• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 8] 8s and anger

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Disclaimer, this is just a theory

If you asked most people about what type of emotion anger is, they'd probably answer "negative" but it seems like for 8s, anger can either feel good or bad. for instance, the kind of anger felt when solving a problem, physically defending yourself or standing up for what you believe in might feel very good, even though it is still a feeling of anger.

Do any of you who are 8s relate to this?

Edit: another question, do you consider this particular feeling to be anger or a different emotion that is similar to anger?

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Disclaimer, this is just a theory

If you asked most people about what type of emotion anger is, they'd probably answer "negative" but it seems like for 8s, anger can either feel good or bad. for instance, the kind of anger felt when solving a problem, physically defending yourself or standing up for what you believe in might feel very good, even though it is still a feeling of anger.

Do any of you who are 8s relate to this?

I may not be an 8, but I think anger is justified. I do not, however, think it is justified to act on it a way that violates someone's rights, even in retaliation. The emotion is justified, but not always the action.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I may not be an 8, but I think anger is justified. I do not, however, think it is justified to act on it a way that violates someone's rights, even in retaliation. The emotion is justified, but not always the action.

what do you consider violating someone's rights?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Denying someone the free exercise of their will.

are you saying that people have a right to exercise their will in any way they please, even if they are hurting others?

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
are you saying that people have a right to exercise their will in any way they please, even if they are hurting others?

Of course not. People have a right to exercise their will as long as it does not interfere with someone else's will. Someone commiting violence against another is a violation of this. There are legitimate methods, outside of violence, to prevent the exercise of force in this manner.

(*whew* That took a lot out of me to form that simple 'T' sentence. :mellow:)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Of course not. People have a right to exercise their will as long as it does not interfere with someone else's will. Someone commiting violence against another is a violation of this. There are legitimate methods, outside of violence, to prevent the exercise of force in this manner.

so you believe that people don't have a right to do certain things, but you also don't believe people should be punished for those things? or do you believe that only governmental authorities should be able to use force
PS: no pressure, feel free to take your time or even come back to this later. I realize you are an INFP and not my INTJ 8w7 friend who I can debate intensely for hours

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
so you believe that people don't have a right to do certain things, but you also don't believe people should be punished for those things? or do you believe that only governmental authorities should be able to use force

I believe people should be punished for things, but not by violent force. No one should be allowed to use force.

PS: no pressure, feel free to take your time or even come back to this later. I realize you are an INFP and not my INTJ 8w7 friend who I can debate intensely for hours

Ah yes, it drains the life out of me to formally debate. :yes:

VagrantFarce

I've seen this expressed before, the idea of "positive anger". Positive or negative, it's the same release of energy - it's just a case of where it's aimed, and for what purpose. :)

I guess that's how 8s see it, because to them everything is a release of anger - it's their modus operandi. Telling them to calm down is like telling them to stop breathing - they suddenly don't know what to do with themselves (except get angry! :laugh:).

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think 8s feel good about anger because they are convinced that when they are angry about you, you deserve it.

Classical sociopath scene:

[youtube=NBvysuewIOs]Duel at the Mall[/youtube]

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Perhaps there is a distinction to be made between "anger" and "passion"?

Silveresque

My thoughts exactly. :yes:

(And good job on the 'T', uClassify says it's 97% thinking :D)

rav3n

Anger doesn't feel good. But it's useful when you learn to focus it.

Agent Jelly

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I try to deal with my anger immediately that way it doesn't fester and I don't become super bitch. When I was younger I had really bad anger problems (i also had a really bad home life), but I'd break things, punch holes in doors, etc. Now I do get angry (not nearly as often, but maybe more often than others) and I try to handle it maturely. I address it ASAP and move on. I do not think anger is negative I just think it depends on how you handle it. Holding it in is just as bad as having an explosive fit. I try to do neither!

T

ThatGirl

Anger to me doesn't feel good, mostly because I am soooooo 8 that I usually refuse to let someone see how they have affected me. So I just sit an feel it. When I am so angry that I direct it at the person (very rare) its not pretty. I've seen people with flat out fear in their eyes, and I feel like a monster afterward.

