• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 4] Fours Instinct Questionnaire

Silveresque

Since it turns out I'm actually a 4 now, I might as well make one for 4's. :D

1) What is your type (4w3 or 4w5) and instinctual variant, and how positive are you that your variant is accurate?

2) How would you describe your overall focus when alone versus in social situations? EDIT: What are you focused on/thinking about?

3) How would you describe your interaction style when in a group?

4) How would you describe your interaction style in one-on-one situations?

5) How well does this description of your variant fit you?

6) How did you decide on your variant? Was there anything that gave it away, or else made you change your mind from what you previously thought it was?

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
1) 4w3 very sure, SX - 100% sure, probably sx/sp but sx/so is still possible.

2) Alone I am inwardly focused, tend to spend alot of time in my head thinking about future goals, people, myself, life, just about anything. I am actually more moody with around others, dramatically affected by others energy.. so when I'm alone my emotions are far more level. Socially I am very extroverted, take on the traits of e3, naturally move into leader role even with friends, but I have a slightly more authentic bent, and can be very direct, open, and apt to say thing that others would't dream of.

3) Interaction in a group is confident, funny, engaging, charismatic, I don't miss a beat socially. I can do this for some time, but eventually do tire out and need to be alone in that e4 mode to re-charge.

4) One on one is very intense (sx), and when I am just getting to know someone it can be quite penetrating. This either makes people very happy because they feel I get them on a deeper level, or it makes them very uncomfortable because they are not ready to reveal the things I'm encouraging.

5) By these definitions I'd go with sx/so, but still find sx/sp very close.

6) I've tested sx every time I take the test, I have no doubt about that particular variant. I'd actually prefer to be sp or so.. so I don't think any of my ideals are jumbling the accuracy either.

B

brainheart

Since it turns out I'm actually a 4 now, I might as well make one for 4's. :D
it's cool. It's something some of us fours do ;)

1) What is your type (4w3 or 4w5) and instinctual variant, and how positive are you that your variant is accurate?
4w5; I thought I was a sx/sp, then sp/sx, then so/sx, and so forth. In other words, I don't know.

2) How would you describe your overall focus when alone versus in social situations?
It depends. Typically I'm perfectly happy to spend lots of time alone but it helps if I have a focus or I'm doing something different. I spend way too much time framing my experience vs actually living, usually. With others I can find myself doing this even more, but sometimes I can really get into being with people. Sometimes I'm very chatty. Sometimes I can't wait to be alone. I could very much see myself living alone in some little cottage in the wilderness someday, as long as I had a cat, but I know after awhile I'd really miss love, get lonely, but I'd also probably get a lot more writing done. Sometimes I feel more stable when I'm by myself and being around others makes me moody and overwhelmed. Sometimes it's the opposite. I feel like I am very inconsistent and unpredictable.

One on one, sometimes small groups is all right, better if I have no clue how to talk to a particular person. Then I can read or let my mind wander and the other people can talk. I feel like I'm usually the one ending conversations. I hate big groups, they make me very uncomfortable and self-conscious and mute.

Oh, I guess I already answered this.

The so/sx and sp/sx sound the most like me of any of them, although I relate to all of them to an extent.

6) How did you decide on your variant? Was there anything that gave it away, or else made you change your mind from what you previously thought it was?

I haven't ;) I feel like a total sx but sometimes I wonder if that's just the four talking. Sp for me seems all about setting. I love little old cottages and tree houses and house boats, places and things that others find old and worn- frayed books and chipped cups, peeled paint, hidden places that are cozy and have character. I love nature, being alone in nature, being in cool cities... Sx for me means head over heels infatuation, can't get enough of the person want to drink them in want it to last forever want to destroy it want nothing to do with it want to find a balance. So means self-consciousness and not fitting in but not caring but sort of caring how do other people do it can't handle all those eyes on me. How will I ever exist in the world I don't want to but my passions all have to do with expression so you need an audience, someone to read what you write.

Last edited:

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
4w5 sx/sp, i'm 90% this is right. i've considered 5, and have a really strong 5 wing, but relate more to 4 overall.

