User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 17

  1. #1
    Senior Member Cloud of Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    573

    Default Type 3s and Vulnerability

    To any and all Threes here, how comfortable are you letting your guard with people? Do you tend to be selective with whom you choose to be vulnerable?

  2. #2
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,429

    Default

    I have a good friend who is a 3w2 sx/sp and ENFJ, and he is definitely selective in how vulnerable he comes across to people, and to which people. He's extremely quick to have intense one-on-one conversations with people (e.g. "What's your dream? What are your deepest and most important life goals?"), but he likes those conversations to be under his control. He wants to be able to choose how vulnerable he is with people, and he wants to be able to predict his conversation partner's reaction in advance, because he's very easily wounded.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Cloud of Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    573

    Default

    That describes me strongly. I like having deep, intimate conversations with a select few, but even with them, I'm slow to open up. I think a little mystery goes a long way with a person.

  4. #4
    The Black Knight Domino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni
    Posts
    11,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I have a good friend who is a 3w2 sx/sp and ENFJ, and he is definitely selective in how vulnerable he comes across to people, and to which people. He's extremely quick to have intense one-on-one conversations with people (e.g. "What's your dream? What are your deepest and most important life goals?"), but he likes those conversations to be under his control. He wants to be able to choose how vulnerable he is with people, and he wants to be able to predict his conversation partner's reaction in advance, because he's very easily wounded.
    Very well said.

    I know an E3 ENFJ myself and that's like him. I've dated many 3s as well, and am influenced by my 3 wing (4w3) to the point of being very self-protective. I don't deflect aimed mockery or judgment very well. It goes right into me.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

  5. #5
    Senior Member Santosha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni
    Posts
    1,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Very well said.

    I know an E3 ENFJ myself and that's like him. I've dated many 3s as well, and am influenced by my 3 wing (4w3) to the point of being very self-protective. I don't deflect aimed mockery or judgment very well. It goes right into me.
    Totally get this. I am either 3w4 or 4w3 (thinking 4w3 now based on recent observations of myself becoming highly emotional under stress instead of pushing it down) and I definately have issues with vulnerability. Enough that I was thinking about starting up a thread, but afraid to be so open about it!

    I wasn't sure if this sensitivity may have spawned from some rather traumatic childhood experiences though. My very unhealthy e6 mother often used any failing or struggle I had growing up as a means to draw attention to herself with all of our family and friends. There was rarely a time when I did something wrong or bad that did not get blown out of proportion and aired to anyone and everyone, causing immense feelings of shame and humiliation. If I had a budding 3 wing to begin with, these experiences drew that wing out full scale. I am actually interested if anyone else with a 3 wing or core had similar experiences in childhood?

    But onto the question, yes I struggle with it.. and then I struggle with my struggling with it! I have to activley work hard in understanding that not everyone has an agenda, that my weaknesses will not be exploited. I will add that these fears have helped me become very perceptive with people, most the time I do not miss a fucking beat in the slightest variation of behavior, eye contact, tone, authenticity, etc. This is a blessing and a curse in that I have been able to quickly weed out people that are like-minded and trustworthy, providing a very close-net of loyal friends. I am also extremely protective and loyal when others reveal things about themselves that they obviously struggle with. Perhaps I identify with the pain all to well, but I could never, ever use these things against them without seeing myself as an epic turd.

    Something about 2's for me.. really helps. I don't know if its a common 2 trait or just happens to be present in the 2's that I know, but all of my 2 friends are very emotionally open and vulnerable. And when I am around them I feel like a guard comes down, like I can reveal my gnarred up inner self and fear no rejection. Healthy e5's have helped too. I say healthy because when unhealthy I've noticed e5's subscribing to a bit of intellectual snobbery.. and that can put me on guard. But when healthy, e5's have helped me understand how my idea, opinion, performance and behavior can all be criticized or attacked, without it being a reflection of me as a person.. who i really am.

    Anyhow, I am interested in what other responces you might get. Would love to hear ways that others combat this.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

  6. #6
    Ruler of the Stars Asterion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,334

    Default

    Just guessing mostly but I think 3s hide under the mask a little. They work out what everyone wants them to be like, and they can seem like very open people, whereas they might not express what they truly feel, because it could bring them shame. I've been working with a great guy that's a 3, he's always into partying, always on the go, and seems to have a way with people. But I think you can tell when he's holding something back when he suddenly reenforces his image, trying to sell the idea that he is awesome.
    5 3 9

  7. #7
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    9,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloud of Thunder View Post
    I think a little mystery goes a long way with a person.
    Not when it's used as a manipulation tool. Especially when the questions being asked are of a deep or revealing nature. The - I expect you to open up to me (answer my questions) but you won't get the same in return and I will be offended if you have an issue with that - thing.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

  8. #8
    #KUWK Kierva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    2,494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I have a good friend who is a 3w2 sx/sp and ENFJ, and he is definitely selective in how vulnerable he comes across to people, and to which people. He's extremely quick to have intense one-on-one conversations with people (e.g. "What's your dream? What are your deepest and most important life goals?"), but he likes those conversations to be under his control. He wants to be able to choose how vulnerable he is with people, and he wants to be able to predict his conversation partner's reaction in advance, because he's very easily wounded.
    Exactly. Most people know some things about me -- just enough to be personable, but not personal. Only a select few know really deep stuff about me, and usually with those people I have the intense conversations that you were talking about.

    However, I'd rather be the one giving the answers than asking the questions because I am bad at directing or keeping the flow of conversations.
    C#2-C#5-F#5
    3 octaves, 2 notes and 1 semitone
    Supported range: F#2-F#4-C#5

  9. #9
    Chaser of Light Dr Mobius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sp/sx
    Posts
    815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloud of Thunder View Post
    To any and all Threes here, how comfortable are you letting your guard with people? Do you tend to be selective with whom you choose to be vulnerable?
    Honestly not very comfortable at all. Past experience has left me quite leery of exposing private thoughts, the risk verses the reward is slightly skewed for me unfortunately.

    Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    Totally get this. I am either 3w4 or 4w3 (thinking 4w3 now based on recent observations of myself becoming highly emotional under stress instead of pushing it down) and I definately have issues with vulnerability. Enough that I was thinking about starting up a thread, but afraid to be so open about it!

    I wasn't sure if this sensitivity may have spawned from some rather traumatic childhood experiences though. My very unhealthy e6 mother often used any failing or struggle I had growing up as a means to draw attention to herself with all of our family and friends. There was rarely a time when I did something wrong or bad that did not get blown out of proportion and aired to anyone and everyone, causing immense feelings of shame and humiliation. If I had a budding 3 wing to begin with, these experiences drew that wing out full scale. I am actually interested if anyone else with a 3 wing or core had similar experiences in childhood?
    Yes and no did I have a similar horrible experience with one of my parents? No my disproportional shame and humiliation phase started in high school, I was put in a classroom where I was the wrong, well everything. I ended up creating a wall, if there is nothing they can attack then you are safe from them. Did you do something similar?

    Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Not when it's used as a manipulation tool. Especially when the questions being asked are of a deep or revealing nature. The - I expect you to open up to me (answer my questions) but you won't get the same in return and I will be offended if you have an issue with that - thing.
    Makes perfect sense, probably why I have intellectual conversations of breadth and depth, but never try to have emotional ones. I don’t think I would be very comfortable with quid pro quo

  10. #10
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Ain't so bad (with caveats below), so long as I've established trust with the other person. I'm pretty keen on my own motivations, gut feelings, and emotions--and I'll flat-out tell those closest to me exactly what my motivations are. If they're unhealthy, then the very act of working toward verbalizing them keeps me 'in check.'

    I'll be the first to show my cards in order to establish trust when it's applicable--usually when I want to get to know someone or when it's going to help either or both of us. In overly task-oriented work settings, for example, it's just plain not applicable--one doesn't just burst out "Well, I have a long running history of bipolar disorder" during a work meeting, but it may very well be appropriate when one's got a coworker or employee who's going through some screwed up mental diagnoses themselves.

    I figure that 'stuff' has to be put out there so that it's not stigmatized, because we're better off for it. People go through some weird turmoil, and assume that nobody else has ever gone through such weird turmoil, and become distraught because they don't think that there's hope.

    I'm always more comfortable sharing one-on-one, unless I'm in a personal development or group therapy-esque session where it's clear that everyone has the whole 'break down the barriers' goal in mind. Moreover, there's sometimes a portion of myself that I hold back, though, either because I'm ashamed or because I haven't thought it through and don't want to present 'half-baked conclusions' about my own emotional state.

Similar Threads

  1. Type Ozzy and Sharon
    By alicia91 in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 11-04-2013, 07:52 PM
  2. MBTI Types: Drive and Orientation
    By MerkW in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-23-2008, 03:13 AM
  3. My type: Comments and inquiries welcome.
    By Athenian200 in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 01-16-2008, 01:28 PM
  4. type change and trauma
    By miss fortune in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-01-2007, 06:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO