User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Default Enneagram 1 descriptions: the least accurate?

Every type 1 I know (myself included) has gotten the wrong result on an Enneagram test and then mistyped for an extended period of time. I thought I was a type 6 for several months, and my type 1 roommate spent a while thinking she was a type 5.

I blame this on really, really bad descriptions of type 1, online. I initially ruled out being a One because of

1) the focus on "morality"*, which I don't relate to at all;
    2) the idea that we are defined by "resentment"*, which I am not; and
    3) the idea that our greatest fear is "corruption"*, which I am not all that afraid of.

There is no doubt in my mind that I'm a One. I may be one of the best examples of type 1w2 on the forum! And yet I don't relate to the basic tenants of the type??

Any thoughts from other type Ones on this? Or from people who know Ones pretty well? Is this a problem with most Enneagram descriptions, and I just didn't notice? Insert ideas/thoughts/bitching here.

* In order for the descriptions to represent me, I would replace the quoted words/phrases with, respectively, "fairness", "repression", and "hypocrisy". This may seem like small changes, but they make a pretty huge difference!
    Last edited by Patches; 07-06-2012 at 09:25 PM.
    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    IsFJ

Perhaps they're talking in more general terms, in order to apply to both healthy and unhealthy Ones to an extent? I'd argue that "repression" and "resentment" are connected when it comes to the "average health" One's mindset, though.

Or perhaps it's more biased towards 1w9s?

I know exactly what you mean. My dad is a 1w9, but if I showed him the descriptions I'm sure he would say they don't fit him, because they're too focused on morality and fear of being evil/corrupt. I think the descriptions should focus more on the need to be conscientious and the fear of being wrong (not necessarily in a moral context), which applies to a wider and more everyday context. Hmmm...You said "fair" instead of conscientious, and "hypocrisy" instead of wrongness. I suppose those could fit him too, though they're not necessarily the words I would choose.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Enneagram texts like to make their descriptions more fancy and unique than they really are. A type One in the simplest sense is just a very opinionated individual.
    We cast away priceless time in dreams, born of imagination, fed upon illusion, and put to death by reality. - Judy Garland

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

It seems to me that people have a harder time finding their enneagram than on most other tests. It took me several tries over several years. I hate the way some aspects of 4-ness are described; i.e., 4 wants to be unique -- for me, it's more like I am over and over again told I am weird (unique), so I own that as a part of who I am -- it was never something I wanted and growing up, I didn't realize I was weird. It became apparent to me because people pointed it out. So yeah. I think it's a function of enneagram rather than 1s in particular.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    It seems to me that people have a harder time finding their enneagram than on most other tests. It took me several tries over several years. I hate the way some aspects of 4-ness are described; i.e., 4 wants to be unique -- for me, it's more like I am over and over again told I am weird (unique), so I own that as a part of who I am -- it was never something I wanted and growing up, I didn't realize I was weird. It became apparent to me because people pointed it out. So yeah. I think it's a function of enneagram rather than 1s in particular.
    Gawd i know. I wish I could get with the enneagram stuff but it just doesn't fit me well (imo), outside the stacking (which i really like). I've tested 1.2.4.5.and even 8.lol. with various wings. I don't know how well 4 even fits me either.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I always tested as an 8. You might be on to something there.

It's something about the "church lady" description that throws people off, I think.
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    I know exactly what you mean. My dad is a 1w9, but if I showed him the descriptions I'm sure he would say they don't fit him, because they're too focused on morality and fear of being evil/corrupt. I think the descriptions should focus more on the need to be conscientious and the fear of being wrong (not necessarily in a moral context), which applies to a wider and more everyday context. Hmmm...You said "fair" instead of conscientious, and "hypocrisy" instead of wrongness. I suppose those could fit him too, though they're not necessarily the words I would choose.
    You have a point here. Those are better words, probably. The reason why "hypocrisy" came to mind so quickly, for me, is that the past few times I've been verbally angry at myself in front of other people, I've vented about being a hypocrite; going against my values when my values are so important to me. But I think "wrongness" covers that too, as well as an umbrella of other topics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbringer View Post
    Enneagram texts like to make their descriptions more fancy and unique than they really are. A type One in the simplest sense is just a very opinionated individual.
    I agree with the first sentence but not the second -- since it's so, so much more than being opinionated. But if I were to simplify type One like that, I'd say that we are essentially just people with obscenely high standards, that we compare absolutely everything to. We are more in touch with Plato's concept of "telos" than any other type.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    This makes a lot of sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by mujigay View Post
    I always tested as an 8. You might be on to something there.
    Hey, I tested as type 8, too!
    It's something about the "church lady" description that throws people off, I think.
    Seriously. I read it and I was like "I am so much more fun than this! And I'm not always up in people's grills!"
    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    1) the focus on "morality"*, which I don't relate to at all;
    2) the idea that we are defined by "resentment"*, which I am not; and
    3) the idea that our greatest fear is "corruption"*, which I am not all that afraid of.
    It may be a matter of degree. I think of morality a lot, especially in the context of which action is the least messy or the one your conscience will give you the least grief over. I have a strong superego.

Personally, I find myself wanting to make sense of chaotic things and it's more universal than just being Mr. Manners (though I can do that). It's every thing from how clean a plate is in the laundry, whether the punctuation in a text I send is correct, to making absolutely certain I wipe cleanly.

Maybe that's why I enjoy organizing things...

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I knew I was a One right away and have stuck with it ever since, so not all of us feel like it's a miss. However, as a rule, where MBTI profiles are too inclusive and vague, it seems Enneagram descriptions are usually to exclusive and specific. Accordingly, many people spend a while feeling they aren't any Enneagram type.

I've read some rather decent published descriptions for type One (particularly Helen Palmer's). It's only when I start reading the descriptions from people on random websites or on forums like these that are start wondering how they're supposed to sound like me.
    Go to sleep, iguana.