2) How would you describe your overall focus when alone versus in social situations?
i think i'm more focused on whatever i'm doing when i'm alone. i can get distracted more easily with people, because i ignore my needs or interests and adapt to the other people.
big groups i either pick a couple people to talk to, or end up zoning out and observing. unless i feel i have something good or important to say.
like i said before, i tend to adapt to whoever i'm with at the time, i have different ties with different people so i shift accordingly
pretty well, but sp/sx is a close second. probably because they talk about sx/sp 4's being the classic 4, and i think my heavy 5 wing makes me seem more sp-ish. in non-type specific descriptions i relate to sx above sp though.
i got it as a test result. even when i've gotten different enneagram types (i thought i was a 7w8 in high school), i've scored as sx/sp.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
4w5 sp/sx. I'm very sure of 4w5, a little fuzzy on the sp/sx part.

When alone, my focus tends to be within my inner world and satisfying my own basic needs... maintaining good health, making sure I am getting enough money to survive, and the like. In social situations, at first I seem a bit shy, but another part of me kind of pushes me to connect with others on a one-to-one level. It's kind of weird, but I tend to zone in on people when I am interacting with them.

In a group conversation, I tend to take the backseat and listen. But if I am in a public speaking setting, I tend to focus on a group of people within my field of view, and tend to struggle to maintain eye-contact with all members of the group.

I tend to zone in on the individual I am interacting with, but there is a clear degree of reserve and a feeling of distance when I don't know the person very well. Once I get to know them more, the focus is directed towards them, and I tend to latch onto people that I feel a profound connection with.

I think it fits well.

Basis of taking tests and seeing consistent results and also reading through descriptions of each instinctual types. Even though I test often as sp/so, I think that I am more sp/sx. Even though at first I may be very cautious to get involved with people on an intimate level, I really do prefer to interact with others at this level.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
4w5 sp/sx. I am quite sure of being sp-dom.

2) How would you describe your overall focus when alone versus in social situations? EDIT: What are you focused on/thinking about?
When I am alone, I don't think much about people as far as wondering about their lives & missing interaction with them. More so, I think about my interests & other various musings & daydreams. I may long for one close relationship & fantasize about it, and if I am in one, then I may think of that person more than I think of people in general.

When I am around people, I can unfortunately come across as aloof, snobby, & unfriendly or dull, timid & withdrawn. My focus can be on becoming/staying emotionally & physically comfortable, but that can include others' comfort as well. I tend to easily notice if someone or something is uncomfortable & often know how to fix it. Once that is in order, I usually prefer one-on-one conversation that delves into meatier matters, something that reveals their inner person, something we can bond over.

I'm also a massive loner & tend to go off & do my own thing without telling anyone. Maintaining my independence is hugely important to me.

I'm painfully oblivious to group dynamics & can fade into the walls in a group setting. If it's a small group I am very comfortable with, then I still tend to focus on one person at a time when I interact. Because I seek out one person at a time, it can come across as too intense, maybe even clingy. I just have a hard time addressing a group & finding a role among one. Honestly, groups feel shallow & tedious to me, so I may even be tuning them out.

If it's a project of sorts, I either back off & do as little as possible, especially if the responsibility will infringe on my freedom, or I inadvertently become the leader because I'm quick to come up with ideas & oblivious to the unspoken social rule that this pegs you as the leader.

I respond best to one-on-one conversations, and if comfortable with that person & engaged in the topic, then I can become intense & even animated. This either draws people in or weirds them out.

It fits me very well.

I read descriptions & sp/sx & sx/sp stood out, then I read more descriptions & decided sp was my dominant instinct. I usually test sp/sx also.

As for why it fits me.... I don't really define myself in terms of the group, can be oblivious to my role in one & its inner-workings, but I also am not threatened by groups so much as disinterested. Some so-dom are outside the group & often critical of it, but it seems to me they have an awareness & active aversion to the group, so that in effect it steers their behavior. My main instinct coming into a new situation is to get comfortable, emotionally & physically. I do have a great longing for intense connection & experience, but I will rarely risk my emotional safety for it, give up my independence for it, or compromise my comfort. I see sx-dom as leaving the comfort zone, taking the risks, giving themselves up to things, and also generally being more charming/magnetic to people. I come across pretty aloof & self-contained, and am easily distracted with my own needs over connecting with others.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some so-dom are outside the group & often critical of it, but it seems to me they have an awareness & active aversion to the group, so that in effect it steers their behavior.

