User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 68

  1. #31
    jump sleuthiness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    1,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    Really? I'm the same type and variant as that person, yet I'm not stingy with my resources at all. I like sharing--in fact, about the only thing I wouldn't share is my computer. I wonder if stinginess really has anything to do with your instinctual variant.
    Absolutely. Also don't think you're a self pres. dominant now.

    thinking of you

  2. #32
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,989

    Default

    If you want superficial materialism, look for example to the type 8 Sp-dom. The type 8 has enough, has more than enough, maybe even wayyyyyy more than enough. But to the type 8 Sp, it is NEVER enough. So it is necessary to think about how this Sp instinct is filtered through the enneatype. Compared to the type 5, who also has a quest to find more and more, because it really doesn't exist. And then there is the possibility that, underneath it all, some subconscious drive is intent on maintaining this constant state of penuriousness which acts on instinct.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  3. #33
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    Hmmm...I don't feel resourceless. I have all the things I need. I wonder if this could indicate Sp second rather than Sp first?
    I'm not saying it's linked to not having all the things you need. Compare with the type 8 Sp, who has everything he'll ever need and then some, but still feels resourceless, and this irrational feeling drives the materialistic urge to surround himself with more and more and more stuff. I think that a type 5 Sp who really does have enough will simply find a way, subconsciously, to self-sabotage.

    I am suddenly reminded of a friend I used to chat with online for years. He was a classic 5w6 nerd making 100k/year as a programmer. But he had a penchant for getting in trouble with women - either through sexual harassment lawsuit or divorce - and then being fleeced out of $10 grand or his nice car. Last I heard he had gone in for some therapy.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  4. #34
    Senior Member Silveresque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    I'm not saying it's linked to not having all the things you need. Compare with the type 8 Sp, who has everything he'll ever need and then some, but still feels resourceless, and this irrational feeling drives the materialistic urge to surround himself with more and more and more stuff. I think that a type 5 Sp who really does have enough will simply find a way, subconsciously, to self-sabotage.

    I am suddenly reminded of a friend I used to chat with online for years. He was a classic 5w6 nerd making 100k/year as a programmer. But he had a penchant for getting in trouble with women - either through sexual harassment lawsuit or divorce - and then being fleeced out of $10 grand or his nice car. Last I heard he had gone in for some therapy.
    Interesting. Maybe I'm not an Sp then. Come to think of it, every year when my parents would ask me what I wanted for Christmas, I always had trouble coming up with things. I just don't need so much stuff. I'm perfectly content with what I have, and most of the time I can't even think of anything more that I want. The things I want are rarely material things.

  5. #35
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    Interesting. Maybe I'm not an Sp then. Come to think of it, every year when my parents would ask me what I wanted for Christmas, I always had trouble coming up with things. I just don't need so much stuff. I'm perfectly content with what I have, and most of the time I can't even think of anything more that I want. The things I want are rarely material things.
    I feel the same way about things. I know people of other types don't care for the idea of more and more. What's it for? But that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to try being rich just for a day.

    Mickey Rourke in the movie Barfly, playing the life of a real-life poet, sold a piece of poetry to a magazine for $500, and then blew the entire wad in his favorite bar so he could get back to his normal, meaning, penniless position in life. He also threw away a chance to live in luxury with the magazine owner, calling it a cage with golden bars which stifled his creative impulse. Rourke was playing a 4w3 Sp-dom.

    Or maybe not.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  6. #36
    Senior Member Silveresque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    I feel the same way about things. I know people of other types don't care for the idea of more and more. What's it for? But that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to try being rich just for a day.

    Mickey Rourke in the movie Barfly, playing the life of a real-life poet, sold a piece of poetry to a magazine for $500, and then blew the entire wad in his favorite bar so he could get back to his normal, meaning, penniless position in life. He also threw away a chance to live in luxury with the magazine owner, calling it a cage with golden bars which stifled his creative impulse. Rourke was playing a 4w3 Sp-dom.
    Well, I wouldn't mind being rich either. It sounds like a pretty nice deal, though I think anyone would say the same, regardless of their variant. I can't relate to the second part, though. I'm a saver. I would never blow my money like that. Though I think a good part of the reason why I'm a saver is that there isn't really a whole lot I want to spend my money on. The other part of it is that it's good to be financially secure and have money for when you need it.

  7. #37
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    Well, I wouldn't mind being rich either. It sounds like a pretty nice deal, though I think anyone would say the same, regardless of their variant. I can't relate to the second part, though. I'm a saver. I would never blow my money like that. Though I think a good part of the reason why I'm a saver is that there isn't really a whole lot I want to spend my money on. The other part of it is that it's good to be financially secure and have money for when you need it.
    Note the edit at the end of my last post. Is the character an Sp-dom? He's more like an Sx. He's not playing a 5 anyway.

