User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

I tend to find that my propensity to procrastinate is directly inverse to the amount of shit I have going on. If I know I have a lot of things going on, it forces me to structure my day, and be disciplined in terms of how I execute things. If I have just like one thing on my calendar I'll let it get bigger and bigger in my mind until I just can't do it. 7s are generally high energy people. We like to have a lot of things engaging us at once, and we like the pleasure that comes from accomplishing tasks. I prefer to leverage those traits to make my excessive mental activity work for me, rather than against me. It always comes back to what you enjoy. If you can find the pleasure in getting things done, then everything else will fall into place naturally.
    Last edited by Wind Up Rex; 10-22-2011 at 06:06 AM.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    I tend to find that my propensity to procrastinate is directly inverse to the amount of shit I have going on. If I know I have a lot of things going on, it forces me to structure my day, and be disciplined in terms of how I execute things. If I have just like one thing on my calendar I'll let it get bigger and bigger in my mind until I just can't do it. 7s are generally high energy people. We like to have a lot of things engaging us at once, and we like the pleasure that comes from accomplishing tasks. I prefer to leverage those traits to work make my excessive mental activity work for me, rather than against me. It always comes back to what you enjoy. If you can find the pleasure in getting things done, then everything else will fall into place naturally.
    The bolded is certainly my problem, except for one tweak of my part. I would prefer one critically important task that I can tackle and get over with than a bunch of small things looming over me. If I have to do this thing and that thing and that thing and that thing I just sort of...deflate. A bunch of little things looming over me just causes a mental avalanche and I get buried.
    Never wrestle with a pig. You will get dirty and the pig will enjoy it.

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

It makes sense. 7's avoid pain, and doing thngs you're supposed to do is naturally painful.

I think P's are just naturally lazy though. As a P, I constantly have to force myself do not procrastinate/be lazy. I'm successful at it, but it's a neverending battle. For J's, it's effortless and natural, because they were born without the lazy gene.

I think it's an evolutionary throwback to conserving as much energy as possible. I don't know why our stupid fuckin bodies think we're still in the goddamn ice age.

So if you wonder why P's have tardiness issues, it's because our evolutionary clocks are a few thousand years behind.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Eh, some time in my life it used to be a bit of a problem (mostly before going to college). From my POV it's a matter of feeling like you are doing something out of your own choice. Probably similar to what Halla said in the above post.

So what exactly are you procrastinating about? Is it high school? You might consider that doing homework can be more pleasant than being bored and feeling guilty due to procrastination, when you access "the zone" i.e. when you start being good at it. You might also try to remove some distractions from your environment, going somewhere pleasant yet focus friendly (i.e. a beautiful park).
    yeah it seems much easier if i can somehow manage to make whatever it is that i have to do into something fun or i'll do this then...do this other fun thing....like say...i have to drive far away to do some non fun thing..i'll say...ohhh...but i can go by this place that will be fun that i never go to because it's so far....just things like that all the time with everything...boringness...then reward...etc
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    It makes sense. 7's avoid pain, and doing thngs you're supposed to do is naturally painful.

I think P's are just naturally lazy though. As a P, I constantly have to force myself do not procrastinate/be lazy. I'm successful at it, but it's a neverending battle. For J's, it's effortless and natural, because they were born without the lazy gene.

I think it's an evolutionary throwback to conserving as much energy as possible. I don't know why our stupid fuckin bodies think we're still in the goddamn ice age.

So if you wonder why P's have tardiness issues, it's because our evolutionary clocks are a few thousand years behind.
    I think it's inaccurate to say that P's are inherently lazy. I mean, Steve Jobs was ENTP, and evidently managed to work right up until he died. It seems like ya'll work more on intrinsic motivation than we do, but that's just speculation on my part.

Also, I see you've changed back to ENTP. Welcome back to the NT fold, my friend.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

p's aren't inherently lazy...i have limitless energy to put towards things i value.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    That is really interesting- I believe I am a 7, and I seek things I feel are painful or uncomfortable in order to confront them.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    That is really interesting- I believe I am a 7, and I seek things I feel are painful or uncomfortable in order to confront them.
    I do this too.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    I think that's actually cp 6.
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    I think it's inaccurate to say that P's are inherently lazy. I mean, Steve Jobs was ENTP, and evidently managed to work right up until he died. It seems like ya'll work more on intrinsic motivation than we do, but that's just speculation on my part.

Also, I see you've changed back to ENTP. Welcome back to the NT fold, my friend.
    I thought Jobs was ENTJ?
    But anyhow, of course there are hardworking P's out there - we just have to literally force ourselves to work.

And yes, nobody's lazy about doing things they love, but necessary stuff like filing taxes, doing schoolwork, not diddlydaddling in the morning when you need to hurry up and get ready, all the mundane hoops to jump through in order to do what you love., etc....can be easy to procrastinate.

P's manage, but it looks like this:

sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN: