First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I'm a 6. I know that for sure though for a year or so, I thought I was an 8. I don't really understand all of this "indecisiveness" talk. I don't think that is the central characteristic of a 6 - to be indecisive.

The reason 6s have a hard time identifying their type is because there are so many conflicting aspects to their personality and because 6 is the most complex Enneagram personality type to comprehend. This statement from Don Riso sums it up.

"They are both strong and weak, fearful and courageous, trusting and distrusting, defenders and provokers, sweet and sour, aggressive and passive, bullies and weaklings, on the defensive and on the offensive, thinkers and doers, group people and soloists, believers and doubters, cooperative and obstructionistic, tender and mean, generous and petty—and on and on. It is the contradictory picture that is the characteristic “fingerprint” of Sixes, the fact that they are a bundle of opposites."
    Quote Originally Posted by SubtleFighter View Post
    I don't know if it's a central characteristic, but I think the reason many 6s say they're indecisive is because of self-doubt. I wonder if there's a difference in seeing a lot of self-doubt between phobic and counterphobic 6s (I don't know whether most of the people in this thread are more phobic or counterphobic; that's just something I'm throwing out as a possibility)
    At least for me, those are two in the same. I suppose as an ENFP, because my primary Judgment function is Fi, which relates directly to who I am - self-doubt is indecisiveness because when I waffle in terms of my inner core, my decision-making ability is totally thrown off too.

defying your expectations SoraMayhem's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I'm a 6. I know that for sure though for a year or so, I thought I was an 8. I don't really understand all of this "indecisiveness" talk. I don't think that is the central characteristic of a 6 - to be indecisive.

The reason 6s have a hard time identifying their type is because there are so many conflicting aspects to their personality and because 6 is the most complex Enneagram personality type to comprehend. This statement from Don Riso sums it up.

"They are both strong and weak, fearful and courageous, trusting and distrusting, defenders and provokers, sweet and sour, aggressive and passive, bullies and weaklings, on the defensive and on the offensive, thinkers and doers, group people and soloists, believers and doubters, cooperative and obstructionistic, tender and mean, generous and petty—and on and on. It is the contradictory picture that is the characteristic “fingerprint” of Sixes, the fact that they are a bundle of opposites."
    Great quote! I'm a type 6, and I haven't been indecisive about my type as much as just confused. For a long time I considered myself a 4, then a 5, a 9, then a 7, before learning more about type 6s, especially those who have strong counterphobic tendencies. I am indecisive, to a degree, but like said above, mostly due to a contradictory nature. This, in my understanding, is the primary nature of a 6.
    4w5-1w2-5w4 -- RLUAI -- Chaotic Good/Neutral

Johari -- Nohari

Ask me about my crippling social dysfunction!

I know the thread is a bit old, but could you suggest me some good descriptions? since Ive discovered the enneagram Im switching types like crazy, I thought of being 1,2,4,5,6 and 9. I ruled 1,2 and 9 out and thought about being a 4 but I dont really know

MBTI
    yupp

I still can't figure it out

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by lume View Post
    I know the thread is a bit old, but could you suggest me some good descriptions? since Ive discovered the enneagram Im switching types like crazy, I thought of being 1,2,4,5,6 and 9. I ruled 1,2 and 9 out and thought about being a 4 but I dont really know
    Are you constantly scanning your environment for danger.

I'm watching the video from the OP in this thread right now, and the description of the animal near the lion is a very good example.
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

Im not sure exactly. Maybe? Sorry I cant really tell. But Im usually a very anxious person, always under tension.

WhoCares

I'm only a w6, but I really hated the idea of having a 6 wing because it just seemed so limiting. Would have much prefered to be a 5w4 instead but when push comes to shove I've got that 6 thing going on. When I'm honest with myself the 6 fears and disintegration speak of me more than the 4's. I'm still tryig to find the upside of this wing and indeed the upside of being a core 5 as well. It seems my enneagram just describes a fairly limited individual. Although the fears and motivations speak loudly to me It kind of rankles me that I'm not nearly as latently brilliant as I think I am.

WhoCares

Quote Originally Posted by lume View Post
    Im not sure exactly. Maybe? Sorry I cant really tell. But Im usually a very anxious person, always under tension.
    But that alone could be many types under stress. The 6 in me means I carry an underlying suspicion of everything. Not in a paranoid way, but my first inclination is to look for the 'catch' in everything first rather than be dazzled by the ideal being offered. I wont take things on face value and instad try and dig down a but to find out why this opportunity or thing is being presented to me. Whats the ulterior motive is the question I ask always. Whats the worst that could happen here? Its the assumption of an inherent level of risk attached to everything that I have and my decisions are mostly based on how risky the worst case scenario is. I'm unlikely to ever go bungy jumping or base jumping because the worst case scenario is death.

I do carry that underlying suspicion, but I do it in a nearly paranoid way. Could that be unhealthy six behaviour? I always worry a lot und Im very fearful. I do identify with the fear of e6, but I never really identified with the relationship to authority I think, so that made me exclude e6 for me. Because Im not that following authorities, and Im also not that loyal I guess. (But maybe that could be influence from a 5 wing?)
    There were also many people here who told me in my type me posts that I seem like a sensor, which Im definetely not. Maybe that could be a 6 influence?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Urarienev View Post
    Are you constantly scanning your environment for danger.

I'm watching the video from the OP in this thread right now, and the description of the animal near the lion is a very good example.
    Yes, I tend to think of a horse or deer, who are instinctively prey and herd animals.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    I'm only a w6, but I really hated the idea of having a 6 wing because it just seemed so limiting. Would have much prefered to be a 5w4 instead but when push comes to shove I've got that 6 thing going on. When I'm honest with myself the 6 fears and disintegration speak of me more than the 4's. I'm still tryig to find the upside of this wing and indeed the upside of being a core 5 as well. It seems my enneagram just describes a fairly limited individual. Although the fears and motivations speak loudly to me It kind of rankles me that I'm not nearly as latently brilliant as I think I am.
    Well, certainly the upside of 5 is competency and knowledge. No other type is so secure in their observation and understanding, or takes mastery of information to the same extent. I like 6 for its utility. One of the downsides of 5w4 is how incredibly introverted the type is, tending to live so deeply in their mind and being cut off from the external world to the point where it can be a struggle to leave. 6 on the other hand is naturally ambiverted, straddling between mind and environment, and as such the 6 wing for a 5 can act as a courier of knowledge and ingenuity to the outside world. Your brilliance may be less latent, but it has a better chance of manifesting in the world with tangible results. You are no less brilliant because of your type, of course.