    It's difficult for me to save money with my family's ever-present needs.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  8. #38
    brainheart
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    5w6 sx/sp. At times I think I could be sx/so, but such thoughts are infrequent. I'd say I'm about 75% sure.



    I'm not sure I entirely understand what you mean by my "focus" but when I'm alone I'm naturally focused on the self an when in a social situation I'm typically fighting against boredom and looking for some kind of entertainment.



    In a group, I'm largely an observer and enjoy a more auxiliary role in the group dynamic. Very little direction, but more going with the ebb and flow of conversation and humour, unless it's not to my liking and I'll just leave or isolate myself.



    Attentive, uninhibited, probing, eager to explore a heavy concept and unlock the mind of the person I'm conversing with. I have a compulsion to discover everything someone knows and is, my avarice for total information about a person.



    Very well, they highlight the difficulty with a fluctuating desire for space and for indulging pleasant connections, which is what is most apparent to me and something that's incredibly hard to regulate and explain. The explaining is the tough part, because as someone who tries to be consistent, the inherent inconsistency of this seesaw of desires can probably leave the other person somewhat confused and can also make my attention appear superficial.




    For me, I settled begrudgingly on sx first because I thought it explained my interactions not only with others, but with myself, the best. I experience sx dominance as a primal hunger for the natural fixation of the 5; I crave information and understanding about others that interest me, I am consumed by my own interests in certain topics and I can very nearly lose myself as I indulge in the connections I have between others. Sx dominance is very much characterized by its desire to indulge in extremes for me. All or nothing.

    I think it's hard for 5s to separate some of the naturally sp elements of the type from the instinct. If sx is a matter/antimatter annihilation, sp is a stable atom. Controlled, collected, managed, clear boundaries, the rock. If only!
    This sounds A LOT like me.

  9. #39
    Senior Member Vizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    229

    Default

    Socialising or belonging in a group not something that bothers me or has a big impact on the way I act. Of course, I like to be pleasant and all but I just don't feel the need to "fit in" as much as others do, nor is hanging out with mates something I really care for. (Of course, feeling invisible sucks for anybody.)

    I think I'm an Sp-dom, but I'm NOT materialistic or superficial. Quite the opposite, really. I never ask for presents (no matter the occasion) or value material things over people. Aargh, is that what Sp's are thought to be like?
    I have a strong desire to "go it alone" rather than relying on people but that doesn't mean I replace humans with objects, clothing and other material things that So-dom and Sx-dom people could just as well be addicted to...if not more. I can imagine So people being materialistic in order to fit in with others or to look part of some group in society.
    5w4
    Reserved RCUEI

  10. #40
    4x9 cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp
    Posts
    6,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vizzy View Post
    I think I'm an Sp-dom, but I'm NOT materialistic or superficial. Quite the opposite, really. I never ask for presents (no matter the occasion) or value material things over people. Aargh, is that what Sp's are thought to be like?
    I have a strong desire to "go it alone" rather than relying on people but that doesn't mean I replace humans with objects, clothing and other material things that So-dom and Sx-dom people could just as well be addicted to...if not more. I can imagine So people being materialistic in order to fit in with others or to look part of some group in society.
    +1 I think any instinct can be materialistic, it's just perhaps different motivations behind why the materialism is a strong urge. Diff. instincts will have diff. reasons for wanting more stuff.

    ---------------------

    As for myself, while I like having a nice place to live and having aesthetics/surroundings that I like and that are decent quality, I hate the idea of accumulating, I am not someone who buys 'stuff' as a general rule, I am extremely against the whole 'keeping up with the jones'' concept, I tend to value experiences (travel, activities) more than things when it comes to spending money, and I am a saver.

    However, yeah, I might be stingy with sharing my stuff because I don't trust the other person (don't think it will be returned, think it will be returned in worse condition than it started, think the other person's just taking advantage and simply not wanting to pay for or put in the work/effort that I paid for/worked for..lol.. stuff like that). I tend not to be a very generous person when it comes to tangible things. Heck, now that I think about it, even helping people with, say, homework. In jr. high/high school I really resented that and didn't want to give anyone any answers. haha! I realize that says a lot about me.

    I'm not at all implying this will resonate with other sp's, or even has anything to do with sp, but this is just another aspect of myself.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Similar Threads

  1. [E4] Fours Instinct Questionnaire
    By Silveresque in forum Enneatypes
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 04-21-2017, 01:28 PM
  2. [Enne] Nines Instinct Questionnaire
    By Silveresque in forum Enneatypes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-26-2011, 08:29 PM
  3. [E6] Sixes Instinct Questionnaire
    By Silveresque in forum Enneatypes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-08-2011, 08:07 AM
  4. Team Technology Online Questionnaire
    By INTJMom in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-22-2007, 12:42 PM
  5. Last Five Files in Your "My Documents" Folder
    By Totenkindly in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-06-2007, 04:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO