User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Default Type 4's Who Aren't Over-Sensitive Wusses

I'm sure I'm not the only person here who's frustrated with the view of Type 4 being weak little weeping willows, or impossible divas. Can anyone name some 4s who are actually strong, assertive, and heroic? Someone you know personally or a famous person, alive or dead, or even a fictional example. Stating their wing/stacking would be nice also.
    Last edited by Patches; 07-06-2012 at 05:08 AM.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Crickets chirping

Hehe haha sorry man this creature does not exist!
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sx/sp

dude, there's steriotypes about every type, and once you get past those you get diverse and interesting people. no offense but get over it.
    Enneagram: Type 5, Dual Wing, SX/SP Instinct, Tritype 5-3w2-9w8
    MBTI: INTP

Like a Baws

Introverted (I) 57.14% Extroverted (E) 42.86%
    Intuitive (N) 63.16% Sensing (S) 36.84%
    Thinking (T) 70.37% Feeling (F) 29.63%
    Perceiving (P) 56.61% Judging (J) 43.39%

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

What's your idea of "strong, assertive & heroic"? I think that's the issue. Tons of famous artists, poets, musicians, writers, etc, have been 4s, and such people are not known for being weak, passive or lacking in courage. However, they may be known for being emotional & elitist too....

4s are often "champion of the underdogs", associated with being NF also, and that's certainly heroic. 4s are also associated with Romanticism, which is not the sappy, sentimental romantic ideas of modern times, but rather having & acting on strong, passionate, & spontaneous feelings, even if they defy convention.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    What's your idea of "strong, assertive & heroic"? I think that's the issue. Tons of famous artists, poets, musicians, writers, etc, have been 4s, and such people are not known for being weak, passive or lacking in courage. However, they may be known for being emotional & elitist too....

4s are often "champion of the underdogs", associated with being NF also, and that's certainly heroic. 4s are also associated with Romanticism, which is not the sappy, sentimental romantic ideas of modern times, but rather having & acting on strong, passionate, & spontaneous feelings, even if they defy convention.
    Primarily someone who takes control and responsibility over his/her life and doesn't waste time wallowing in useless melancholy.

Basically someone who has integrated to 1.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I'll add one: Cate Blanchett.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud of Thunder View Post
    I'm sure I'm not the only person here who's frustrated with the view of Type 4 being weak little weeping willows, or impossible divas. Can anyone name some 4s who are actually strong, assertive, and heroic? Someone you know personally or a famous person, alive or dead, or even a fictional example. Stating their wing/stacking would be nice also.
    Isn't Johnny Depp a 4? He doesn't seem over-sensitive and seems strong.

But for me, I'm a 4, I'm very sensitive and cry a lot. But I can be brave when I defend something I believe to be true or someone who I really care about (and I've done it!).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Yeah, Johnny Depp is cool. A bit too devil-may-care for my tastes, though.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud of Thunder View Post
    Primarily someone who takes control and responsibility over his/her life and doesn't waste time wallowing in useless melancholy.

Basically someone who has integrated to 1.
    makes more sense. I havent actually looked this up but I think Thomas Jefferson sounds like a 4w5, i could be wrong though
    Enneagram: Type 5, Dual Wing, SX/SP Instinct, Tritype 5-3w2-9w8
    MBTI: INTP

Like a Baws

Introverted (I) 57.14% Extroverted (E) 42.86%
    Intuitive (N) 63.16% Sensing (S) 36.84%
    Thinking (T) 70.37% Feeling (F) 29.63%
    Perceiving (P) 56.61% Judging (J) 43.39%

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I have two friends close enough for me to know for certain they are both 4s.

The first is self-typed as an ENFP 4w3, probably sx/so. I actually had a bit of a falling out with her and don't speak with her anymore, but I have to give it to her that she is quite assertive. She has emotional issues and was depressed for a few years while I knew her, but she's also outspoken, engaging, warm, welcoming, dramatic, and doting. She struggled with traditional school, even though she is very intelligent, but now is in beauty school and is thriving. She is bisexual and very forthright with and assertive of queer culture and rights as well.

The second is, as typed by me, probably 4w5 sx/sp. For a long time I thought she was INFP, but she may be ISFP, because, come to think of it, her art really sings of Ni. We are good friends, though she has recently moved far away to live with her significant other while he finishes graduate school. She has always been very quirky and a little isolated, in the sense that she always will prioritize her own needs and values over whatever is going on in the external world. However, she is an avid artist, and over the years I have watched her improve from odd but creative doodles to stunning, sometimes bizarre works. She uses a lot of archetype and symbology in her art, and she frequently depicts herself in various "transformative" poses. You can tell she struggles with deep emotion like any 4 but she's pretty cool in the way she spills it into her art. She's always been pretty assertive about her ideas and she's strong in her identity.

I wouldn't call either of them particularly "heroic", but to be honest, I don't think that's really so much of a 4 gift. I think that's more something you find in 2s, 8s, 1s. Self-actualized 4s more seem like true individualists, recreating themselves again and again, and being proud of who they are. Their gift to the world is so much in their immediate acceptance of value in everything that people can be and become.