• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 9] Any 9 experts around here?

VagrantFarce

I think you need to take a break, mate. :) Go find yourself first, then come back and see if anything fits.

B

brainheart

Maybe, but I get along with everyone. If I disagree with someone, I do it in a way that avoids conflict. If someone says something harsh or offensive, I rarely take it personally. It's pretty hard to make me angry, so I never get into conflicts with anyone.

If this indeed is true, as well as your post before, I seriously doubt you're a four, in fact I wonder how you could ever think you were.

Silveresque

If this indeed is true, as well as your post before, I seriously doubt you're a four, in fact I wonder how you could ever think you were.

I think you're right. I'm starting to see type 4 in such a new way that I can't even relate to it anymore--there's a whole lot more to the 4's identifying with and embracing their melancholy than I thought. But if you're curious, my main type me thread is here.

Silveresque

Well, now that 4's out, that brings up 5 again as a possibility. Right now, I'm a bit split between 9 and 5, especially since 5 won last time, but the whole time I was a 5, it never really felt right.

Five/Nine
Intense/Soft
Strong-minded/Easy-going
Argumentative/Comforting
Resistant/Receptive
Suspicious/Trusting
Focused/Diffuse
Penetrating/Unfocused
Theory/Fantasy
Particularities/Generalities
Pessimistic/Optimistic
High-strung/Peaceful
Disconnect from others/Merge with others
Defensive/Accomodating
Complexify things/Simplify things
Discriminating/Accepting
Detach/Space-out

But 9 is in the gut/body triad, and I've never considered myself in-sync with my body. I'm clumsy and not at all athletic, though I do care a lot about physical comfort. I don't know if this triad is working for me. :shrug:

Also, I feel the same way about social situations that a 5 would. I guess I like socializing sometimes, but I often feel like I like my mind better, my own little world where I can do whatever I want. When I'm with my friends, a lot of times it feels like I'm just going through the motions, I'm never fully there and fully engaged. I was just walking back from class with a friend earlier, and she kept telling me to "Say something!" when I didn't really have anything to say. My mind doesn't automatically go to conversation topics, but she didn't seem to get that. I like having friends, but I don't like having obligations and expectations placed on me, and I quickly get tired from socializing and need to get away so I can breathe again.

Silveresque

[MENTION=14216]RevlisZero[/MENTION],

INFP 9w1 sp

9s are the ones in the gut triad out of touch with their instinctual energy.

That's kind of what I thought at first, but I can't seem to find anything that elaborates on that. But that's not the only problem I have with 9. Here's another thing I've been looking at:

Naranjo's conception of 9 is very much what we've come to except. The 9 becomes numb & dead to his inner life, and becomes an external conformist. The 9 goes along with society as a whole without second guessing it, becoming conservative. The 9 does not look inwardly much if at all, and prefers not to. The 9 is a social, instinctual creature who maintains a positive attitude and avoids negativity. E9s reject complexity in favor of simplicity.

The primary distinction between 5 and 9 here would be that 9s reject their internal life in favor of an external orientation to reality, whereas 5s reject the external world in favor of their internal world. 5s become externally alienated, and 9s become internally alienated by going along with everything around them.

I definitely side with 5 here. I practically live in my head. There's no way I'd reject my internal life in favor of an external orientation to reality.

B

brainheart

That's kind of what I thought at first, but I can't seem to find anything that elaborates on that. But that's not the only problem I have with 9. Here's another thing I've been looking at:

I definitely side with 5 here. I practically live in my head. There's no way I'd reject my internal life in favor of an external orientation to reality.

Crap, I dunno. Maybe you're a 5w6 or 6w5.

I don't get how any ixxp no matter the etype wouldn't have an internal orientation.

B

brainheart

Why not 5w4?

Yeah, I wondered about that too. It doesn't really make sense since many 9's are INFP's, which should make them very introspective.

I have a hard time believing a 5w4 would say they get along with everyone. Maybe I'm wrong, though. (and maybe 5w6/6w5 would feel less this way?) Also, you already said 4 was something you couldn't even relate to anymore.

But still, I think you're a nine.

