a chief of police in the household. So, naturally I have certain knowledge when it comes to law enforcement. More so a broad knowledge compared to a deep understanding.

I'm also a 6w5 CP, and I've had my fair share of encounters with police, getting pulled over, patted down and searched, etc. Most of the time the reasons were reasonable so i did not have much of an issue, but some of their attitudes could have been better. This is were I tend to challenge the badge holder.

I expect to be treated with respect.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Gw4rd1.jpg

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For the first time in my life, I was stopped by and questioned by a couple police officers late at night. To sum it up quickly; walking home from work at 11:00pm, take shortcut throught Target/mall parking lot that leads around the desolate backside of the mall, police stop me, ask for ID and where I'm heading, I tell them why I walk that way, they ask a few other questions, inform me that apparently that area of the mall is off limits at night. they mention how they don't want me to walk that way in the future but will let me walk back there once last time as a shortcut.

The ordeal itself wasn't too bad though; I wasn't upset or angry by it. A little nervous certainly, as that was my first encounter with the police in such a situation, but overall somewhat cool about it (had something like that occured to me when I was a young kid I'm certain I would have cried from the stress of the event).

However; counter phobic sixes seemed to be defined by their opposition to authority in any form. Now while I don't appreciate authority on principle (granted I usually do have contempt for it), I'm certainly not going to show senseless hostility towards the police in such an event. I understand why they stopped and me and that they were following orders as to enforce the law.

My question is this; can a cp6 be okay with the police in this regard? Can a cp6 be stopped by the police and be perfectly fine with them so long as they have done no actual wrong? And what could be said as the standard relationship between a cp6 and local authority figures?

I'm a cp 6 and I think you might be confused wih how a cp6 gets their anti-authoritarian reputation. A cp6 isn't going to buck authority for the sake of it or because it is there.
In your example, there would be no reason to be upset or react. The police did their job and you went on your way.

A cp6 has problems with authority when they lose respect for it. Every "rebellion" I've ever had was not geared toward an abstract authority or concept (i.e. police, government). It was specifically a person in a position of authority I no longer respected or trusted their judgement. That's always based on factual evidence. Not a whim or overall mistrust of authority in general.

Ive always respected their position until or unless their decisions are damaging to me or those I care about. Then I will stand up to them. It looks like rebellion but it really comes from a place of protecting my own interests or those who can't protect themselves.

Basically cp6's view someone in authority as no different than any other person in that they deserve respect and to be treated fairly. Just because someone has a title means nothing if they are not respectful or fair. Cp6's have very strong feelings of fairness and they hold themselves to that same standard. If someone is abusing power just because of a title then we usually call them out. It's very egalitarian. How we call them out has a lot to do with maturity and knowing when to pick the battle and when to leave it.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm a cp 6 and I think you might be confused wih how a cp6 gets their anti-authoritarian reputation. A cp6 isn't going to buck authority for the sake of it or because it is there.
In your example, there would be no reason to be upset or react. The police did their job and you went on your way.

A cp6 has problems with authority when they lose respect for it. Every "rebellion" I've ever had was not geared toward an abstract authority or concept (i.e. police, government). It was specifically a person in a position of authority I no longer respected or trusted their judgement. That's always based on factual evidence. Not a whim or overall mistrust of authority in general.

Ive always respected their position until or unless their decisions are damaging to me or those I care about. Then I will stand up to them. It looks like rebellion but it really comes from a place of protecting my own interests or those who can't protect themselves.

Basically cp6's view someone in authority as no different than any other person in that they deserve respect and to be treated fairly. Just because someone has a title means nothing if they are not respectful or fair. Cp6's have very strong feelings of fairness and they hold themselves to that same standard. If someone is abusing power just because of a title then we usually call them out. It's very egalitarian. How we call them out has a lot to do with maturity and knowing when to pick the battle and when to leave it.

Hm, that certainly makes sense and clears up my previous mis-conception about the nature of cp6 and authority.

I'm going to fully agree with this statement.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

This is a great post!

H

Hate

For the first time in my life, I was stopped by and questioned by a couple police officers late at night.

Congrats on getting your cherry popped.

As for me, this is my usual initial reaction when I see the police.

Here's me after I get away.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

This is an excellent, excellent explanation.