• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 5] Fives Instinct Questionnaire

Silveresque

Well, I'm questioning my variant, once again. :unsure: The thing is, I don't know if I can know which variant fits me best without having clear examples of how other 5's of the same variant think and act in various situations. I'm sure other people have had the same difficulties, so I've decided to make a questionnaire:

1) What is your type (5w4 or 5w6) and instinctual variant, and how positive are you that your variant is accurate?

2) How would you describe your overall focus when alone versus in social situations?

3) How would you describe your interaction style when in a group?

4) How would you describe your interaction style in one-on-one situations?

5) How well does this description of your variant fit you?

6) How did you decide on your variant? Was there anything that gave it away, or else made you change your mind from what you previously thought it was?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1) What is your type (5w4 or 5w6) and instinctual variant, and how positive are you that your variant is accurate?

5w4. 100% sure on type 5. Am assuming I am a w4 but haven't dug deep enough, honestly, to say I'm totally certain. Instinctual variant = sp/so. I am positive I'm sp-dom. I am pretty sure I'm sp/so given the fact that I relate pretty well to other self-proclaimed sp/so's on the site, and just feel I lack the 'edge'/vulnerability/emotional rawness (or at least, easy and natural accessibility to that) of sp/sx's.

2) How would you describe your overall focus when alone versus in social situations?
I don't know about 'focus' when alone? lol. I'm either doing an activity on my own and focusing on that activity, or am wholly in my head thinking about things. Sometimes both - if not totally immersed in the activity, then my mind might be doing its own thing while doing the activity. Group info below.

When in a group I listen. My 'role' is typically to be a lump and to feel very anxious about being in the group because as an introvert I prefer 1:1, and when part of a group I'm hyper-aware of who seems to be uncomfortable in the group or who possibly took offense, and then I am uncomfortable or feel the 'group' is 'off' because that one person isn't enjoying himself. Sometimes it doesn't affect me all that much. This is a real fuzzy line between whether this is so or whether it's simply Fe.

I'm also often uncomfortable when I sense I have nothing to contribute to the discussion / am bored with the discussion, and then I tend to obsess over why I am there at all and I feel totally weird and inept. But if I am really into the discussion, and/or with close friends I am comfortable with, I am not anxious and I have no problem joining in or adding a comment.

I never go into monologues while in a group, though. I insert comments, or ask questions, and then the other people tend to be the ones who dominate.

Listener and question-asker. I'm not one to talk about myself and I need others to ask questions of me/show interest in something specific and then I will share. Sometimes though I'll share spontaneously - I'm trying to get better about doing this.

I'd say reasonably accurate, with the exception that with a romantic partner it's not quite the same, and I really do want and am able to spend a lot of quality time with him. But, that said, I can easily go two days without seeing him or talking on the phone, just emailing, so I'm probably a lot more 'solo' than most people are in relationships.

6) How did you decide on your variant? Was there anything that gave it away, or else made you change your mind from what you previously thought it was?

Primarily because I tend to see a distinct difference between myself and sx-doms on the forum, such that it makes no sense that I'd be sx-dom, and not a whole lot of sense that I'd be even sx-aux. I think I'm much more distanced and reserved, and while I consider myself very open about ideas and sharing thoughts and such, I've never been open at all about discussing emotions/raw feelings, or even necessarily being willing to share them, and have never easily conveyed those more turbulent, confused, non-fluffy ones (it's never flowed out of me spontaneously.. I need to get to a point where I can't deal with them any more, need to release a little, and then it's a painful rather stuttering choking process of talking about what's going on. Very very delayed, after a lot of thought and inability to resolve on my own. ).

