User Tag List

12 Last

Default 1's, how do you get yourself to relax and have fun?

It seems, I have the hardest time telling myself to just RELAX and have fun. Sometimes to the point that others have to tell me that I have to relax and have fun or that I notice I'm being strict and rigid. A lot of times, it means repressing a lot of my impulses.
    Last edited by Patches; 07-06-2012 at 09:25 PM.

MBTI
    EnfJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Get your life and house in order and plan some fun activities in advance?
    Extroverted (E) 67.74% Introverted (I) 32.26%
    Intuitive (N) 51.72% Sensing (S) 48.28%
    Feeling (F) 51.61% Thinking (T) 48.39%
    Judging (J) 69.44% Perceiving (P) 30.56%

Type 1 Perfectionism |||||||||||||||||||| 83%
    so/sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

For me, I have to block off time to relax. Otherwise, I'd start jumping on to the next project.

It's pretty ironic to schedule relaxation, isn't it? But it helps if you tell yourself that you'll be improving nothing and no one by working yourself to death.
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I usually have a back lot of pressing tasks which keep me anxious. I can almost never relax if I don't first clear several of them out of the way. I know more will eventually come, but as long as there are none known it allows my mind to rest a little bit.

I usually have to anticipate relaxation, too. This either means scheduling it or more often in my case observing when it has practically been scheduled for me. That way I can take a breather but tell myself that I'm not suddenly interrupting responsibility or that I'll let it stretch out indefinitely.

Even in spite of this, it is really hard for me to relax without someone else's help, and it usually can't be anyone. I'd get very stressed in class, and my English professor in particular was impressively good at calming me down. It's very hard to convince myself that things aren't on my shoulders to deal with, or that they'll turn out all right, or that there's nothing wrong with me if I don't succeed. I really need someone I feel safe with to tell me that before I'll believe it.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

brainheart

Wow, this sounds rough. Although I guess my mind is always working; it doesn't relax so much. But it's not stress so much as... Well, I had this vision of my brain being a rubik's cube that I'm constantly fiddling with, moving around. I get a row, get excited, but then I see I have to take apart the row to get anything else so I'm always going back, reconfiguring.

So I guess this is similar to the one, but you have to get your brain AND body to relax and have fun, huh- is that right?

MBTI
    EnfJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII

well and I think relaxing things are the things where my mind is engaged so that it is quiet from planning and thinking but more engaged in a fun book or intuitive project for me. that is a positive form of relaxation even though it doesn't look relaxing to some people. also sleep! nothing shuts the brain down like hard sleep after you have run yourself ragged mentally
    Extroverted (E) 67.74% Introverted (I) 32.26%
    Intuitive (N) 51.72% Sensing (S) 48.28%
    Feeling (F) 51.61% Thinking (T) 48.39%
    Judging (J) 69.44% Perceiving (P) 30.56%

Type 1 Perfectionism |||||||||||||||||||| 83%
    so/sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by mujigay View Post
    For me, I have to block off time to relaxed. Otherwise, I'd start jumping on to the next project.

It's pretty ironic to schedule relaxation, isn't it? But it helps if you tell yourself that you'll be improving nothing and no one by working yourself to death.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I usually have a back lot of pressing tasks which keep me anxious. I can almost never relax if I don't first clear several of them out of the way. I know more will eventually come, but as long as there are none known it allows my mind to rest a little bit.

I usually have to anticipate relaxation, too. This either means scheduling it or more often in my case observing when it has practically been scheduled for me. That way I can take a breather but tell myself that I'm not suddenly interrupting responsibility or that I'll let it stretch out indefinitely.

Even in spite of this, it is really hard for me to relax without someone else's help, and it usually can't be anyone. I'd get very stressed in class, and my English professor in particular was impressively good at calming me down. It's very hard to convince myself that things aren't on my shoulders to deal with, or that they'll turn out all right, or that there's nothing wrong with me if I don't succeed. I really need someone I feel safe with to tell me that before I'll believe it.
    This is what comes to mind. I just feel like I am lazing around when relaxed when I feel that I should be working on "x". It is only when I don't have too much to do that I actually can relax.

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    Wow, this sounds rough. Although I guess my mind is always working; it doesn't relax so much. But it's not stress so much as... Well, I had this vision of my brain being a rubik's cube that I'm constantly fiddling with, moving around. I get a row, get excited, but then I see I have to take apart the row to get anything else so I'm always going back, reconfiguring.

So I guess this is similar to the one, but you have to get your brain AND body to relax and have fun, huh- is that right?
    My mind is like a Rubik's cube with a timer when there are things I need to do. I have to align the Rubik's cube before the timer runs out. If I stand idle for too long, the closer the timer is to 0. Once I am done, I have to move on to the next Rubik's cube with that same timer. At least, putting aside for the fact that there is a method to solving the Rubik's cube.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC View Post
    well and I think relaxing things are the things where my mind is engaged so that it is quiet from planning and thinking but more engaged in a fun book or intuitive project for me. that is a positive form of relaxation even though it doesn't look relaxing to some people. also sleep! nothing shuts the brain down like hard sleep after you have run yourself ragged mentally
    The funny thing is, sleep is sometimes one of those things keeping me up all night.
    Sometimes, when I need to do something in the near future, my mind will wonder about that for the night.

But yes, relaxation for me is something that I like doing, even though it may/may not require some work or thinking.

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Rave View Post
    My mind is like a Rubik's cube with a timer when there are things I need to do. I have to align the Rubik's cube before the timer runs out. If I stand idle for too long, the closer the timer is to 0. Once I am done, I have to move on to the next Rubik's cube with that same timer. At least, putting aside for the fact that there is a method to solving the Rubik's cube. .
    Wow, an internal timer that is actually paid attention to... I can't even imagine.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I find myself taking my "leisure" time so seriously that it's not even really relaxing.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud of Thunder View Post
    I find myself taking my "leisure" time so seriously that it's not even really relaxing.
    This, to some extent.

Also, many of the things I choose to do in my leisure time aren't exactly relaxing in the typical sense anyway... looking for rare birds and birdwatching in general, photography, looking for bones/fossils. Relaxing does not necessarily equal fun for me, and vice versa. I don't like being idle in that respect (and I don't mean just physically... even if I'm just reading or drawing I'm constantly thinking or rearranging things internally or what have you). I don't think I could truly clear my mind and "relax" even if I wanted to, but that's probably the result of Ni just as much as being a 1.