I think nine descriptions, for the most part, are written about isfjs or something, just like the four descriptions always seem to lean toward the 4w3. You have to look at it big picture vs getting caught up in the details. When I get caught up in details I start thinking I'm a five... Which I'm not.

G

Glycerine

You should totally get to know [MENTION=4722]Udog[/MENTION]. to get a feel for an e9 INFP.

Silveresque

I have a hard time believing a 5w4 would say they get along with everyone. Maybe I'm wrong, though. (and maybe 5w6/6w5 would feel less this way?) Also, you already said 4 was something you couldn't even relate to anymore.

I don't relate to 4 as a main type or a part of my tritype, but as a wing it's perfect. It brings emotionality, creativity, and imagination to the 5w4.

5w4 - Seeking Knowledge and Identity

The difference between the 4 wing and the 6 wing in Fives is like the difference between Art and Science. 4 wing brings an abstract, intuitive cast of thought, as though the Five were thinking in geometric shapes instead of words or realistic images. May be talented artistically and inhabit moods like Fours do. Combine intellectual and emotional imagination. Enjoy the realm of philosophy and beautiful constructs of thought. The marriage of mental perspective and aesthetics is the best of life for them. When more defensive may seem a little ghostly, have a whisper in their voice. Fluctuate between impersonal withdrawal and bursts of friendly caring. Can get floaty and abstract. Act like they're inside a bubble, sometimes with an air of implicit superiority. Cliché of the "absentminded professor" applies especially to Fives with this wing. Environmentally sensitive and subject at times to total overwhelm. Touchy about criticism. Can be slow to recover from traumatic events. Melancholy isolation and bleak existential depression are possible pitfalls.

5w6 - Seeking Knowledge and Security

The 6 wing brings an orientation to detail and technical knowledge, along with the tendency to think in logical sequence. Especially intellectual, far more analytical than Fives with a 4 wing. Can be loyal friends, offering strong behind-the-scenes support. Kind, patient teachers, skillful experts. May have a sense of mission and work hard. Sometimes project an aura of sensitive nerdiness and have clumsy social skills. When defensive, they can be unnerved by the expectations of others. May like people more but avoid them more. Especially sensitive to social indebtedness. Could have trouble saying "thank you." Fear of taking action, develop "information addiction" instead. Ask lots of questions but don't get around to the decision at hand. When more entranced, they develop a suspicious scrutiny of other people's motives but can also be blind followers. Misanthropic and Scrooge-like when defensive. More able to keep their feelings cut off in a constant way. Can be cold, skeptical, ironic, and disassociated. A Five's 6 wing can be phobic or counterphobic. Counterphobic 6 wing brings courage and antiauthoritarian attitudes. When defensive they may mock authority, or angrily tell others off. Tend to "push the envelope," experiment, find what the limits are.

But still, I think you're a nine.

I think nine descriptions, for the most part, are written about isfjs or something, just like the four descriptions always seem to lean toward the 4w3. You have to look at it big picture vs getting caught up in the details. When I get caught up in details I start thinking I'm a five... Which I'm not.

That could be. I don't think the 9 descriptions are especially accurate, but it's hard to get enough information.

And speaking of the big picture, this tritype as a whole makes a lot of sense to me. It's a delicate balance that I don't think would work nearly as well if I had 9 as my dominant type. I no longer need 4w5 in my tritype because I don't relate to it that strongly, and the wing already provides plenty. I now have 2 in my tritype because I really like helping people (especially by sharing my knowledge). Whenever I sense that someone is suffering, I want to help that person so much, and that's a large part of why I want to change my major to psychology. But my 2 side doesn't show very often because it's hard to get from 5 (detached, stingy with time) to 2 (attached, altruistic), and 9 (disengaged) doesn't help much. 5 and 2 are not necessarily in direct conflict, but 5's detached and aloof qualities rarely lead to a context for my 2 side to take over. But 2 is definitely there, and I've noticed it more and more lately. If I were 9w1 5w4 2w1 instead, my primary mode would be one that's more accommodating, which should create more contexts for 2 to show itself. But I don't really feel like that's my primary mode. I'm having a hard time explaining myself here (there's a lot more to it than this), but I'm looking at all the interrelations between my types and behaviors, and overall this combination with 5w4 as the main type makes perfect sense.

