User Tag List

First 123 Last

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud of Thunder View Post
    Can anyone think of any intellectuals or thinkers who could be considered 4w3? I think there's an unfortunate stereotype that 4w3s are drama queens/airheads and that 4w5s are the genuine thinkers (emphasis on genuine).
    My guess is probably "feeler" type intellectuals like Ghandi who are much more involved in ethics and morals as their modes of reasoning.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I think that fours come in many many different flavors. The idea is to assert yourself as a unique and creative individual in the world, how that manifests is going to be up to a lot of broad interpretation, (and thank you for the thread idea.)
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    No, enneagram does not influence the capacity for intellect.. just like mbti type doesn't directly affect IQ.

Genius and idiocy will be found in each of them (yes, even 5's) and I suppose that real intellect (imho) is a byproduct of understaing the different perspectives and the capacity of creation in each.
    Hear, hear. I think 9w8s also get the short end of the stick in that area, even more so than 9w1s... I now remember this description:

9w8s can be very intelligent (I have a 9w8 friend with a 170 IQ) but usually we'd say they're the least 'cerebral' of all of the E-types. Both types of 9 have strong idealistic notions, but 9w8s are generally simpler and more practical people, where 9w1s can get powerfully "switched on" by purely abstract ideas.
    It has a caveat and everything, but it kind of irks me, considering how "cerebral" is sometimes considered synonymous with "smart"...

/rant over
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    Intellectual, meaning highly developed intellect...
    and intellect, meaning

-the power of knowing as distinguished from the power to feel and to will

-the capacity for rational or intelligent thought especially when highly developed
    and intelligence, which includes
    -the abilities for abstract thought
    -understanding
    -communication
    -reasoning
    -learning
    -planning
    -problem solving.

I would say that both 3w4 and 4w3 engulfs many of these charactoristics, along with all of the other enneagram types.

No, enneagram does not influence the capacity for intellect.. just like mbti type doesn't directly affect IQ.

Genius and idiocy will be found in each of them (yes, even 5's) and I suppose that real intellect (imho) is a byproduct of understaing the different perspectives and the capacity of creation in each.

I interpreted the OP's use of "intellectual" to mean something more along the lines of interests and tastes:

- a person who places a high value on or pursues things of interest to the intellect or the more complex forms and fields of knowledge, as aesthetic or philosophical matters, especially on an abstract and general level.
    - a person who enjoys mental activity and has highly developed tastes in art, literature, etc

I thought it was a given that any type could be intelligent. The kind of interests one chooses to develop may be related to type though, as motivations would certainly influence those to a degree.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTp

Gustav Mahler is a 4w3. If you know anything about the man, he's very intellectual. Incidentally, so is Leonard Bernstein. They're both well-read and philosophical.
    "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFp None

As a 4w3 who knows other 4w3s: We tend to be intellectual, but as we crave social acceptance we try to dumb ourselves down to make ourselves more widely accepted.
    Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness." ― Kurt Vonnegut

ENFP. 7w6 – 4w3 – 1w9 sx/so. Aries. Dilettante. Overly anxious optimist.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Or maybe that's just me being a 4 and having a sightly elitist attitude :P.

Honestly though, I'm almost finished my masters, I'm getting published by Cambridge, I think I qualify as an intellectual. The thing about the enneagram is that it tells you even less about one's skill level. I mean in MBTI there are at least types that are known for being logical, in the enneagram, you have the 5 I guess which is an academic type, but that's about it.
    Chimera of Filth

A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I don't understand this word "intellectual" anyway.. It seems like anyone with at least 3/4's of their facilities could learn this skill. Learning for the sake of learning is great, but learning for the sake of being intellectual? Do people actually enjoy this? It seems like there could be much better uses of your time. Finding out things that cause you excitement, wonder, inspiration, enlightenment, etc. Increasing the vocabulary to get your message across articulately and with impact (or whatever you want to achieve with your words)- all these things are wonderful. Though, just "intellectual." Just because. I find this to be a learned skill that could be an indicator of someone with higher intelligence in the classic sense, but at the same time, it seems like people with a lot of intelligence have a lot more to offer the world and even just for themselves. Just seems like a narrowing view of otherwise depthy and amazing people.

It actually sounds kind of like a 3 thing- image and popularity and such. If you are a three in some circles I imagine it would be very handy to carry that "intellectual" badge.

Intellectual should be like a side effect of all kinds of other things and not an end in itself.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I think that it could become apart of the 4's identity in being different to be intellectual if they were in the right environment; but I don't think that it would be stereotypical. Their lives wouldn't really be lead by logic like a lot of typical intellectuals. It would be of a different motivation from a 5 who is your typical intellectual... (going from @OrangeAppled's definition which is basically what I'm approaching this as) I think that an intellectual 4w3 would gain knowledge and have refined taste to feel different and perhaps to make other people desire them due to their seemingly mysterious nature and see them as a "worthy" person (w3).

I think that any type could become an intellectual in one way or another.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Just to bump this thread, I think Tori Amos is a 4w3 and she seems very well-read. Weird, though...