Really? I might have to reconsider then...

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
4w5 so/sp. I'm all but totally certain about the type and fairly positive about the variant. Some descriptions of so are not that great, and when I do tend to doubt it, its usually after reading one of them. The strong 5 wing doesn't help either - it keeps pushing me toward thinking I must be sp.

When alone, I daydream a lot. I'm more relaxed and often more focused on more cerebral things because I don't really get to do that when around others. When I'm in social situations, I'm more self-conscious and anxious, so I want to find something or someone that makes me feel comfortable, to busy myself with. I'm trying to be pleasant, trying to talk about things other people like to talk about (but attempting to somehow make it interesting to me) and trying to not make a fool of myself.

It really does depend. For the most part I'm in one of two extremes: sitting there in complete silence looking withdrawn, awkward and absent-minded; or I'm loud, talkative, and jocular, maybe even taking over the direction of the conversation and social dynamics. I can also swing between the two modes out of the blue for seemingly no reason at all.

Strangely, neither mode is consistent with particular feelings. Sometimes I can be quite boisterous even though I'm feeling extremely awkward and anxious; and at other times I can be silent when I'm quite comfortable and relaxed. I don't really like either style though - I would prefer it if I could manage interaction in a normal, balanced manner but I'm just so painfully shy.

Again it depends. If I'm able to discuss a subject that interests me, or talk about anything in the way I like to talk about things, I can be quite engrossed. Most of the time, though, this isn't possible so I tend to converse in a small-talky sort of way; discussing things in a dispassionate, light-hearted, tick-the-boxes manner. Some people have accused me of holding them at arms length but most don't seem to care or notice. In fact, that's what most people want and that's why I do it. I sure as hell don't find it fun.

Its spot on. I'm very much a critic of the social mores and I think I'm pretty insightful when it comes to reading social interaction. I'm also very withdrawn, anti-social even - and I'm much more aware of, and self-conscious about, my inability to fit in than other Fours of different variants.

I read one description of so and it really hit home. I then read more about what it meant to be sp and saw how that didn't really fit with me. I also began to observe the differences between myself and other 4w5 sp members here, which were explained by aspects of the social variant (such as greater adaptability to social situations).

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I'm in social situations, I'm more self-conscious and anxious, so I want to find something or someone that makes me feel comfortable, to busy myself with. I'm trying to be pleasant, trying to talk about things other people like to talk about (but attempting to avoid boring myself to death at the same time) and trying to not make a fool of myself.

Umm... I do that I'm an Sx-dom. :laugh:

I'm also very withdrawn, anti-social even - and I'm much more aware of, and self-conscious about, my inability to fit in than other Fours (of different variants).

I also relate to this. I'm starting to wonder if I have So in my top-two stacking... :thinking:

Silveresque

It really does depend. For the most part I'm in one of two extremes: sitting there in complete silence looking withdrawn, awkward and absent-minded; or I'm loud, talkative, and jocular, maybe even taking over the direction of the conversation and social dynamics. I can also swing between the two modes out of the blue for seemingly no reason at all.

Strangely, neither mode is consistent with particular feelings. Sometimes I can be quite boisterous even though I'm feeling extremely awkward and anxious; and at other times I can be silent when I'm quite comfortable and relaxed. I don't really like either style though - I would prefer it if I could manage interaction in a normal, balanced manner but I'm just so painfully shy.

All of your answers fit me very well except for this one. I never get loud or take control of the conversation. Maybe I just haven't learned how to do that yet, or maybe I'm not an So-dom. But I do like your answer for number 4 especially, and it fits me perfectly. I couldn't have put it better myself.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Umm... I do that I'm an Sx-dom. :laugh:

I also relate to this. I'm starting to wonder if I have So in my top-two stacking... :thinking:
Maybe. Like I've said many times, they often write the so descriptions in ways that are extremely off-putting, especially to Fours. I'm sure many mistype because of it.

Fours with the social variant are more keenly aware the pressure to conform. This can make them hate social interaction and actively avoid it.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe. Like I've said many times, they often write the so descriptions in ways that are extremely off-putting, especially to Fours. I'm sure many mistype because of it.

Fours with the social variant are more keenly aware the pressure to conform. This can make them hate social interaction and actively avoid it.

Well, I do hate social obligations and conformity, so that does that say anything about my instinctual variant?

Silveresque

Well, I do hate social obligations and conformity, so that does that say anything about my instinctual variant?

I hate social obligations and conformity as well, but I still follow them because I don't feel like I have a whole lot of choice. I don't know if it really has a whole lot to do with your instinctual variant, especially if you're not a 4. It's only relevant to us because 4's are naturally inclined to be nonconformists, yet when paired with the social instinct it makes us feel more pressured to conform.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hate social obligations and conformity as well, but I still follow them because I don't feel like I have a whole lot of choice. I don't know if it really has a whole lot to do with your instinctual variant, especially if you're not a 4. It's only relevant to us because 4's are naturally inclined to be nonconformists, yet when paired with the social instinct it makes us feel more pressured to conform.

It's not like I rebel against conformity, I just don't conform if I don't agree with it. I do whatever I like, and I have no agenda to get people to see that I'm rebelling against conformity.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
All of your answers fit me very well except for this one. I never get loud or take control of the conversation. Maybe I just haven't learned how to do that yet, or maybe I'm not an So-dom. But I do like your answer for number 4 especially, and it fits me perfectly. I couldn't have put it better myself.
Oh, I wouldn't let the answer to 3 distract you; even I find this behaviour wacky. Mostly it happens when there's drinking involved or when I'm inclined to overcompensate for my anxiousness. I am quite talkative though, for such a very shy person.

It depends why you hate it. I hate it because I feel the immense pressure of it to be burdensome. It cripples my ability to be myself and say what I really think, because I'm so worried people will judge me. I've discovered 4w5 sps for example, dislike conformity but don't care as much what people think and are more inclined to be all, "this is me, get used to it".

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It depends why you hate it. I hate it because I feel the immense pressure of it to be burdensome. It cripples my ability to be myself and say what I really think, because I'm so worried people will judge me. I've discovered 4w5 sps for example, dislike conformity but don't care as much what people think and are more inclined to be all, "this is me, get used to it".

Interesting, interesting. I feel the same way. :p

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've discovered 4w5 sps for example, dislike conformity but don't care as much what people think and are more inclined to be all, "this is me, get used to it".

For me, it's more that I am oblivious to it. It's not that I don't ever care or worry what people think, it's that I often forget to care or worry. When I remember, it's too late & then I've already weirded people out or isolated myself. I certainly may feel resentment and/or mortification at that point, but I never seem to feel it enough to remember to be aware next time. My lack of awareness doesn't lead to saying/doing whatever I feel so much as not bothering to step outside my head, period.

Many times, I'm just too preoccupied with my own comforts so that I don't think about the impression I am making. I suppose that's a form of not caring, but the difference is that it's not really an active thought of "I don't care". It's more like a blind spot (which your last instinct usually amounts to).

Being shy, I have felt some inhibition due to self-consciousness & fear of judgment, but there's this simultaneous obliviousness where as long as I feel emotionally/physically secure & sure of my own independence, then I only lament it's hindrance with forming close bonds. I don't feel any resentment towards people as a whole for their expectations, but I do envy their individual relationships. This sums it up well, from the sp/sx 4 type: "They also start to envy the ease with which others seem to form relationships and maintain friendships."

I had a friend once accuse me of being unsociable to the point of avoiding people and being a snob, and it really surprised me, because I never felt I avoided people on purpose nor saw myself as above them. I felt like I just got lost in my own world & focused on my own needs & comforts. It was self-absorbed, but not judgmental towards others.

I would expect sx-doms to be more flamboyant about being who they are & not caring what people think because it's a way of drawing admiration to you at the same time & opening the way for some intense experience/connection with someone else.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
For me, it's more that I am oblivious to it. It's not that I don't ever care or worry what people think, it's that I often forget to care or worry. When I remember, it's too late & then I've already weirded people out or isolated myself. I certainly may feel resentment and/or mortification at that point, but I never seem to feel it enough to remember to be aware next time. My lack of awareness doesn't lead to saying/doing whatever I feel so much as not bothering to step outside my head, period.

Many times, I'm just too preoccupied with my own comforts so that I don't think about the impression I am making. I suppose that's a form of not caring, but the difference is that it's not really an active thought of "I don't care". It's more like a blind spot (which your last instinct usually amounts to).

Being shy, I have felt some inhibition due to self-consciousness & fear of judgment, but there's this simultaneous obliviousness where as long as I feel emotionally/physically secure & sure of my own independence, then I only lament it's hindrance with forming close bonds. I don't feel any resentment towards people as a whole for their expectations, but I do envy their individual relationships. This sums it up well, from the sp/sx 4 type: "They also start to envy the ease with which others seem to form relationships and maintain friendships."

I had a friend once accuse me of being unsociable to the point of avoiding people and being a snob, and it really surprised me, because I never felt I avoided people on purpose nor saw myself as above them. I felt like I just got lost in my own world & focused on my own needs & comforts. It was self-absorbed, but not judgmental towards others.
Yeah you're right. Its more that such things aren't on a sp's radar.

I hope you don't think I meant it in a bad way. I meant sps not caring in the sense that they aren't as bothered by what others think of them - its actually a quality I admire as you don't apologise for yourself. And I suppose if you aren't as aware of your how you're being perceived, you can't stress about it. Personally, sometimes I'd prefer not to notice so much. ;) But I suppose the down side of being so-last is that people's reactions and expectations must seem baffling and difficult to predict. You must feel you have less control over your self-image (for the lack of a better word) and how you're perceived by others.

I would expect sx-doms to be more flamboyant about being who they are & not caring what people think because it's a way of drawing admiration to you at the same time & opening the way for some intense experience/connection with someone else.
Yes, perhaps a 4 sx would advertise their 'uniqueness' and what separates them from the crowd. It could become more of a selling point, like with Lady Gaga for example (although I'm not sure whether she is considered a 4 or not).

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah you're right. Its more that such things aren't on a sp's radar.

I hope you don't think I meant it in a bad way.

Not at all, not at all.

I meant sps not caring in the sense that they aren't as bothered by what others think of them - its actually a quality I admire as you don't apologise for yourself. And I suppose if you aren't as aware of your how you're being perceived, you can't stress about it. Personally, sometimes I'd prefer not to notice so much. ;) But I suppose the down side of being so-last is that people's reactions and expectations must seem baffling and difficult to predict. You must feel you have less control over your self-image (for the lack of a better word) and how you're perceived by others.

Very much so. :yes:

Interestingly, I notice in the descriptions that the so/sp and sp/sx 4s seem to have the most disdain for social environments. For the sp/sx it's a blindspot issue, and for the so/sp, it's the preoccupation with it. The so/sx seems most at ease with the group (according to the descriptions), and the sx/sp seems the most dismissive.

B

brainheart

Now I really have no clue what my instinctual variant is, after reading all of that. I usually don't feel quite as socially aware as southern kross seems to be (although I related a lot with what he said, especially about acting unpredictably (and the drinking component), but I also avoid groups like the plague so I'm becoming pretty asocial, like I'm forgetting how to act. I come across to most as aloof and self-contained, but with those I'm comfortable with I can be very warm and talk a lot, I have to remember to converse, not dominate. But sometimes with those same people I barely talk at all.

Sometimes I can very much be the social critic. Sometimes I don't care and I'm completely oblivious- I can very much be how orange said about being really intense with particular people, and also the whole issue with not getting how others manage relationships/acquire friends with such ease. I've lost friends over the years due to apparently not handling things correctly, of which at the time I was totally unaware. I completely forget to call my parents, my siblings- it's often as if people disappear if they're not in the same room as me- that is unless I'm infatuated with someone and then they are constantly very present.
I also really dislike being uncomfortable, that seems like an sp thing.
I do know that I hate being thrust into a crew of people without being notified that's going to happen first. It throws me into a panic. I feel like I need to prepare first, get my game face on or something.