Also, if I look at the description for this tritype, it works:

5-9-2: rather easy-going, modest and amiable, these Fives are usually pleasant to have around because of their friendly nature and deeper understanding of the human needs and frailties. They are less judgmental and critical than other Fives and prefer to focus on the better side of things and people and work on exploring and improving these. They also have a somewhat holistic approach to life’s problems and questions – they tend to prefer the general to the particular and aren’t always very scientifically thorough.
typical subtypes: self-preserving, social, 5w4
similar tritypes: 5-2-9, 9-5-2
flavours: agreeable, relaxed, friendly and spiritual

This tritype could certainly look very much like a 9. Even if you don't believe in tritypes, this still shows that a 5 can resemble a 9 to this extent.

B

brainheart

I don't know, I just feel like the tritype makes it so wishy washy it's like what's the point? If the dominant type doesn't make sense without all that stuff, it seems kind of meaningless.

Yes, I relate a lot to five, but when push comes to shove, I tend to wallow in my feelings. Fives aren't comfortable with that. Therefore, it is not my dominant type.

But if I look at the 549 descriptions, it sounds a lot like me, and it sounds like they do all the four things I do. So it's confusing. I don't know, don't know what to make of it.

Silveresque

I don't know, I just feel like the tritype makes it so wishy washy it's like what's the point? If the dominant type doesn't make sense without all that stuff, it seems kind of meaningless.

I often feel that way about tritypes too. But this one actually makes sense to me. I think it's the descriptions that make it confusing because a lot of what's in those could be attributed to other factors like the wing (I noticed this especially with the 594 and 549 descriptions--most of what those described is already accounted for by w4). Anyways, I do believe 5 makes sense by itself, it just makes even more sense with the tritype.

Yes, I relate a lot to five, but when push comes to shove, I tend to wallow in my feelings. Fives aren't comfortable with that. Therefore, it is not my dominant type.

But if I look at the 549 descriptions, it sounds a lot like me, and it sounds like they do all the four things I do. So it's confusing. I don't know, don't know what to make of it.

5w4's can wallow in feelings, and can even be comfortable with their feelings--that's what the 4 wing adds. The difference seems to be that 4's do it to a much greater degree. 4's feel their emotions intensely all the time and find beauty in sadness. While 5w4's are capable of this, they don't do it as much and are more likely to suppress their emotions. That's the impression I get, anyways. :shrug:

VagrantFarce

I don't get how any ixxp no matter the etype wouldn't have an internal orientation.

I see people do this all the time and I wonder why. The enneagram and MBTI should not be considered complimentary, all you end up doing is muddying the waters. It's like trying to combine metric and imperial measurements.

I'm also starting to think, more and more, that the wings are horseshit as well, for the same reason. Plus they're arbitrary as hell.

Silveresque

Here are the problems I have with 9:

-9's supposedly aren't introspective and wouldn't care that much about finding their type
-I'm not sure I understand 9's concept of "merging"
-I'm not particularly other-oriented
-The descriptions make them sound more extroverted, and I'm a loner
-I have no problem saying 'no' (when I don't assert myself, it's usually because I don't care one way or the other)
-I don't lose myself in others

Here are the problems I have with 5:

-I'm not particularly intellectual (I can be interested in intellectual things, but I lack the energy, focus, and motivation to pursue them in depth)
-I'm not at all argumentative or arrogant
-I've never really been able to relate to 5's existential angst/depression (because the meaninglessness doesn't really bother me)
-I can't relate to the levels of development in the healthy range (because they emphasize being intellectual)

VagrantFarce

Fives aren't required to be intellectual or academic, but they tend to be smart-arses when they're in a bad mood.

The problem Fives have is detachment, which is a state of observing the world as if you're not a part of it. This can lead to all sorts of things, such as the aforementioned smart-arsery, or feeling like you're too removed from normal participation - which can lead to all sorts of nasty things.

