User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Default Type 8's and unhealthy conditioning tests/exercises

So I've noticed that a lot of type 8's tend to put their siblings/friends/family members through unnecessary "conditioning exercises" because they feel that they will make them stronger. For instance, in Tekken, the character "Heihachi Mishima" threw his son Kazuya off of a ledge because he figured if his son could survive that, then he could survive anything. Also, I have a friend who had an 8 father, and he would be much tougher on his daughter than most fathers would and would literally beat her senseless if she didn't get good grades. So 8's, do you put your loved ones though "conditioning training" to make them stronger/what do you do?
    Last edited by Patches; 07-06-2012 at 05:20 AM.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    So I've noticed that a lot of type 8's tend to put their siblings/friends/family members through unnecessary "conditioning exercises" because they feel that they will make them stronger. For instance, in Tekken, the character "Heihachi Mishima" threw his son Kazuya off of a ledge because he figured if his son could survive that, then he could survive anything. Also, I have a friend who had an 8 father, and he would be much tougher on his daughter than most fathers would and would literally beat her senseless if she didn't get good grades. So 8's, do you put your loved ones though "conditioning training" to make them stronger/what do you do?
    No and what you are describing is abuse. Those people don't get the luxury of being called "unhealthy". I don't generally feel most people are strong so the thought never crosses my mind to try to condition them otherwise.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    No and what you are describing is abuse. Those people don't get the luxury of being called "unhealthy". I don't generally feel most people are strong so the thought never crosses my mind to try to condition them otherwise.
    true dat
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ?

As a sister to 7 siblings and a mother to one boy, I can say that this is not true for me, even when I was an unhealthy 8. I have a strong connection with my 2 point, probably influenced by a strict religious evangelical upbringing (dad was Calvinist preacher and we attended a rural Mennonite school). However, I am very much the kind of mother who does feel that allowing a child to roam the local neighborhood freely and occasionally hurt himself is good for developing a bit of a tougher skin - in other words, I am not overly protective of my son, because I see his becoming dependent on me as a weakness (which I think most 8's would agree that we see dependence as a weakness) and since it is my job to prepare my son for his own independent foray into the world, I would be doing him a disfavor by being too protective (this is not to say that my own Mama Bear doesn't come out sometimes, often more when his emotional vulnerability is at risk). I have enacted a counting routine when he cries and whines to get his way - for every number I count, he loses a day of screen time - in an effort to weed out that behavior as manipulation vs. true expression of feelings or needs that have gone unmet. It is very effective. Many of my siblings are, in my estimation, overprotective of my parents (all of us having in our own ways to grow up fast as children because our parents are emotionally immature) and we have many disagreements on how to care for them in their old age. That said, I think it would be a sociopathic 8 who would do as you suggest, and is probably not the norm for most 8s, even moderately unhealthy ones.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

@Artemistry
    you're also an NFP. NFPs regardless of E type are almost always gentle with children and take a live let live approach to life (not to say that I agree with the OP, but you're probably gonna be a softer person overall than, say an ESTP or ENTJ 8)
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ?

I can't speak for other types, but I can say that I strive to be gentle with children (although I have not always been so, even I have had points in time where I was stressed and punished my son with more than was necessary).

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

At the least, this thread should be title"Unhealthy Type 8's and conditioning tests/exercises" not "Type 8's and unhealthy conditioning tests/exercises".
    these are clearly behaviors of a psychologically ill person
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    At the least, this thread should be title"Unhealthy Type 8's and conditioning tests/exercises" not "Type 8's and unhealthy conditioning tests/exercises".
    these are clearly behaviors of a psychologically ill person
    I can't exactly go out and change the title now can I? Maybe one of the mods could change it for me?

figsfiggyfigs

Certainly not. I am fiercely protective of my family and friends and would not hurt them like that.

Ginkgo

A wild INFP E8 appears.