User Tag List

First 123 Last

And here people have been typing me a 9 lately. I wonder why.

It sounds like the hardest type to be, as far as I'm concerned. Peace and love are not anything I'd want to strive for (If that sounds bad, I only mean it in terms of.. what's the most comfortable first course. As a general idea, it's great. I'm not sure how anyone actually lives it though).

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    3w2 sx/so

@ReflecTcelfeR: Thanks, that's actually really helpful

@KDude: I know what you mean. I'm starting to think that 9 is not really my thing. And I'd agree that it sounds like a pretty tough set of ideals to live by.

I think the person I was typed 9 because 9s are introverts with an interest/investment in the world outside their heads. I get the impression that 9s have a particularly hard time typing themselves, too, so people may get pointed to the 9 Enneagram types just in case.
    3 INTP

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I don't see 9 as striving for it, more as having an awareness of it and not wanting anything to interfere with it. I could be way off-base, but I have 9 in my tri-type and I relate to it in that I feel life as a flowing thing and I try not to be a boulder in its path. I see 9 as having a very hands-off style and wanting there to be no striving and no hassle, for things to just flow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljnv3KGtcyI

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Am I the only person posting here who knows she is a 9?

I would ask for a deeper explanation of what this "holy idea" is supposed to mean or represent before commenting.

This:

Each Enneagram type has a “Holy Idea”, which represents a particular characteristic of reality that they are particularly sensitive to. Each Enneagram type perceives one element of the universe above all others, and all type traits follow from this origin point.
    doesn't explain anything to me.

Elaborate please?
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Please look at the first post, where the OP gives a link.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Please look at the first post, where the OP gives a link.
    Thanks, but I have already accessed that link. IMO, there are much better descriptions of 9's out there than this one anyway.

The “Holy Idea” of Type Nine is love, a word that is so often used but so rarely analyzed. In this context, it does not refer to romantic love, it refers to a general sense of affection and appreciation. In Enneagram theory, a Type Nine individual is naturally sensitive to the concept of love (their Holy Idea) from a young age, which leads them to develop the traits normally associated with Type Nine in later years. As a Type Nine individual becomes more accustomed to the world, they are presented with the reality that things just aren't going to go smoothly. The ideal mental state of a Nine would be one of serenity and contemplation, but the world does not give up its conflict easily. The solution is for the Nine to withdraw from one's self and get absorbed in the outside world. At the same time, they are likely to seek peace in their endeavors, as it challenges the serenity they associate with love.
    This tells me nothing. I need a definition of "Holy Idea". Ergo, my request still stands.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Somebody here is supposed to explain that for you? It's the writer's own idea, I think.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Somebody here is supposed to explain that for you? It's the writer's own idea, I think.
    No, it's not actually ...

OK, as my Dad says, when you want something done you have to do it yourself:

According to A.H. Almaas, in Facets of Unity: The Enneagram of Holy Ideas, each Enneagram style is an egoic perspective resulting from loss or absence of the enlightened perception of one of the Holy Ideas:

"Each Holy Idea is a view of reality which reflects an understanding of the wholeness and unity of the world or universe, of human beings, and of the functioning of reality... While perceiving the world through all of the fixations, each individual will perceive the world most strongly through the Holy Idea associated with his or her ennea-type. The fixated mental perspective of each is simply a blind spot, and the specific blindness is the lack of perception of the Holy Idea for that type."

Nine – Holy Love, the heart of truth, the quality of lovableness of reality when it is seen without distortion, rather than through the filter of the ego.
    Source: http://www.breakoutofthebox.com/holyideas.htm

Ichazo's brilliant work was in discovering how these Divine Forms and their corresponding distortions connected with the Enneagram symbol and with the three Centers of human intelligence, Thinking, Feeling, and Instinct. He called the higher, essential qualities of the human mind the Holy Ideas, in accordance with western mystical tradition. Each Holy Idea also has a corresponding Virtue. The Virtues are essential qualities of the heart experienced by human beings when they are abiding in Essence. As a person loses awareness and presence, falling away from Essence into the trance of the personality, the loss of awareness of the Holy Idea becomes a person's Ego-fixation, and the loss of contact with the Virtue causes the person's characteristic Passion. While everyone has the capacity to embody all of the Holy Ideas and Virtues, one pair of them is central to the soul's identity, so the loss if it is felt most acutely, and the person's ego is most preoccupied with recreating it, although in a futile, self-defeating way. See the diagram below.
    Source: http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/history.asp

Hmm, will have to research and think about this more.
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    I need a definition of "Holy Idea". Ergo, my request still stands.
    I take it to just mean the most comfortable or inviolable position people want to take.

I can see myself as a 6 actually.. maybe I should leave this thread. Heh

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Peacebaby, are you a 9? Was there something you were going to say as a 9 in reference to the purported Holy Idea of Holy Love being 9's thang? ...