Healthy Fives supplement their detachment with healthy, emotional participation - they no longer withdraw out of fear, and consequently no longer consider themselves "separate" from everything going on around them.

I get the feeling that you're still young, which means you're still figuring out who you really are. Once you get independent, you'll come to understand yourself better - both the good and the bad.

Silveresque

Thanks, [MENTION=5632]VagrantFarce[/MENTION]. I do feel pretty isolated and removed, while 9's are supposed to feel connected. I think I probably am a 5. The problems I have with it are minor things that aren't that important. Something else I've been thinking about is that when I start to feel overwhelmed by my emotions, I have a compulsive need to get away from people and be completely alone. I think 9's would probably have a compulsive need to blend in and convince themselves that everything's okay. Thus, 9's would become less internally focused under stress while 5's would become more internally focused.

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
That's what I thought. But I really don't want to be INFP 4w5, because that would put me right back where I started. :(

I have now been every combination of INFP/INTP and each of the types in my tritype. (INFP 4w5, INFP 5w4, INTP 5w4, INTP 4w5, INTP 9w1, and INFP 9w1) :laugh:

This is basically where I am, though I started getting interested in the enneagram only recently, having been interested in the MBTI for 21 years.

A couple of people have offered the idea that my primary type is an Enneagram 9, where I was fluctuating between the idea that I'm 4 or 5. Apparently I've been exhibiting very type 9 behavior on forums.

Reading some description, I may be e9. So I'm wondering what I can do with that? I may start a thread about how to be the happiest 9 on Earth.

But I can't seem to completely decide between 4 and 9 at the moment.

Silveresque

This is basically where I am, though I started getting interested in the enneagram only recently, having been interested in the MBTI for 21 years.

A couple of people have offered the idea that my primary type is an Enneagram 9, where I was fluctuating between the idea that I'm 4 or 5. Apparently I've been exhibiting very type 9 behavior on forums.

Reading some description, I may be e9. So I'm wondering what I can do with that? I may start a thread about how to be the happiest 9 on Earth.

But I can't seem to completely decide between 4 and 9 at the moment.

What made me realize I wasn't a 4 was that I started to understand the extent to which 4's identify with their emotions. Thinking "I am a sad person" is not quite the same thing as taking your melancholy into your identity. Anyone can recognize that they have emotions, but there's a big difference between acknowledging them and embracing them. 9's especially do not want to embrace their dark side, their negative emotions. They want to pretend they don't have emotional needs so they go into a state of self-denial to avoid getting overwhelmed by negative emotions. They avoid introspection and try to convince themselves that everything is okay by blending in to their environment and keeping themselves busy. 4's accept their dark side fully and embrace it as a part of their identity. They don't shy away from emotional pain or negativity like a 9 would. And while 9's avoid introspection, 4's are prone to doing too much introspection and brooding. 5's are probably somewhere in between 9 and 4 when it comes to dealing with emotions. They can accept them or ignore them by suppressing them, but they're not likely to embrace their emotions nearly as much as a 4 would.

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
And while 9's avoid introspection, 4's are prone to doing too much introspection and brooding. 5's are probably somewhere in between 9 and 4 when it comes to dealing with emotions. They can accept them or ignore them by suppressing them, but they're not likely to embrace their emotions nearly as much as a 4 would.

This makes me think I'm more 4 again. I wonder if I can play my 9 qualities with my 4 ones into some kind of upward spiral. It seems I'm doing the opposite, like spiraling down.

Right now I'm watching videos on another forum about type 9's, so well see. It seems type 9's sort of get lost in others or group opinion and they withdraw to figure out who they are again, or something.

I identify with some of it, but it's that part I have difficulty with. I do identify with sloth and inertia and not wanting to deal with problems, but I don't identify much with getting lost in others. I am overly preoccupied with everyone's opinions of me, and tend to not be able to decide between people's points of view. But most of the time I'm wallowing around in my own emotional states. I rarely "go along with group". Maybe if we are deciding on a movie, but in my life and work I want to independently come up with my own system.

*confused*

I did start a thread about it too. Okay...back to watching e9 videos...