I also don't think my good friendships are as... 'intense'... as that of sp/sx's. I think my idea of a close friendship is of a different nature than that of sp/sx... I'm ok not sharing all of my feelings and everything going on in my personal life.. I'm more just about talking about concepts and ideas and what's going on, but I don't really have a need / natural inclination to talk about my own problems or emotions. To be clear I have no problem hearing others talk about what they're going through, and I enjoy trying to help them, but I can't say I output the same level in return. But it IS paramount to me that I'm able to talk about my own issues to my trusted partners/friends, and show that vulnerability, if I need to. It's just very uncommon fr me to need to. It's all very much done in my own head. I'm always trying to get better at sharing these sorts of things, but my point is that it's not really natural for me.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Well, I'm questioning my variant, once again. :unsure: The thing is, I don't know if I can know which variant fits me best without having clear examples of how other 5's of the same variant think and act in various situations. I'm sure other people have had the same difficulties, so I've decided to make a questionnaire:

5w6 sx/sp. At times I think I could be sx/so, but such thoughts are infrequent. I'd say I'm about 75% sure.

I'm not sure I entirely understand what you mean by my "focus" but when I'm alone I'm naturally focused on the self an when in a social situation I'm typically fighting against boredom and looking for some kind of entertainment.

In a group, I'm largely an observer and enjoy a more auxiliary role in the group dynamic. Very little direction, but more going with the ebb and flow of conversation and humour, unless it's not to my liking and I'll just leave or isolate myself.

Attentive, uninhibited, probing, eager to explore a heavy concept and unlock the mind of the person I'm conversing with. I have a compulsion to discover everything someone knows and is, my avarice for total information about a person.

Very well, they highlight the difficulty with a fluctuating desire for space and for indulging pleasant connections, which is what is most apparent to me and something that's incredibly hard to regulate and explain. The explaining is the tough part, because as someone who tries to be consistent, the inherent inconsistency of this seesaw of desires can probably leave the other person somewhat confused and can also make my attention appear superficial.

For me, I settled begrudgingly on sx first because I thought it explained my interactions not only with others, but with myself, the best. I experience sx dominance as a primal hunger for the natural fixation of the 5; I crave information and understanding about others that interest me, I am consumed by my own interests in certain topics and I can very nearly lose myself as I indulge in the connections I have between others. Sx dominance is very much characterized by its desire to indulge in extremes for me. All or nothing.

I think it's hard for 5s to separate some of the naturally sp elements of the type from the instinct. If sx is a matter/antimatter annihilation, sp is a stable atom. Controlled, collected, managed, clear boundaries, the rock. If only!

Within

Permabanned
5w6 Sp/So, I am completely sure about it.

If I am interpreting you correctly I would say that I am a lot more focused when I am alone. Although in a different way compared to social settings, when I am alone I am often introspecting in comparison to keeping my head in the present and current happenings.
Secondly, when I am in a crowd of people that I don't know that well. I am stuck in a hyper vigilant mode. In this setting and for most of the time, I am very aware of what I am doing and how I am acting. My thoughts are peeled on what's going on in the close proximity of were I am, and what other people are up to.
I tend to find it most difficult to be focused when I am in a group of people that I know well (several years+). I am more in tune to the general feeling of the crowd and less self-oriented. During these conditions I can be thrown off by others and sometimes I even act or say things without properly considering the impact it might have on the situation as well as the way others impression of me might change.

Passive and reflective for most instances. I rarely take steps to interact unless I have something vital to lift or someone is giving me obvious signs that they want to hear me out. When that does occur I am often secure in the moment and cut straight to the point in what I believe to be perceived as a self-confident manner. I am usually polite and friendly, however I can drop the room temperature in an instance by charging my sphere with anger and hate. That rarely happen.

Often less relaxed than when I sit in a crowd of people. The intimate feeling it gives me can be quite awkward at times. I listen and talk equally when with a friend, I don't talk as much when I am with a acquaintance.

Very well, especially how it points out the inherit need for others to be punctual. Slackers rub me the wrong way.
The only thing that I don't agree with is the "warm, friendly, and loyal" sentence. Loyal yes, I am extremely loyal to the people that I consider my friends. But I don't come of as warm and friendly. I've noticed that people who don't know me think that I am, well many different things, warm and friendly is not what comes to mind.

When I first discovered MBTI I was intrigued. I took a wide variety of different questioners and dug into my own typology rather deep. I determined my enneagram and instinctual variant the same way. By taking into account the outcome of tests that I considered good, as well as reading descriptions about the types and matching them to how I think and act.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
less relaxed than when I sit in a crowd of people. The intimate feeling it gives me can be quite awkward at times. I listen and talk equally when with a friend, I don't talk as much when I am with a acquaintance.

What?!? When I'm trying to talk to someone one-to-one in a crowded area, I get very uncomfortable and I just want to talk to them in a private area. In situations that I can, I'm like, "Yessss! What a relief!" I mean, I feel uncomfortable being in a crowd period. I just try to blend in and not go noticed, and if possible, find someone I know. In fact, I always think of myself as a shy person (I am), but I'm WAY less shy in a one-to-one situation. Once I'm out of the group setting, I feel relieved because I feel like I'm pressured in a group and like they're all staring at me if they acknowledge me. It's just far better to be with one individual at a time.

Within

Permabanned
What?!? When I'm trying to talk to someone one-to-one in a crowded area, I get very uncomfortable and I just want to talk to them in a private area. In situations that I can, I'm like, "Yessss! What a relief!" I mean, I feel uncomfortable being in a crowd period. I just try to blend in and not go noticed, and if possible, find someone I know. In fact, I always think of myself as a shy person (I am), but I'm WAY less shy in a one-to-one situation. Once I'm out of the group setting, I feel relieved because I feel like I'm pressured in a group and like they're all staring at me if they acknowledge me. It's just far better to be with one individual at a time.

You misunderstood me, what I was trying to say is that I prefer to hang out with a group of friends rather than just the one. The smaller the group is the more expectations get put on you to interact and lead the conversation, so no I'm not big on leading. I agree with what you said though, crowds of people ain't my thing either. Too much effort gets directed to keeping an eye on things and not the discussion at hand.

Silveresque

Great posts, everyone! Thanks for the participation. :D

Secondly, when I am in a crowd of people that I don't know that well. I am stuck in a hyper vigilant mode. In this setting and for most of the time, I am very aware of what I am doing and how I am acting. My thoughts are peeled on what's going on in the close proximity of were I am, and what other people are up to.
I tend to find it most difficult to be focused when I am in a group of people that I know well (several years+). I am more in tune to the general feeling of the crowd and less self-oriented. During these conditions I can be thrown off by others and sometimes I even act or say things without properly considering the impact it might have on the situation as well as the way others impression of me might change.

I can relate to being hyper vigilant about how I am acting, but I can't relate to being focused on the feeling of the group.

Often less relaxed than when I sit in a crowd of people. The intimate feeling it gives me can be quite awkward at times. I listen and talk equally when with a friend, I don't talk as much when I am with a acquaintance.

Really? I feel much more relaxed in one-on-one situations.

In a group, I'm largely an observer and enjoy a more auxiliary role in the group dynamic. Very little direction, but more going with the ebb and flow of conversation and humour, unless it's not to my liking and I'll just leave or isolate myself.

Yeah, that sounds like how I am. I mostly listen and occasionally try to contribute, but if it's not a topic where I can do that I just feel awkward and want to leave.

Attentive, uninhibited, probing, eager to explore a heavy concept and unlock the mind of the person I'm conversing with. I have a compulsion to discover everything someone knows and is, my avarice for total information about a person....

....For me, I settled begrudgingly on sx first because I thought it explained my interactions not only with others, but with myself, the best. I experience sx dominance as a primal hunger for the natural fixation of the 5; I crave information and understanding about others that interest me, I am consumed by my own interests in certain topics and I can very nearly lose myself as I indulge in the connections I have between others. Sx dominance is very much characterized by its desire to indulge in extremes for me. All or nothing.

Interesting, so that's what Sx is like in a 5. Well, I can't really relate to that. When I talk to a friend, it's not because I want to learn everything about that person, but more because I want to maintain the friendship and try my best not to seem socially awkward.

