First 3456 Last

Thread: 4s & gender

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I'm told I have a great deal of "male" energy while being feminine. As a teenager, I thought it was because I was maybe bi-sexual, but as I got older, I realized that it's just a heady dose of blunt force.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    I'm told I have a great deal of "male" energy while being feminine. As a teenager, I thought it was because I was maybe bi-sexual, but as I got older, I realized that it's just a heady dose of blunt force.
    It's funny you mention this. I've heard many female 4s complain about feeling masculine. From what I've seen, it seems that they do exude some sort of "masculine energy," (a bit intimidating). The male 4s on the other hand, often lament on how feminine they feel (I know I feel this way).

From observing some videos of the types, the E4 guys do seem kind of girly and the E4 girls seem kind of manly (overall).

Edit: Okay maybe not overall, but enough for some sort of a pattern to emerge. Loose observation btw.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sx/sp

i know a lot of 4s, and i dont really steriotype 4s in general to a specific gender. I think society in general though is more accepting of female 4s, male 4s are made out to be whiny douches a lot of times.
    Enneagram: Type 5, Dual Wing, SX/SP Instinct, Tritype 5-3w2-9w8
    MBTI: INTP

Like a Baws

Introverted (I) 57.14% Extroverted (E) 42.86%
    Intuitive (N) 63.16% Sensing (S) 36.84%
    Thinking (T) 70.37% Feeling (F) 29.63%
    Perceiving (P) 56.61% Judging (J) 43.39%

In orbit
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    Well, I am unique... but everyone is, to a degree.. so I'm not that different from anybody else. That's not what I'm talking about though. I mean, the things I really care about are the things women usually care about-- romance, beauty, "true love", community... but I also care about the masculine stuff-- politics, philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche, being able to play the guitar...it just seems less important.
    I care about both sets too. Society's just silly in attributing reproductive organs to interests.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    I felt boyish and enjoyed "boy" activities (or things associated traditionally with boys), like anything that meant getting dirty, while liking "girly" things, like clothes and glitter and make-up.
    This is exactly like I was. They called me "Her royal highness, princess mudpie" ...I'm still like this actually.

Quote Originally Posted by zelo1954 View Post
    Well I have to tell you I have been categorized as an "honorary woman" by a certain person at work. I probably would have regarded this more positively had it happened 1:1, but it happened with practically everyone in on it. I suppose I should be thankful they were all women.
    The guys call me Sir. Apparently I'm not a girl but a drag queen. I'm just me though. Guys I've dated think I'm super feminine... I'm not picky. Ill take both.

My guess is that one of the reasons why a lot of the female 4's [specifically 4w3's] report as feeling masculine while male 4's [specifically 4w3's] reporting in as feeling feminine could very well be related to their overall feelings of longing for that something that makes them feel special.

Even if not, then at least that's my personal motivation for it. I've always felt like I'm gender neutral as opposed to more masculine or feminine. Maybe another reason why my SO and I get along so well as she's a pansexual She gets to be in love with someone who's in touch with both his feminine and masculine sides :P

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    My guess is that one of the reasons why a lot of the female 4's [specifically 4w3's] report as feeling masculine while male 4's [specifically 4w3's] reporting in as feeling feminine could very well be related to their overall feelings of longing for that something that makes them feel special.
    I like that. I've measured myself as a male 4w5 and MB INtP. "Longing for something that makes them feel special" sounds a bit of a girly thing but it really is not. I do have a strong side which is usually categorised as feminine but I am most definitely a man. I have values and, particularly, interests which are usually categorised as masculine and many possible interests usually categorised as feminine leave me stone cold. My feminine side is purely within and a lot of it is to do with emotions. I think it means that, whilst usually a Ti, I have a strongly developed Fi also.
    Cognitive functions:
    Fi (95%); Ti (90%); Ne (75%); Fe (60%); Ni (50%); Si (50%); Te (15%); Se (5%)

"INFP values but INTP skills" describes me best of all

Quote Originally Posted by zelo1954 View Post
    I like that. I've measured myself as a male 4w5 and MB INtP. "Longing for something that makes them feel special" sounds a bit of a girly thing but it really is not. I do have a strong side which is usually categorised as feminine but I am most definitely a man. I have values and, particularly, interests which are usually categorised as masculine and many possible interests usually categorised as feminine leave me stone cold. My feminine side is purely within and a lot of it is to do with emotions. I think it means that, whilst usually a Ti, I have a strongly developed Fi also.
    I would highly recommend that you read Jung's work on Anima and Animus [if you already haven't].

What you're describing isn't Fi, but a male INTP who's gotten in touch with his Fe [or anima in your case] which has always been considered primarily a feminine function.

I'm taking a bold step in saying this, but I think that us Type 4 T males may be at an advantage when it comes to individuation in Jungian terms.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    I would highly recommend that you read Jung's work on Anima and Animus [if you already haven't].

What you're describing isn't Fi, but a male INTP who's gotten in touch with his Fe [or anima in your case] which has always been considered primarily a feminine function.
    OMG. Thank you so much for this. I've always wanted to understand something about 'shadow' and the inferior function. This could be a good thing to read. I guess I'll need to interloan it but sounds well worth it. BTW I have posted a couple of videos in the lounge "Video Challenge". They are somewhat lengthy - about 25 minutes for the pair. If (and ONLY if) you are interested feel free to have a look.
    Cognitive functions:

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

I think the whole masculine/feminine thing is a waste of time. I'm a five female and I do fit the standard idea of the genderless five. One ex-boyfriend described me as lacking the "bubbly warmrth" a woman should have. However I've never felt as if I wasn't a woman but I have felt that I wasn't feminine. Feminine being shorthand for either a series of shallow qualities (hair makeup nails etc.) or a series of useless qualities (compliance, obsession with truelove and the ever vague and frustrating term of "softness"). I've never felt like I am a man trapped in a woman's body. What I feel is the resistance to the idea that to be a woman I have to be this sort of silly, inane, little creature. It seems just as ridiculous from the male point of view as masculinity seems to be mostly concerned with dominance and aggression. Though they get all the skills too. I mean honestly besides being inaccurate in my opinion, your list of feminine and masculine traits is the kind of thing that makes me want to stab myself in the eyes. It basically makes it seem unfeminine to think and unmasculine to feel. And what about playing guitar is inherently masculine?

Hopefully this doesn't sound like I'm trying to attack you. It was written in the most dispassionate of INTP tones I sure you

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    Hopefully this doesn't sound like I'm trying to attack you. It was written in the most dispassionate of INTP tones I sure you
    Of course not - and I actually agree with what you've said. However I need to get my points across and therefore require the use of unambiguous terminology. The best unambiguous terminolgy I know of which everyone understands, even though they may not agree with it, is what I used. If you understood my points - job done.
    Cognitive functions: