User Tag List

First 2101112

MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

This thread, though long dead, is something that interests me. I think it's a fine testament to the misconceptions we have about Fi as a function--I initially came to this message board typed as Fi because I heard it makes you "individualistic, independent, strong sense of truth, with convictions".

Sorry, but that's not how it works. Type 8 (or any type) is motivational while Fi is actually a cognitive process geared toward interpersonal calculations and developing principles around what you, the individual, value. Most of what's commonly said of Fi-doms actually puts me in mind 9s--for instance, seeing the value in all living things--possibly because a significant proportion of Fi-doms are 9s. It would therefore be far easier for me to argue that Fi-dom is actually more similar to type 9.

As a side note, Fe-users can value justice and truth, they can have unyielding principles, and dislike social expectation. Everything on the list below, actually. Again, it's an interpersonal calculation, not a motivation.

- a strong, visceral response to injustice--If we're going by enneagram, 1s and 6s also do this. Fe users can respond to injustice too.

- insist on being independent--conceivably, 1s, 4s, 5s, 6s, and 7s could do this as well regardless of MBTI.

- become extremely pissed if you try to control them--getting pissed off by control is both a head-center and gut-center issue.

- are wild and free spirited and disdain rules and being expected to be "appropriate"--I'd think this describes a 7 more than either type 8 or Fi.

- strong disliking for social expectation--I'd assign this to 5s first and foremost.

- solid and resilient (FPs to social conditioning and moral adversity; 8s to everything)--Oh those poor lil Fe-users that can't think for themselves or bounce back from anything. Oh those poor brainwashed Fe masses.

- both tend to have protective personalities--Where does it say this about Fi??

- value truth over tact (FPs often value tact and saying things in a nice way when possible, but not at the expense of truth)--I see this as a 5-8 issue (5s have the same problem), and I know some Fi-doms who prefer to keep their heads buried even at the expense of truth.

- both have beliefs and/or preferences that they will not compromise on under any circumstances--So do Fe-dom 1s.

- both insist on doing things "their way"--4s and 7s also feel the need to do things their way. Not 8 related.

I realize this is an old post and you've probably changed your views since then, but given that common depictions of "Fi" once created a mistype, I felt the need to write that.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

The fuel of all evil is always what one craves the most.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

+1 to @Sanjuro's post.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

8 has more in common with sensing.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    The fuel of all evil is always what one craves the most.
    I would say the fuel of all evil is fear. But I think I get where you're coming from.

These are the dominant MBTI functions and Enneagram Type correlations:

E1 = Extroverted Thinking
    E2 = Extroverted Feeling
    E3 = No direct correlation but I personally know an Estp 3w2
    E4 = Introverted Intuition
    E5 = Introverted Thinking
    E6 = Introverted Feeling
    E7 = Extroverted Sensing
    E8 = Extroverted Intuition
    E9 = Introverted Sensing

Those are just what I can remember off the top of my head, its been a while.

MBTI
    Ne
    Enneagram
    468 sx/so
    Socionics
    :-( None

E1 = Extroverted Thinking
    E2 = Extroverted Feeling
    E3 = No direct correlation but I personally know an Estp 3w2
    E4 = Introverted Intuition
    E5 = Introverted Thinking
    E6 = Introverted Feeling
    E7 = Extroverted Sensing
    E8 = Extroverted Intuition
    E9 = Introverted Sensing
    That's according to Riso and Hudson, though. Other authors correlate them differently. (Just fyi.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjuro View Post
    That's according to Riso and Hudson, though. Other authors correlate them differently. (Just fyi.)
    Yes, I am aware different authors correlate the two systems. I studied Riso and Hudson the longest as far as the enneagram is concerned, so thats why their correlations are the first which come to mind.

Here's another good resource.

JavaScript Tool for Exploring Typological Space

The Enneagram and the MBTI: an electronic journal on the relationship between the two personality typing systems.