User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: INTJ 4s?

I score consistently as NT, and INTJ. I don't know what to tell you. It isn't what I would choose, necessarily. But it doesn't feel like putting on the wrong sized shoe. I also don't know if I feel the need to be a prototypical INTJ that conforms to whatever stereotypes there are floating around. Maybe I do for some of them, others not so much. I can absolutely speak to not being any kind of E or S. If I don't read INTJ to you, perhaps you might tell me what you do read?

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Roses View Post
    If I don't read INTJ to you, perhaps you might tell me what you do read?
    have you ever doorslammed someone?

*hides*

I haven't. Ever. Not even my psychotic and abusive mother. Though I do try to keep my contact to a minimum. So...the more I look at how not decisive I am being, the more I have to consider that intp is right. NT is always what I score, but I took some specific test from an intj thread and my sorry arse came out intp. Extroverted intuition...still intro feeling though, yes? I'm going to try and talk with someone who gets this stuff better than I on vent later so I don't drive myself insane.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I'd be very surprised if you were Ne.
    You've described this as a stressful time in your life, and that skews responses. I see the fact that you want closure on this as soon as possible as indicating J. I'd imagine a P would be happier to sit with it or live with Xs.

You think? Well, hades. I think I can safely bank on NT but ni ne ti te...This one is a dingbat. Friend of the family that helped rear me would swear I am NT as well but was too tired to dissect further.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Maybe you should ask @uumlau! He's an INTJ with great knowledge of cognitive functions.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

Tilty has now explained ne and ni to me in terms that makes it pretty clear that I work with ni. That narrows it right back down to the one I always end up back with. But I think talking to a knowledgable INTJ can't be a bad thing. Insight.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

You think? Well, hades. I think I can safely bank on NT but ni ne ti te...This one is a dingbat. Friend of the family that helped rear me would swear I am NT as well but was too tired to dissect further.
    Tilty has now explained ne and ni to me in terms that makes it pretty clear that I work with ni. That narrows it right back down to the one I always end up back with. But I think talking to a knowledgable INTJ can't be a bad thing. Insight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Maybe you should ask @uumlau! He's an INTJ with great knowledge of cognitive functions.
    INTJs and INFJs are pretty darn close, with INFJs being "nicer" if still very reserved. If you're sure you're working with Ni, it might help to read up on some Ni threads. There are one or two recent ones that are pretty good.

One problem for INxJs is that men will tend to type as INTJs, but when you look at their interaction style, they're trying to get group consensus, check on whether everyone is happy, etc. Similarly, the women will tend to type as INFJs, because they're in careers that can seem atypical of INTJs. I know one female INTJ that's a therapist for kids ... but there's a harsh bluntness there that is atypical of INFJs.

So, one indicator of being INTJ over INFJ for women is that extra harshness, or perhaps some "masculine" personality traits in terms of a sort of forcefulness of personality that is quite normal for an INTJ but not so normal for an INFJ.

Another indicator is thinking and talking in terms of things and facts, of accomplishing tasks, of logistics, of getting things done in an efficient and effective way. INFJs want to be similarly effective, but it's predominantly in terms of people and people-systems, not material or objective systems.

In terms of functions, one would try to look for Te/Fi vs Fe/Ti in the function order. This is one of those things that is fairly difficult to ascertain without a prolonged exposure to the concepts and seeing them play out in people. There are multiple Fe vs Fi threads on the forum that highlight these differences. The main difference is that the "i" functions are considered private and personal, and only indirectly and tentatively shared. The "e" functions are generally open and communicated with others. Thus Fe tends to communicate in terms of feeling and Te tends to communicate in terms of thinking. Fe tends to incur difficulty with Fi because it tries to communicate in terms of what Fi regards as private. Te tends to incur difficulty with Ti because it communicates in terms of what Ti regards as private.

Note that "Feeling" has nothing to do with "how emotional" you are. INTJs are very emotional, and very emotionally intense, but it's entirely under the hood. The death stare is that odd combination of being emotionally intense, but hiding it behind a cold, logical exterior. Women tend to soften these harder INTJ edges, whether due to socialization or biological considerations. So you need to look at the quality of the emotions and emotional expression, not the quantity.

A good litmus test is to just follow threads and arguments on typology forums, and whose arguments you tend to follow most easily. Both INTJ and INFJ statements will seem to be sensible, but one style will make a lot more sense than the other. Also check and see if xNTPs make more sense to you than INTJs: INFJs will be more receptive to the xNTP's Ti than INTJs.

I hope this helps.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

Thank you, sir. Forcefulness of personality...yeah, check on that. I have heard that one a time or twelve. I have a confirmed death stare. I didn't even know about the INTJ death stare connection until a few days ago when a friend told me about it, but I knew I had "a look". A family friend helped raise me told me the other day that I have had THAT look since I was a toddler. I have been long aware of its existence because I have good friends that will call me on my bull. Of course, in this instance, it has little and less to do with intention. Unless it IS intentional, but...different story, that. I am so very definitely not a Fe and most certainly a Ni. I have been doing a lot of reading. It's been extremely helpful. I have bounced around a bit over the past few days as I take in information. Sometimes I jump to conclusions and then I get a little bit more information...

Still, I have landed right back where I started. INTJ.

I agree with your statements about emotional intensity, and I can say this: I have a keen suspicion that my last boyfriend was an INTP and we could have some good talks, yet other times...total disconnect. At least a few times a week we would end up at a conversational standstill. The lover before that, who is still a dear friend, I suspect is an INTJ and we have none of those issues. We don't agree on everything, but we seem to be able to understand and appreciate each other's view. I find it funny, I always viewed his brand of death stare as intense and smouldering, in a way. That makes sense to me.

I needed clarification from folks that have the greater expertise with this stuff, and I am finding that in abundance. Thank you.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post

A good litmus test is to just follow threads and arguments on typology forums, and whose arguments you tend to follow most easily. Both INTJ and INFJ statements will seem to be sensible, but one style will make a lot more sense than the other. Also check and see if xNTPs make more sense to you than INTJs: INFJs will be more receptive to the xNTP's Ti than INTJs.
    They resonate, that's for sure. It must have something to do with the INFJ's Ti tertiary which the INTJ lacks. I think INTJ coldness of emotion comes from the Fi tertiary, but that's for another topic.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”