Discontent and irritation can be a motivating factor to change something, but no, I am not fueled by anger, and nothing good ever comes from situations where I am pushed toward it.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What's in my head.
tumblr_lq56lwqhtw1qfmek2o1_500.gif

Some people are alive because it's illegal to kill them.

But in all seriousness I channel my anger into class (not literally!). What I mean by this is that I really focus on doing my best; it's like a a fuel, a motivation to be the best.

I've lost my cool a couple of times and it's not pretty at all. It's very explosive and I become so consumed in my rage that I lost all sense of rationality; the look in the person's eyes -- just pure terror. Usually this happens when someone has really pissed the shit out of me with other prerequisites to warrant this anger.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
(I'm a 7w8 or an 8) my first response to anger is a plan of action. it's odd but in some ways I'm more rational when I'm angry. I immediately find what the problem is, bring it up to the other person and ask "this is the problem. here is my solution. now, I'd like to here your side of the story and what I need to do not to infringe upon you". when I was younger I would kind of just find what I wanted and take it, but I've since learned that being assertive and standing up for your needs (emotional, physical financial etc) does not always come naturally to people, so much of the time I have to ask this very explicitly and even then they take a while to figure that out and i need to get back to them (I honestly don't know how most people are even alive if they don't know what they want). studying MBTI and enneagram has helped me a lot in this regard as well as some study into basic human psychological needs. study, self reflection and most importantly defining what I justly have control over have helped me out tremendously. when I was younger this wasn't clearly defined so I would get into vicious confrontation over things that I thought I deserved or thought I needed, so this has both helped me to get angry much less and when I do get angry to channel it into something much more productive. my relationships have improved because i know what other people's boundaries are better
the best type of person for me to get angry around is another assertive person who knows what he wants. when that happens, it's easy to come up with a solution that works in both our best interests. however, even then, I can be stubborn as a mule on a few issues that I won't compromise on (personally, I don't see this as bad in the right circumstances. compromise is great, but you can't have a situation like "we'll compromise, I'll only beat you twice a week").

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
My anger is more like an ocean of lava under my feet than anything every really directed at people.

It's fuel for me to move forward, and generally stays where I keep it.

I'm easy to annoy or aggravate, but almost impossible to truly anger.

Ever so rarely though (once in my life thus far), it will boil over, and is a frightening thing to behold.

I've had rage blackouts before, where you just kind of go blank and, (redacted).

The scariest part is how good it feels to let go.

When I finally go to that place... I love being there.

[YOUTUBE="HNvzNWuzI9Y"]How did he die? Not well.[/YOUTUBE]

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Anger to me doesn't feel good, mostly because I am soooooo 8 that I usually refuse to let someone see how they have affected me. So I just sit an feel it. When I am so angry that I direct it at the person (very rare) its not pretty. I've seen people with flat out fear in their eyes, and I feel like a monster afterward.
Discontent and irritation can be a motivating factor to change something, but no, I am not fueled by anger, and nothing good ever comes from situations where I am pushed toward it.

could be wrong, but I think that's more NTJ 8s than 8s in general (although the 2 go together a lot). I've known an ESFP 8, an ENFJ 8 and an ISFP 8 and they were much more open when someone made them angry than the INTJ 8 I know who thinks more along the lines of "I can't show any weakness" (though he's learned to communicate it more pragmatically now and is able to avoid things that would make him loose control) as opposed to the "I don't have to take this" line of thinking more typical of an F 8 (though I think is probably also correlated with extroversion. an extravert might be more inclined to be direct and say something immediately)

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
What's in my head.
tumblr_lq56lwqhtw1qfmek2o1_500.gif

Some people are alive because it's illegal to kill them.

But in all seriousness I channel my anger into class (not literally!). What I mean by this is that I really focus on doing my best; it's like a a fuel, a motivation to be the best.

I've lost my cool a couple of times and it's not pretty at all. It's very explosive and I become so consumed in my rage that I lost all sense of rationality; the look in the person's eyes -- just pure terror. Usually this happens when someone has really pissed the shit out of me with other prerequisites to warrant this anger.

That's a 3w4 in that gif right there. Sorry, no 8 I know would say they lost their cool *just* a couple of times.

Anyway, anger is not inherently bad, it's just an emotion. It can result in very good or very bad things depending on what the person decides to channel their anger into.