• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 7] 7s and procrastinating

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know most people suffer from this at least a little bit, but do any of you 7s feel like it's a VERY big problem for you. like, putting off short term pleasure for the sake of long term benefit is something that I intimately understand the benefit of, but it's just SOO hard when what you have to do to get a desired result is no fun :(

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know most people suffer from this at least a little bit, but do any of you 7s feel like it's a VERY big problem for you. like, putting off short term pleasure for the sake of long term benefit is something that I intimately understand the benefit of, but it's just SOO hard when what you have to do to get a desired result is no fun :(

As a hardcore 7w8, I offer the following guidance...

(1) Procrastination is hardest for us when we are charged to fulfill someone else's priorities, yet they have no self actualization or even joy potential for us.

(2) Putting in hard work over the long haul is not a problem at all if you identify with the end, the means are by default worth it.

-Bodybuilding is a great example.

++Eating well and exercising in a pre-meditated manner at 80-85% of full physical capacity for 6 weeks will get you very little, but doing so for six years will make you a force to be reckoned with.

++That is, if you identify with bodybuilding.

(3) So, that which you have an affinity for you will not procrastinate in pursuing, whether your own project or that of others.

(4) But that which is not of your liking will be put on the back burner until absolutely necessary.

CONCLUSION:
Hope this helps yez'. :newwink:

:solidarity:

-Alex

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Eh, some time in my life it used to be a bit of a problem (mostly before going to college). From my POV it's a matter of feeling like you are doing something out of your own choice. Probably similar to what Halla said in the above post.

So what exactly are you procrastinating about? Is it high school? You might consider that doing homework can be more pleasant than being bored and feeling guilty due to procrastination, when you access "the zone" i.e. when you start being good at it. You might also try to remove some distractions from your environment, going somewhere pleasant yet focus friendly (i.e. a beautiful park).

Chloe

I will bake a cake out of my dog's shit and eat it if Elfboy is a 7.

-Chloe :D

P.S. I used "Morty Lefkoe METHOD" (just google it, go to recreateyourlife.com to try sample, and find on torrents the whole programme ("natural confidence - theres one on tpb), to end procrastination. it helped. i finally hold a job for more than a month HAHA!)

here it is ; just try the whole programme (dont purchase, as i've said - there is one on torrents)

http://recreateyourlife.com/store/procrastination-ed.php

Here's A List Of All The Beliefs And
Conditionings You'll Eliminate:

Mistakes and failure are bad.
I'm not good enough.
Change is difficult.
What makes me good enough or important is having people think well of me.
Nothing I do is good enough.
I'm not capable.
I'm not competent.
If I make a mistake or fail I'll be rejected.
I'm a failure.
I'm stupid.
I'm not worthy.
I'm powerless.
What makes me good enough or important is doing things perfectly.
Conditioning: Fear associated with criticism and judgment.
Conditioning: Fear associated with not meeting expectations.
Conditioning: Fear associated with rejection.

When these beliefs and conditionings are gone, you'll be able to do what you want to do without some “irresistible force” pulling you away. You'll finish tasks on time and eliminate the hassle you get from people who now complain about not getting what you promised. The anxiety that used to plague you when you thought about the projects that weren't getting done will be gone forever.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is probably my number 1 worst flaw. I don't think it has to do with being a 7 though, I think it has to do with being a P

It's useless to give advice on the topic, (well for me anyway) because it's giving logical advice on something that the offender knows is illogical to begin with.

"Depressed people, just stop being depressed because it's not good."

Chloe

This is probably my number 1 worst flaw. I don't think it has to do with being a 7 though, I think it has to do with being a P.

yeah, i am a 3 and huge procrastinator... it's not related...so much.i've seen crazy responsible 7s, it's more about beliefs you hold, motivation, nurturing.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yeah, i am a 3 and huge procrastinator... it's not related...so much.i've seen crazy responsible 7s, it's more about beliefs you hold, motivation, nurturing.

Yeah, actually, "beliefs you hold", that is a really good point. There's a lot of underlying mental stuff that goes with procrastination. Fear, perfectionism, etc.

Chloe

Yeah, actually, "beliefs you hold", that is a really good point. There's a lot of underlying mental stuff that goes with procrastination. Fear, perfectionism, etc.

yeah, see my previous post, i've edited it!

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yeah, see my previous post, i've edited it!

Oh, thanks for that, this is a really good point. I think that a lot of people think that theres a simple fix for procrastinators. It's just a complex behavior.

