User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Default Coping with 9 indifference

As is known, the vice/addiction of the 9 is indifference. Right now it is preventing me from enjoying life. I can't enjoy all of life and be satisfied, life's too short for that. It's as if in order to get some real fun out of life, some decisions have to be made....

Anyway, aside from the above paragraph, how do you 9s deal with your indifferent tendecies?
    Last edited by Patches; 07-06-2012 at 06:41 AM.
    Thinkist: not optimist nor pessimist. I am primarily competent in the enneagram.
    SX 9w1, SP 5w6, SP 3w4 | Split with the first two
    Ti-Se-Si-Ni-Te-Fi-Ne-Fe. I'm always questioning this, particularly the Si.
    Big 5/Global5/SLOAN: RCUEX

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    xNFP

My brother's a 9 ISTP also, and video games always seem to cheer him up. Also, he says he isn't creative but he's always building all these complicated levels on Little Big Planet. But he always seems happiest whenever he's pestering my dad or I. He'll be extremely quiet while at his desk (where he's always found when not at school, using the bathroom or sometimes sleeping) and then he'll jump up and sprint over to my dad and start punching his stomach. He'll do similar things to me such as not letting me get off the couch. He has a sick kind of humor.

I'm also a 9 and I found myself in that same problem a few years ago. The way I got out of it was by finding a new group of friends that actually genuinely cared about me. The second thing that helped was brainstorming creative projects. I wrote a screenplay of a movie I'll never film. However, just playing it over and over in my head is satisfying enough. Hopefully I'll get around to animating it (the easy way out since it'd be impossible to fund the sets).

But I think the real issue you have from what you stated is that you don't feel like anything you do matters, which would be because you lack a mission in life.

The only way out of this indifference typically is to find out what makes you feel fulfilled and then aim for it.

For me I discovered through a book called "The Path" that my mission in life is to release, enlighten and mature creativity and knowledge in others. So, that's what I'm aiming to do. Now I'm in college for film so that I can create films that will hopefully inspire others.
    eNFP 9w8 sx/sp

~Don't ignore the truth, it will set you free.

~10% of life is what happens to you, 90% of life is how you deal with it.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ilovereeses View Post
    The only way out of this indifference typically is to find out what makes you feel fulfilled and then aim for it.
    I may even be stuck at that very junction of decision. It's extra-hard as a SX 9.
    Thinkist: not optimist nor pessimist. I am primarily competent in the enneagram.

The only thing to deal with that problem would be to research as much as possible.

Though that might be an odd position to take as a 9 who is indifferent, especially if the above sounds like self-induced pressure/homework. The problem is most of the descriptions of 9 sound like they don't really identify with anything in particular, so it's much harder to find that certain thing in life that is a great motivator.

There's lots of information out there though. Even looking to your past can be helpful.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

I could do that, but it's not enough!

I recently realized something: beyond the indifference and nonassertiveness, those very two things have caused me to feel somewhat inferior in comparison to everyone else. It's been that way all my life so far. Even posting here I feel like an inferior for some reason, and it's incredibly frustrating and agonizing!!! Maybe I haven't entirely lost my zest for life, but it may feel that way because I've been pushed, pulled, and persuaded in so many different directions I'm not sure where to go! I'm not sure who/what to trust/believe. It also feels that every time I do try to become assertive and make a decision, it fails (maybe that's just a mere Type 9 thing).

...and now that I look at what I've just written, I wonder if this is could be a mere Type 9 stress reaction.

@Thinkist

Write a journal. When something happens (whether good or bad,) write about it. Maybe, you can even bring a small journal if something amuses you or frustrate you (I won't tell you to do so because even I don't.) You'll probably find something deep after you go back to reading your journal in a month or so. The trouble with 9's is that indifference can sometimes be a sign of not trying to be assertive or not willing to risk a "good" relation or flat out avoiding something. When you start writing in a journal about anything and everything without worry about pushing other peoples' buttons or risk hurting them, you begin to start noticing patterns in thoughts where you've pushed deep down as indifference. If you write everything and anything in that journal, you have no choice but to confront yourself that you refuse to see.

As a 9, 9's have learned to silence the self in order to notice others first. For a 9, there is a lost sense of "self" and to find that "self" you have to look into yourself no matter how bad or good looking into yourself sounds. That means, yes, take notice in what makes you angry (though you refuse to say or notice that you are angry,) take notice at what makes you happy, take notice at what makes you sad, etc. You can even take notice of some dreams you think are important (you might think some of them are trying to tell you something.) Just take notice of the nuances.

You can think of the 9's preference as, "See no evil, Hear no Evil, Speak no evil."

This page might help a bit in what I am talking about:
    http://ocean-moonshine.net/e14285736...ule=pagemaster

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

One more piece of insight: my Type 9 indifference is a bit unique since it has strong hints of Type 5 Nihilism. Sometimes I might hold the philosophy that "life's too easy, so why bother with it?" A philosophy that clearly isn't true, but sure can appear that way...

MBTI
    STP

Its not to hard when I am by my self. I just pick something...one of the choices...and live with it. With someone else it can cause issues as I really dont care...I can do the same thing, but they will have to live with it as well. Once I get to know someone I simply make there options as precedence as I am extremely indifferent to most things.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp

@Thinkist
    I am also an ISTP type 9 sx/sp.
    Now i don't know a massive amount about this enneagram stuff. And I know i am indifferent to most things. But basically I am content. And optimistic. Maybe you are judging yourself on others expectations. If you just be yourself and enjoy the being. Just enjoy existing and do stuff you want to do. Maybe it helps to hang out with someone you like who does stuff you enjoy... because they will help you get off your ass and do it.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'm a type 9w8 who has been working on myself extensively for years... And what I can say has made me feel the most alive is find people who liven up life for you. In any way really. A lot of the time doing things for myself is just apart of what I do and doesn't change much, but other people that I know care about me really make my life.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)