This thread, though long dead, is something that interests me. I think it's a fine testament to the misconceptions we have about Fi as a function--I initially came to this message board typed as Fi because I heard it makes you "individualistic, independent, strong sense of truth, with convictions".
Sorry, but that's not how it works. Type 8 (or any type) is motivational while Fi is actually a cognitive process geared toward interpersonal calculations and developing principles around what you, the individual, value. Most of what's commonly said of Fi-doms actually puts me in mind 9s--for instance, seeing the value in all living things--possibly because a significant proportion of Fi-doms are 9s. It would therefore be far easier for me to argue that Fi-dom is actually more similar to type 9.
As a side note, Fe-users can value justice and truth, they can have unyielding principles, and dislike social expectation. Everything on the list below, actually. Again, it's an interpersonal calculation, not a motivation.
- a strong, visceral response to injustice--If we're going by enneagram, 1s and 6s also do this. Fe users can respond to injustice too.
- insist on being independent--conceivably, 1s, 4s, 5s, 6s, and 7s could do this as well regardless of MBTI.
- become extremely pissed if you try to control them--getting pissed off by control is both a head-center and gut-center issue.
- are wild and free spirited and disdain rules and being expected to be "appropriate"--I'd think this describes a 7 more than either type 8 or Fi.
- strong disliking for social expectation--I'd assign this to 5s first and foremost.
- solid and resilient (FPs to social conditioning and moral adversity; 8s to everything)--Oh those poor lil Fe-users that can't think for themselves or bounce back from anything. Oh those poor brainwashed Fe masses.
- both tend to have protective personalities--Where does it say this about Fi??
- value truth over tact (FPs often value tact and saying things in a nice way when possible, but not at the expense of truth)--I see this as a 5-8 issue (5s have the same problem), and I know some Fi-doms who prefer to keep their heads buried even at the expense of truth.
- both have beliefs and/or preferences that they will not compromise on under any circumstances--So do Fe-dom 1s.
- both insist on doing things "their way"--4s and 7s also feel the need to do things their way. Not 8 related.
I realize this is an old post and you've probably changed your views since then, but given that common depictions of "Fi" once created a mistype, I felt the need to write that.