User Tag List

12 Last

Permabanned

Default Are type 5's hypochondriacs?

Hypochondriac: A person who has hypochondriasis, a disorder characterized by a preoccupation with body functions and the interpretation of normal body sensations (such as sweating) or minor abnormalities (such as minor aches and pains) as portending problems of major medical moment. Reassurance by physicians and others only serves to increase the hypochondriac's persistent anxiety about their health.

The hypochondrium is the anatomic area of the upper abdomen just below (Greek "hypo" meaning "below") the cartilage (Greek "chondros" meaning "cartilage") of the ribs. Hypochondriasis was thought by the ancients to be due to disturbed function of the spleen and other organs in the upper abdomen.

Thoughts?

I don't think so. If I were to guess a correlation to anything enneagram-ish, it would be to an inflated self-preservation instinct.

The five fixation is a kind of mental intensity that overrides instinct and emotional involvement, leading to a fearful feeling of scarcity - everything needs to be thought over before any action can be taken, emotional involvement is minimised and eventually avoided, etc. I don't think hypochondria relates to this more than any of the other fixations.
    Hello

Enneagram
    5w4

Not me. In fact, I seem to think I'm so young, naturally healthy and tough that my body's invincible.
    If I get ill, I think, "Wow, I'm actually sick." and wait til it gets better.
    5w4
    Reserved RCUEI

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    I don't think so. If I were to guess a correlation to anything enneagram-ish, it would be to an inflated self-preservation instinct.

The five fixation is a kind of mental intensity that overrides instinct and emotional involvement, leading to a fearful feeling of scarcity - everything needs to be thought over before any action can be taken, emotional involvement is minimised and eventually avoided, etc. I don't think hypochondria relates to this more than any of the other fixations.
    I am somwhat a hypocondriac although not an extreme one I have my moments I am also an SP SX 5w6. I would think because type 5 are out of touch with emotions they might have this problem as well.

Enneagram
    5w4

I'm not out of touch with my emotions. Out of touch with my body, more like.
    5w4
    Reserved RCUEI

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

I'm no hypochondriac. When I feel pains or sickness, I take harden the f**k up or take medicine. The only time I worry about my health in that way is when people talk about operations and I start imagining having my body run on someone else's liver, basically cut and pasted into me. Any surgery scares me though, as it probably does others.
    5 3 9

Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Asterion View Post
    I'm no hypochondriac. When I feel pains or sickness, I take harden the f**k up or take medicine. The only time I worry about my health in that way is when people talk about operations and I start imagining having my body run on someone else's liver, basically cut and pasted into me. Any surgery scares me though, as it probably does others.
    I relate to this.
    I do love watching surgeries on TV, though. The bloodier, the better.
    5w4
    Reserved RCUEI

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    I am somwhat a hypocondriac although not an extreme one I have my moments I am also an SP SX 5w6. I would think because type 5 are out of touch with emotions they might have this problem as well.
    I don't think it's hard to imagine an overly-emotional 2 or 4 suffering from hypochondria - they arrive at the same state, but in a different way.
    Hello

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I've felt like a hypochondriac only in that my intuition and thinking work together to evaluate anything I feel in my body and dump out a list in my head of "what it could be." However, since I have little experience with many of those things, sometimes something can feel bad enough or seem bad enough that I think worse of it than it was. A sharp ache beyond what I would imagine is "normal" can be read as something very very serious, but then the doctor will bring the news that it was far less severe than I had thought. A lump somewhere where it shouldn't be, I'll immediately think worst-case scenario, but it will end up being something far less. A headache that I'll wonder to be meningitis ends up just being a headache.

(I never say much of this out loud, but my mind goes immediately to all these ranges of scenarios, and then I feel compelled to explore each of them. There does seem to be a big difference between book and experiential knowledge here; once I experience something and label properly, then I'm positioned to recognize it next time.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    IxFP

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Hypochondriac: A person who has hypochondriasis, a disorder characterized by a preoccupation with body functions and the interpretation of normal body sensations (such as sweating) or minor abnormalities (such as minor aches and pains) as portending problems of major medical moment. Reassurance by physicians and others only serves to increase the hypochondriac's persistent anxiety about their health.

The hypochondrium is the anatomic area of the upper abdomen just below (Greek "hypo" meaning "below") the cartilage (Greek "chondros" meaning "cartilage") of the ribs. Hypochondriasis was thought by the ancients to be due to disturbed function of the spleen and other organs in the upper abdomen.

Thoughts?
    After readng this i'll still ask you WHY
    5s are known to be the most disconected with their body.

6w5(sw5w4) Sx/Sp
    INTP

"Some people never go crazy... What truly horrible lives they must lead"- Charles Bukowski