When in a group I listen. My 'role' is typically to be a lump and to feel very anxious about being in the group because as an introvert I prefer 1:1, and when part of a group I'm hyper-aware of who seems to be uncomfortable in the group or who possibly took offense, and then I am uncomfortable or feel the 'group' is 'off' because that one person isn't enjoying himself. Sometimes it doesn't affect me all that much. This is a real fuzzy line between whether this is so or whether it's simply Fe.

I don't really notice stuff like that. I seem to be kind of off in my own little world when I'm in a group. But I'm also very aware of my not fitting in, which is why I suspected I was So first.

I'm also often uncomfortable when I sense I have nothing to contribute to the discussion / am bored with the discussion, and then I tend to obsess over why I am there at all and I feel totally weird and inept. But if I am really into the discussion, and/or with close friends I am comfortable with, I am not anxious and I have no problem joining in or adding a comment.

I never go into monologues while in a group, though. I insert comments, or ask questions, and then the other people tend to be the ones who dominate.

This is exactly how I am.

Listener and question-asker. I'm not one to talk about myself and I need others to ask questions of me/show interest in something specific and then I will share. Sometimes though I'll share spontaneously - I'm trying to get better about doing this.

Sounds like me. :yes:

I also don't think my good friendships are as... 'intense'... as that of sp/sx's. I think my idea of a close friendship is of a different nature than that of sp/sx... I'm ok not sharing all of my feelings and everything going on in my personal life.. I'm more just about talking about concepts and ideas and what's going on, but I don't really have a need / natural inclination to talk about my own problems or emotions. To be clear I have no problem hearing others talk about what they're going through, and I enjoy trying to help them, but I can't say I output the same level in return. But it IS paramount to me that I'm able to talk about my own issues to my trusted partners/friends, and show that vulnerability, if I need to. It's just very uncommon fr me to need to. It's all very much done in my own head. I'm always trying to get better at sharing these sorts of things, but my point is that it's not really natural for me.

Right on again.

I'm the same way. :yes:

Well anyways, I seem to be less group-oriented than Within and Cascadeco. Maybe I'm an Sp/So...I don't know. :shrug:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

5/4 sp/so. Aren't they all sp/so?

At the last party I attended, after an hour or so I was so mentally tired I had to sidle off somewhere by myself.

I don't know what "interaction" style is. One person at a time, I guess. In groups of three or more I fade into the background.

If I'm understanding this correctly, I prefer an even trade-off of conversation. If the other person does all the talking, I lose interest.

I guess.

I tested for my variant. Does it surprise anybody that a type 5 comes out as Sp?

G

Glycerine

5w6 SP/SO, I am really convinced.... like 95%

Alone, I am very focused esp. if I am researching that interests me. Social situations, it really depends on what it is. I can stay engaged if people really need me to be but if I find it pointless or I don't think I have much to add, I sink back into my mind.

Watch from the sidelines, don't say much but if I get really get nervous, I end up saying really stupid things. It takes awhile for me to warm up to people.

I am much more comfortable with one on one interactions because I am able to better gauge where the person is coming from. Much of the time, I am doing a full on analysis of the person.... picking up on quirks and general demeanor for future interactions with the person. :blush:

4)5) How well does this description of your variant fit you?
decent

4)6) How did you decide on your variant? Was there anything that gave it away, or else made you change your mind from what you previously thought it was?

I thought I craved deep connections with others but history has shown otherwise so that meant SX was last. Next, most things about my life has been about being in a self-protective shell to the detriment of not reaching out to others. so that meant SP was first. I have been known to be fairly likeable and friendly but end up dropping off the face of the planet after awhile.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am much more comfortable with one on one interactions because I am able to better gauge where the person is coming from. Much of the time, I am doing a full on analysis of the person.... picking up on quirks and general demeanor for future interactions with the person. :blush:

Wait... I thought one-to-one preference was an Sx thing? o_O

VagrantFarce

Wait... I thought one-to-one preference was an Sx thing? o_O

I've never felt that was a good indicator of anything on its own. A lot of people find talking in group settings stressful and prefer to talk to people one at a time - doesn't mean they have a dominant sexual instinct, they're just nervous with more than one set of eyes on them.

A dominant sexual instinct leads to an inflated preoccupation with things like intimacy, allure, "merging", significant others - if you don't have that inflated preoccupation in your everyday life, you don't have a dominant sexual instinct. See how easy this is once you wipe away all the bullshit?

G

Glycerine

Also, it can be rather difficult to focus on and observe 10 different people in a room as opposed to one. I view it as information overload trying to observe the dynamics between multiple people for too long. That's why I am SP/SO not SX.

Silveresque

Well, I think I can rule out Sx for my variant. That makes me either So/Sp or Sp/So. I relate a lot to the Sp/So's, so that's probably my variant, but I'd like to see some responses from So/Sp's as well, if there are any.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A dominant sexual instinct leads to an inflated preoccupation with things like intimacy

Well, this is hard to say. I've always longed for an intimate, romantic relationship with a lovely girl, but I've never experienced what it really is and I can't say for sure that that is what I'm looking for. I think it sounds nice, though.

Wait, allure in oneself, or allure in others? Because while I do care about how I come across and look to others, I don't do too much to make myself particularly attractive. I do appreciate beauty very much though, if that has anything to do with that, haha.

"merging"

What do you mean by this?

significant others

Most definitely. I value that, and good friendships, more than anything else in life.

f you don't have that inflated preoccupation in your everyday life, you don't have a dominant sexual instinct. See how easy this is once you wipe away all the bullshit?

Is what I told you a sufficient indicator of whether I am Sx type or not?

VagrantFarce

Wait, allure in oneself, or allure in others? Because while I do care about how I come across and look to others, I don't do too much to make myself particularly attractive. I do appreciate beauty very much though, if that has anything to do with that, haha.

Allure as in being attractive, sexy etc. The peacock revealing its feathers.

What do you mean by this?

Merging with another person, the second half of a whole.

Is what I told you a sufficient indicator of whether I am Sx type or not?

If you don't know, then I certainly won't! What are you preoccupied with?

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Allure as in being attractive, sexy etc. The peacock revealing its feathers.

So what does what I told you indicate in that regard?

Merging with another person, the second half of a whole.

Yeah, I know, but what does that mean exactly? I'm more of a literal person and can't see underlying meaning very well. Do you mean just being with a significant other?

If you don't know, then I certainly won't! What are you preoccupied with?

I am preoccupied with daydreaming of being with my dream girl, being and talking with my buddies/friends, looking into and doing things that interest me, and other monotonous details in the day.

VagrantFarce

So what does what I told you indicate in that regard?

Lol, I don't see much - how big are your feathers? :D

Yeah, I know, but what does that mean exactly? I'm more of a literal person and can't see underlying meaning very well. Do you mean just being with a significant other?

No, not just "being" with another person - as in the two of you becoming one, forming a union - "soul mates" etc. If you can't understand it on that level, then I don't know what else to say - listen to a few love songs for god's sake. :p

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lol, I don't see much - how big are your feathers? :D

I take that as a no?

No, not just "being" with another person - as in the two of you becoming one, forming a union - "soul mates" etc. If you can't understand it on that level, then I don't know what else to say - listen to a few love songs for god's sake. :p

You mean like when two people fall in love? That's essentially what I was meaning.

G

Glycerine

"Merging" as in wanting deep connections with others... like desiring to be on the same wavelength, building rapport with others... it's not necessarily just romantic relationships but relationships in general.

Silveresque

I don't think you have to be an Sx to have the desire for merging, intimacy, and finding your soul mate. I very much want those things, yet I'm fairly certain I'm Sx last. I decided that because I when I talk with my friends, I don't really approach it like an Sx would by trying to find out everything about that person and exchange intimate secrets. I mostly do it to be friendly and maintain relationships. I think that is the one of the main differences between Sx and So.