User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Hawking hasn't actually provided nearly as much (solid ideas) to the world of science though. He's mostly popularized science - and is highly intelligent. Although, I agree his personal life is inspiring.

Oh, Einstein wasn't a bookworm. He formally failed at a lot of subjects. One of his teachers said he'd never amount to anything. And he dropped out once in his teens. Bookwormishness isn't what marked where his intelligence was per se. He was more of the contemplative, lost in "thought experiments" type. After school, he was turned down for every scientific and academic position he applied for (partly because he had cut so many classes that his professors badmouthed him everywhere), and his dad died thinking he was a failure. Einstein later achieved and altered everything we know about physics as a struggling assistant patent clerk, of all things. This guy started from that, to winning a Nobel prize, becoming an advisor to world leaders, and whose name - Einstein - has literally become synonymous with "genius". That's why he's badass.

MBTI
    IsFJ

I still can't quite grasp the distinction between "badass", "cool" and "awesome" in this context... I mean, last year we had all those "Most Awesome XXXXs" (one thread per type) threads, and several characters were featured that were very cool but might not be considered "badass" per se, I think. So, I think we're ealing with some vague nomenclature here, as Saturned hinted.

The term is even more confusing when we're talking about real people, since we often don't see their badassery (and since there are no monsters trying to kill them ).
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Owfin View Post
    Yeah, Einstein isn't badass. Stephen Hawking is badass because he met an obstacle in life and thoroughly conquered it.

In that case, I think my idea of a badass is somebody who thoroughly conquers life.
    '

I like that definition. You could argue that Einstein actually did conquer life though because he kind of beat the system.
    5 3 9

MBTI
    IxFP

Hannibal Lecter??? 5w4 Sx/So

And a real example would be Nietzche was quite a badass, i dont know much about his life, but i see toughness in him.

Patti Smith i wouldn't say that she is a badass but she is a tough... very tough woman 5w4 Sx/So

William Burroughs was quite a motherfucker too... but more reclusive

And John Lennon, despite of all his "imagine" "all you need is love" he was the badass of The Beatles

6w5(sw5w4) Sx/Sp
    INTP

"Some people never go crazy... What truly horrible lives they must lead"- Charles Bukowski

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    If you say the word "badass" enough, it begins to lose meaning. After reading this thread my mind has changed it to "bad ass" and now I have visions of wallmart asses dancing in my head.

As to the OP... No... Unless the 5 is an ISTP or something. He or she needs a cigarette hanging from their mouth, and a slow walk away from a giant explosion happening behind them.
    Oh cool. Apart from the Istp part, I'm a little bit badass. Does starting a bonfire count?
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Richardsen View Post
    Hannibal Lecter??? 5w4 Sx/So
    And a real example would be Nietzche was quite a badass, i dont know much about his life, but i see toughness in him.

Patti Smith i wouldn't say that she is a badass but she is a tough... very tough woman 5w4 Sx/So

William Burroughs was quite a motherfucker too... but more reclusive

And John Lennon, despite of all his "imagine" "all you need is love" he was the badass of The Beatles
    no philosopher is a bad ass.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

OMG, wouldn't that make an awesome character in a book though!
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    no philosopher is a bad ass.

Badass philosopher.

Quote Originally Posted by Richardsen View Post
    The philosopher was a badass, the person was clearly not.