User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I think I'm a cp 6w5, and when I was younger I used to get a little smart-assy and recalcitrant with cops if I thought I was right. Otherwise I'd do things like speed deliberately and see how far I could push it without getting pulled over...but in those cases I'd know I was wrong and just accept the consequences/cooperate. I'd be lying if I said I don't feel a little flash of annoyance every time I see a cop or their stupid cruisers, though, even as I recognize the importance of their role (reluctantly...goddamn repressive state apparatus...fuck pigs, lol.)
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Personally, I am very highly attuned to authority, and very on edge around law enforcement officials. But my grandpa was an NYC city cop, actually, and I generally tend to see the police in a good light. There are some police who abuse power but there are more who are good people trying to do a hard job.

My most significant law breech is probably speeding. I average 10 mph over. I've only gotten one ticket thus far, but if I get another, well, fuck me, I know good and well I'm breaking the rules.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

I grew up with a chief of police in the household. So, naturally I have certain knowledge when it comes to law enforcement. More so a broad knowledge compared to a deep understanding.

I'm also a 6w5 CP, and I've had my fair share of encounters with police, getting pulled over, patted down and searched, etc. Most of the time the reasons were reasonable so i did not have much of an issue, but some of their attitudes could have been better. This is were I tend to challenge the badge holder.

I expect to be treated with respect.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    For the first time in my life, I was stopped by and questioned by a couple police officers late at night. To sum it up quickly; walking home from work at 11:00pm, take shortcut throught Target/mall parking lot that leads around the desolate backside of the mall, police stop me, ask for ID and where I'm heading, I tell them why I walk that way, they ask a few other questions, inform me that apparently that area of the mall is off limits at night. they mention how they don't want me to walk that way in the future but will let me walk back there once last time as a shortcut.

The ordeal itself wasn't too bad though; I wasn't upset or angry by it. A little nervous certainly, as that was my first encounter with the police in such a situation, but overall somewhat cool about it (had something like that occured to me when I was a young kid I'm certain I would have cried from the stress of the event).

However; counter phobic sixes seemed to be defined by their opposition to authority in any form. Now while I don't appreciate authority on principle (granted I usually do have contempt for it), I'm certainly not going to show senseless hostility towards the police in such an event. I understand why they stopped and me and that they were following orders as to enforce the law.

My question is this; can a cp6 be okay with the police in this regard? Can a cp6 be stopped by the police and be perfectly fine with them so long as they have done no actual wrong? And what could be said as the standard relationship between a cp6 and local authority figures?
    I'm a cp 6 and I think you might be confused wih how a cp6 gets their anti-authoritarian reputation. A cp6 isn't going to buck authority for the sake of it or because it is there.
    In your example, there would be no reason to be upset or react. The police did their job and you went on your way.

A cp6 has problems with authority when they lose respect for it. Every "rebellion" I've ever had was not geared toward an abstract authority or concept (i.e. police, government). It was specifically a person in a position of authority I no longer respected or trusted their judgement. That's always based on factual evidence. Not a whim or overall mistrust of authority in general.

Ive always respected their position until or unless their decisions are damaging to me or those I care about. Then I will stand up to them. It looks like rebellion but it really comes from a place of protecting my own interests or those who can't protect themselves.

Basically cp6's view someone in authority as no different than any other person in that they deserve respect and to be treated fairly. Just because someone has a title means nothing if they are not respectful or fair. Cp6's have very strong feelings of fairness and they hold themselves to that same standard. If someone is abusing power just because of a title then we usually call them out. It's very egalitarian. How we call them out has a lot to do with maturity and knowing when to pick the battle and when to leave it.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    I'm a cp 6 and I think you might be confused wih how a cp6 gets their anti-authoritarian reputation. A cp6 isn't going to buck authority for the sake of it or because it is there.
    In your example, there would be no reason to be upset or react. The police did their job and you went on your way.

A cp6 has problems with authority when they lose respect for it. Every "rebellion" I've ever had was not geared toward an abstract authority or concept (i.e. police, government). It was specifically a person in a position of authority I no longer respected or trusted their judgement. That's always based on factual evidence. Not a whim or overall mistrust of authority in general.

Ive always respected their position until or unless their decisions are damaging to me or those I care about. Then I will stand up to them. It looks like rebellion but it really comes from a place of protecting my own interests or those who can't protect themselves.

Basically cp6's view someone in authority as no different than any other person in that they deserve respect and to be treated fairly. Just because someone has a title means nothing if they are not respectful or fair. Cp6's have very strong feelings of fairness and they hold themselves to that same standard. If someone is abusing power just because of a title then we usually call them out. It's very egalitarian. How we call them out has a lot to do with maturity and knowing when to pick the battle and when to leave it.
    Hm, that certainly makes sense and clears up my previous mis-conception about the nature of cp6 and authority.

I'm going to fully agree with this statement.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

This is a great post!

Hate

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    For the first time in my life, I was stopped by and questioned by a couple police officers late at night.
    Congrats on getting your cherry popped.

As for me, this is my usual initial reaction when I see the police.

Here's me after I get away.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Congrats on getting your cherry popped.
    Thanks.

As for me, this is my usual initial reaction when I see the police.

Here's me after I get away.

Nice getaway.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

This is an excellent, excellent explanation.