• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 5] Are type 5's hypochondriacs?

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Hypochondriac: A person who has hypochondriasis, a disorder characterized by a preoccupation with body functions and the interpretation of normal body sensations (such as sweating) or minor abnormalities (such as minor aches and pains) as portending problems of major medical moment. Reassurance by physicians and others only serves to increase the hypochondriac's persistent anxiety about their health.

The hypochondrium is the anatomic area of the upper abdomen just below (Greek "hypo" meaning "below") the cartilage (Greek "chondros" meaning "cartilage") of the ribs. Hypochondriasis was thought by the ancients to be due to disturbed function of the spleen and other organs in the upper abdomen.

Thoughts?

VagrantFarce

I don't think so. If I were to guess a correlation to anything enneagram-ish, it would be to an inflated self-preservation instinct.

The five fixation is a kind of mental intensity that overrides instinct and emotional involvement, leading to a fearful feeling of scarcity - everything needs to be thought over before any action can be taken, emotional involvement is minimised and eventually avoided, etc. I don't think hypochondria relates to this more than any of the other fixations.

Vizzy

Enneagram
5w4
Not me. In fact, I seem to think I'm so young, naturally healthy and tough that my body's invincible. :laugh:
If I get ill, I think, "Wow, I'm actually sick." and wait til it gets better.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I don't think so. If I were to guess a correlation to anything enneagram-ish, it would be to an inflated self-preservation instinct.

The five fixation is a kind of mental intensity that overrides instinct and emotional involvement, leading to a fearful feeling of scarcity - everything needs to be thought over before any action can be taken, emotional involvement is minimised and eventually avoided, etc. I don't think hypochondria relates to this more than any of the other fixations.

I am somwhat a hypocondriac although not an extreme one I have my moments I am also an SP SX 5w6. I would think because type 5 are out of touch with emotions they might have this problem as well.

Vizzy

Enneagram
5w4
I'm not out of touch with my emotions. Out of touch with my body, more like.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm no hypochondriac. When I feel pains or sickness, I take harden the f**k up or take medicine. The only time I worry about my health in that way is when people talk about operations and I start imagining having my body run on someone else's liver, basically cut and pasted into me. Any surgery scares me though, as it probably does others.

Vizzy

Enneagram
5w4
I'm no hypochondriac. When I feel pains or sickness, I take harden the f**k up or take medicine. The only time I worry about my health in that way is when people talk about operations and I start imagining having my body run on someone else's liver, basically cut and pasted into me. Any surgery scares me though, as it probably does others.
I relate to this.
I do love watching surgeries on TV, though. The bloodier, the better.

VagrantFarce

I am somwhat a hypocondriac although not an extreme one I have my moments I am also an SP SX 5w6. I would think because type 5 are out of touch with emotions they might have this problem as well.

I don't think it's hard to imagine an overly-emotional 2 or 4 suffering from hypochondria - they arrive at the same state, but in a different way.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've felt like a hypochondriac only in that my intuition and thinking work together to evaluate anything I feel in my body and dump out a list in my head of "what it could be." However, since I have little experience with many of those things, sometimes something can feel bad enough or seem bad enough that I think worse of it than it was. A sharp ache beyond what I would imagine is "normal" can be read as something very very serious, but then the doctor will bring the news that it was far less severe than I had thought. A lump somewhere where it shouldn't be, I'll immediately think worst-case scenario, but it will end up being something far less. A headache that I'll wonder to be meningitis ends up just being a headache.

(I never say much of this out loud, but my mind goes immediately to all these ranges of scenarios, and then I feel compelled to explore each of them. There does seem to be a big difference between book and experiential knowledge here; once I experience something and label properly, then I'm positioned to recognize it next time.)

Richardsen

MBTI Type
IxFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hypochondriac: A person who has hypochondriasis, a disorder characterized by a preoccupation with body functions and the interpretation of normal body sensations (such as sweating) or minor abnormalities (such as minor aches and pains) as portending problems of major medical moment. Reassurance by physicians and others only serves to increase the hypochondriac's persistent anxiety about their health.

The hypochondrium is the anatomic area of the upper abdomen just below (Greek "hypo" meaning "below") the cartilage (Greek "chondros" meaning "cartilage") of the ribs. Hypochondriasis was thought by the ancients to be due to disturbed function of the spleen and other organs in the upper abdomen.

Thoughts?

After readng this i'll still ask you WHY
5s are known to be the most disconected with their body.

Starry

I believe hypocondria is not uncommon in phobic 6s. Sorta fear mixed with anxiety and being hyper-sensitive as to what could 'go wrong'.

I wouldn't consider my 5w6 father to be a hypocondriac...but I do know he is fearful of germs...and has some OCD tendencies.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I believe hypocondria is not uncommon in phobic 6s. Sorta fear mixed with anxiety and being hyper-sensitive as to what could 'go wrong'.

I wouldn't consider my 5w6 father to be a hypocondriac...but I do know he is fearful of germs...and has some OCD tendencies.

Yeah, I would think 6 would correlate the most. Skeptical of authority, ie. doctors. Strongly anxiety driven.