User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Default 6s Not Quickly Figuring Out Their Type

Greetings, fellow skeptics!

I've noticed lately a lot of 6s on here talking about how they were mistyped for awhile or generally took a long time to come around to settling on being a 6. I was also watching the beginning of this video, and a woman on there says that she went to an enneagram seminar and was the only one who didn't know her type at the end, and the seminar leader said that meant she was a 6. I'm thinking that at least part of the reason for this trend is because 6s are naturally indecisive creatures. I have a couple other theories about this. But I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are for why so many people take a long time to realize they are a 6.

And I'm also wondering if there are any other weirdos out there like me who knew they were a 6 right away and never looked back
    Last edited by Patches; 07-06-2012 at 05:21 AM.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."--Ambrose Redmoon

. . . metamorphosing . . .
    Likes Patrick liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Definitely took me a while to decide on six, and I would guess indecisiveness plays a role in that. I'm looking forward to seeing what others think as well.

Senor Membrae Eugene Watson VIII's Avatar
    MBTI
    iSFP
    Enneagram
    idk sp

I have a friend who tests as a 6, but at first just thought of it as indecisiveness. That could get in the way
    Myers-Briggs: xsFP

Enneagram: 9?-4wX?-5/6

~ People don't think it be like it is, but it do. ~

The Iron Giant

I have always tested as a six and fit the profile. But I have doubted it a number of times as well. I think sixes often doubt their type, just as we doubt most everything.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Yeah, indecisiveness and doubting. But on external terms, I think 6 profiles can tend to revolve around the more STJ 6, or the hyper-phobic, 1-like "prussian" 6.

This is the beginning of the enneagraminstitute.com description:

The committed, security-oriented type. Sixes are reliable, hard-working, responsible, and trustworthy.
    I'm put off right there. I much more relate to 4: "Fours are self-aware, sensitive, and reserved" or 2: "Twos are empathetic, sincere, and warm-hearted." It's not that I don't have the 6 qualities, but they're not how I would primarily qualify myself. Whereas, funny enough, I see my boyfriend in that description, but he's actually a 9.

Better, from ocean.moonshine.net:

People of enneatype Six are essentially insecure, as though life has never quite provided them with a proper footing, as though there existed nothing, either internally or externally, which could serve as a solid foundation. The type Six fixation is therefore deeply and fundamentally existential, and there exists at the core of enneatype Six a tight knot of anxiety, an essential disquietude, and a deep seated desire to find something or someone stable enough in which to place some trust.
    Best:

Sixes feel that if they can find "one sure thing," they can quiet their restlessness, and achieve some semblance of much needed "peace of mind."
    I think it's much more important to look at the basic fears/desires, but those are very deep-seated and often hard to identify without clues. For me, 6 finally clicked when I realized that indecisiveness is the single most challenging aspect of my personality to overcome.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I'm pretty sure I'm a 6w7 SO/SX, and it took me forever to decide on this.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

I'm a 6w5. One day I'm an ISTP, the next I'm an INTJ.
    Then when I'm feeling feisty, I tag myself as an ESTP.

I chalk it up to being weird more than Enneagram type.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm a 6w7 SO/SX, and it took me forever to decide on this.
    Yeah im exactly the same, (which of course you already knew from my blog), I used to think I was 1w2 but once I read up on 6w7 and it was suggested to me, I havn't looked back.

So/sx is also my instinctual varient. Ive certainly had trouble with my MBTI type and I doubt I will ever be certain because I spend far too much time looking for some form of security and solidness to put my feet onto.

Im currently in the process of teaching myself to ignore this and instead accept the randomness of true reality.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    ARGH
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    BLAh

I think it's easier for 6w5s and for SJs to identify as 6s since the descriptions seem to be biassed towards those types...as some already said (about SJs)...

It also took me forever to accept that I'm a 6w7 even after it had been pointed out to me several times. I just couldn't identify with the descriptions ect and people seeing me as a 6w7 made me feel extremely misunderstood. The 4 and 5 descriptions for example seemed to fit so much better.

In the end it all comes from a superficial understanding of the types and from not seeing the true underlying motivations - of yourself and of the respective types.

6w7(sw7w8) 9w1(sw1w2) 2w3(sw1w2)
    sp/sx ascetic

The Iron Giant

^^ exactly right, Sneaky. People who are examining their enneagram type ought to start with motivations and fears and work from there. Any description is only going to be an extrapolation. They can be helpful, but they're not the defining means of finding a type.