Chloe

Oh, thanks for that, this is a really good point. I think that a lot of people think that theres a simple fix for procrastinators. It's just a complex behavior.

actually, i think the MLM (morty lefkoe method) is a quick fix. Not to go into details, but it changed me over night. I was depressed for about 10 years, and within a week depression just disappeared, and never came back (2 months) and procrastination. It might not work for everyone, though.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I tend to find that my propensity to procrastinate is directly inverse to the amount of shit I have going on. If I know I have a lot of things going on, it forces me to structure my day, and be disciplined in terms of how I execute things. If I have just like one thing on my calendar I'll let it get bigger and bigger in my mind until I just can't do it. 7s are generally high energy people. We like to have a lot of things engaging us at once, and we like the pleasure that comes from accomplishing tasks. I prefer to leverage those traits to make my excessive mental activity work for me, rather than against me. It always comes back to what you enjoy. If you can find the pleasure in getting things done, then everything else will fall into place naturally.

Last edited:

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tend to find that my propensity to procrastinate is directly inverse to the amount of shit I have going on. If I know I have a lot of things going on, it forces me to structure my day, and be disciplined in terms of how I execute things. If I have just like one thing on my calendar I'll let it get bigger and bigger in my mind until I just can't do it. 7s are generally high energy people. We like to have a lot of things engaging us at once, and we like the pleasure that comes from accomplishing tasks. I prefer to leverage those traits to work make my excessive mental activity work for me, rather than against me. It always comes back to what you enjoy. If you can find the pleasure in getting things done, then everything else will fall into place naturally.

The bolded is certainly my problem, except for one tweak of my part. I would prefer one critically important task that I can tackle and get over with than a bunch of small things looming over me. If I have to do this thing and that thing and that thing and that thing I just sort of...deflate. A bunch of little things looming over me just causes a mental avalanche and I get buried.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It makes sense. 7's avoid pain, and doing thngs you're supposed to do is naturally painful.

I think P's are just naturally lazy though. As a P, I constantly have to force myself do not procrastinate/be lazy. I'm successful at it, but it's a neverending battle. For J's, it's effortless and natural, because they were born without the lazy gene.

I think it's an evolutionary throwback to conserving as much energy as possible. I don't know why our stupid fuckin bodies think we're still in the goddamn ice age.

So if you wonder why P's have tardiness issues, it's because our evolutionary clocks are a few thousand years behind.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Eh, some time in my life it used to be a bit of a problem (mostly before going to college). From my POV it's a matter of feeling like you are doing something out of your own choice. Probably similar to what Halla said in the above post.

So what exactly are you procrastinating about? Is it high school? You might consider that doing homework can be more pleasant than being bored and feeling guilty due to procrastination, when you access "the zone" i.e. when you start being good at it. You might also try to remove some distractions from your environment, going somewhere pleasant yet focus friendly (i.e. a beautiful park).

yeah it seems much easier if i can somehow manage to make whatever it is that i have to do into something fun or i'll do this then...do this other fun thing....like say...i have to drive far away to do some non fun thing..i'll say...ohhh...but i can go by this place that will be fun that i never go to because it's so far....just things like that all the time with everything...boringness...then reward...etc

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It makes sense. 7's avoid pain, and doing thngs you're supposed to do is naturally painful.

I think P's are just naturally lazy though. As a P, I constantly have to force myself do not procrastinate/be lazy. I'm successful at it, but it's a neverending battle. For J's, it's effortless and natural, because they were born without the lazy gene.

I think it's an evolutionary throwback to conserving as much energy as possible. I don't know why our stupid fuckin bodies think we're still in the goddamn ice age.

So if you wonder why P's have tardiness issues, it's because our evolutionary clocks are a few thousand years behind.

I think it's inaccurate to say that P's are inherently lazy. I mean, Steve Jobs was ENTP, and evidently managed to work right up until he died. It seems like ya'll work more on intrinsic motivation than we do, but that's just speculation on my part.

Also, I see you've changed back to ENTP. Welcome back to the NT fold, my friend.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
p's aren't inherently lazy...i have limitless energy to put towards things i value.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

That is really interesting- I believe I am a 7, and I seek things I feel are painful or uncomfortable in order to confront them.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That is really interesting- I believe I am a 7, and I seek things I feel are painful or uncomfortable in order to confront them.

I think that's actually cp 6.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think it's inaccurate to say that P's are inherently lazy. I mean, Steve Jobs was ENTP, and evidently managed to work right up until he died. It seems like ya'll work more on intrinsic motivation than we do, but that's just speculation on my part.

Also, I see you've changed back to ENTP. Welcome back to the NT fold, my friend.

I thought Jobs was ENTJ?
But anyhow, of course there are hardworking P's out there - we just have to literally force ourselves to work.

And yes, nobody's lazy about doing things they love, but necessary stuff like filing taxes, doing schoolwork, not diddlydaddling in the morning when you need to hurry up and get ready, all the mundane hoops to jump through in order to do what you love., etc....can be easy to procrastinate.

P's manage, but it looks like this: