Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Default Are 8 and Fi similar?

when you look at them a little deeper, that have a lot in common with each other

8s and FPs both
    - a strong, visceral response to injustice
    - insist on being independent
    - become extremely pissed if you try to control them
    - are wild and free spirited and disdain rules and being expected to be "appropriate"
    - strong disliking for social expectation
    - solid and resilient (FPs to social conditioning and moral adversity; 8s to everything)
    - both tend to have protective personalities (though the 8 is likely to be a little more so right off the bat while most FPs tend to wait a little longer to step in)
    - value truth over tact (FPs often value tact and saying things in a nice way when possible, but not at the expense of truth)
    - both have beliefs and/or preferences that they will not compromise on under any circumstances
    - both insist on doing things "their way"

I don't see how being an FP 8 seems to contradictory to some people. their motivations are extremely similar
    Last edited by Patches; 07-06-2012 at 06:43 AM.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Depends on how assertive the individual is.
    C#2-C#5-F#5
    3 octaves, 2 notes and 1 semitone
    Supported range: F#2-F#4-C#5

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Uwace View Post
    Depends on how assertive the individual is.
    true. lots of FPs kind of implode when angry more like a 9. FPs that are assertive seem a lot like 8s though
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    true. lots of FPs kind of implode when angry more like a 9. FPs that are assertive seem a lot like 8s though
    lol look at my siggy???
    C#2-C#5-F#5
    3 octaves, 2 notes and 1 semitone
    Supported range: F#2-F#4-C#5

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I would not compare Fi and 8's except in the area of gut instinct, I suppose...

But 8 is typically describing external behavior rather than internal processing (aka Ji) -- it is predominately a "moving against" enneagram type and is recognized/thought of in those terms, a type where growth involves learning restraint. When you say Fi AKA Fi doms, that would be the ISFP and the INFP, and neither is typically type 8 because their external working style is SO different than type 8 aggression/assertion. You're more likely to see that behavior from Extroverted mbti types.

The type with the most intersection between Fi and 8 would probably be the ENFP, which is Fi-secondary but shows a lot of "moving against" external behavior. Other likely 8's probably Te primaries and the ESTP.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

You're glamourising a bunch of negative gut instincts and defences (which is basically what enneagram is) and applying them to a cognitive function. That's not how it works.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I would not compare Fi and 8's except in the area of gut instinct, I suppose...

But 8 is typically describing external behavior rather than internal processing (aka Ji) -- it is predominately a "moving against" enneagram type and is recognized/thought of in those terms, a type where growth involves learning restraint.
    I would disagree. the Enneagram is a very internal classification system and the core desire of an 8 is control and autonomy, the latter being something an FP would most likely relate to strongly on a deep seated, gut level like an 8 (other types, INTPs for example, are averse to external control as well, but this aversion for FPs and 8s is much deeper down, it's kind hard to explain. ). desire for autonomy is much more intrinsically motivated that extrinsically

When you say Fi AKA Fi doms, that would be the ISFP and the INFP, and neither is typically type 8 because their external working style is SO different than type 8 aggression/assertion. You're more likely to see that behavior from Extroverted mbti types.
    I was talking about IFPs and EFPs
    I stress again that Enneagram is not a behavior model as much as a world view/irrational motivation/blind spots model.

The type with the most intersection between Fi and 8 would probably be the ENFP, which is Fi-secondary but shows a lot of "moving against" external behavior. Other likely 8's probably Te primaries and the ESTP.
    now that I can vouch for
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    But 8 is typically describing external behavior rather than internal processing.
    I thought enneagram was all about motivations... and 8, the need to be strong. While I don't agree completely with the OP, it seems a little self congratulatory ... I don't see how they conflict.

MBTI
    yupp

In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by senza_tema View Post
    You're glamourising a bunch of negative gut instincts and defences (which is basically what enneagram is) and applying them to a cognitive function. That's not how it works.
    no I'm not. gut instincts have a positive side to them too. 2s want to love and be loved by people, loving and being loved by people is a good thing. 3s want to be successful, being successful is a good thing. 5s seek wisdom, wisdom is a good thing. it's only when gut instincts and desires become obsessive and not focused in the right direction that they become bad.
    the purpose of the Enneagram is not to learn your type so you can control/suppress it; it's to embrace your type and focus your desires in ways that will help you grow and go good in the world as opposed to being self destructive.
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!