User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Default Differences Between 3w4 and 4w3?

I'm lost. Extensive reading of type descriptions and careful observation of those who identify with each type doesn't seem to help. I don't think I'm completely ignorant about Enneagram, but the more I research, the less perspective I seem to have about my personality in general.

Is there a hard-and-fast rule to differentiating between the two?

Help me.

>.<

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Not a hard-&-fast rule, but 4s probably tend to be more withdrawn.
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    Not a hard-&-fast rule, but 4s probably tend to be more withdrawn.
    depends on what you mean by withdrawn. 3w4s often times are more poised and low key while 4w3s tend to be more emotionally expressive, passionate and intense (of course MBTI and instinct variant will play big roles in this as well), so, while the 4w3 is probably more introspective, the 3w4 can sometimes be closer to what is traditionally considered introverted
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

3w4's tend to be more individualistic 3's than 3w2's. Since they are influenced by their 4 wing, they want to be successful (3ish trait) in their own unique way (4ish trait), unlike w2's that follow the latest trends.

4w3's are more expressive 4's than 4w5's. They feel the heightened emotionality that their w5 cousins feel, but they tend to dramatize it to attract an audience (3ish trait), whereas w5's would rather keep it to themselves.
    We cast away priceless time in dreams, born of imagination, fed upon illusion, and put to death by reality. - Judy Garland

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbringer View Post
    3w4's tend to be more individualistic 3's than 3w2's. Since they are influenced by their 4 wing, they want to be successful (3ish trait) in their own unique way (4ish trait), unlike w2's that follow the latest trends.

4w3's are more expressive 4's than 4w5's. They feel the heightened emotionality that their w5 cousins feel, but they tend to dramatize it to attract an audience (3ish trait), whereas w5's would rather keep it to themselves.
    3w4 are not more individualistic than 4w3. 4 is the true individualistic of the enneagram, 3 are more prone to follow conventions without value judgments about this.

The big difference is that 3w4 are human doing and base their identitity on their performable success, while 4w3 are human feeling who base their identity on their emotions and feelings and over-identify with them.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I said 3w4's were more individualistic than 3w2's, not 4w3's.
    We cast away priceless time in dreams, born of imagination, fed upon illusion, and put to death by reality. - Judy Garland

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbringer View Post
    I said 3w4's were more individualistic than 3w2's, not 4w3's.
    Ok, sorry. but the thread is about the difference between 3w4 and 4w3.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I know. My post was aimed to describe the core of both types as simply as possible.

Try to consider which one sits better with you on its own - that can be your core type.

They're both emotional types, in that their fixations emerge from their heart and result in a need to create some sort of image for themselves.

• For 3s, the issue is a need for admiration - they want to feel like they're the best, and so they construct their images to make them seem like they're accomplished and successful and admirable people.
    • For 4s, the issue is a need for romanticism - they want to feel special and elevate their emotions, often to the point of drama or tragedy.

Considering this, I would contend that 3s are more malleable to what others expect of them, whereas 4s are more likely to follow the beat of their own drummer. In other words, 4s more easily dismiss the feelings of others in favor of their own, whereas 3s are constantly adapting to what others expect of them.

Does that seem accurate?
    Hello

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Guy V. Malaxia View Post
    I'm lost. Extensive reading of type descriptions and careful observation of those who identify with each type doesn't seem to help. I don't think I'm completely ignorant about Enneagram, but the more I research, the less perspective I seem to have about my personality in general.

Is there a hard-and-fast rule to differentiating between the two?

Help me.

>.<
    The 4w3 can be confused with the type 8. Charles Manson is a brooding, unhealthy 4w3. (I know the internet says he is a type 6, but I can't even begin to fathom the reason for that call.) The 3w4 is a bit quieter over-all (less intense).
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”