User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default Counterdepressive 4's?

A while back, can not remember where, I read something about depressive/counterdepressive type 4's, much like the phobic/counterphobic states of type six. However, what was written was only mentioned quickly and did not give an elaborate explanation, so I'm asking here: How does the depressive and the counterdepressive 4's act? Are 4w5's more likely to be mostly depressive and 4w3's more counterdepressive?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Was it this excerpt?

Four: Self-sufficiency
    The passion of Fours is envy. The counterpassion is a caricature of the virtue of contentment. At that time, Fours want to appear self-sufficient. They claim to be satisfied with who they are and what they have. What others have that they lack is hence useless, devoid of interest and they are happy to do without. In French literature, there is a famous fable, by Jean de La Fontaine, that describes the counterpassion of the Four and reveals a transparent haughtiness and the persistence of envy.

The Fox and the Grapes
    (Book III, fable 11)
    Translated by Norman B. Spector

A certain Gascon Fox, a Norman one others say,
    Famished, saw on a trellis, up high to his chagrin,
    Grapes, clearly ripe that day,
    And all covered with purple skin.
    The rogue would have had a meal for the gods,
    But, having tried to reach them in vain,
    "They're too green," he said, "and just suitable for clods."

Didn't he do better than to complain?

Basically, depressive Fours get depressed because they are envious of the traits others have that they don't and feel flawed because of it. Counterdepressive Fours go against their envious feelings and flaunt their "flaws", rejecting modern society and standing their ground as an individualist. However, this behavior is just a ruse to hide their true feelings of loneliness, as many people are able to see. From what I've read, Marilyn Manson is a counterdepressive Four, but I wouldn't know since I'm not into his music. Another example would be schoolchildren who have a crush on someone, yet act mean to them because they can't express themselves (Helga Pataki's behavior from Hey Arnold comes to mind).
    We cast away priceless time in dreams, born of imagination, fed upon illusion, and put to death by reality. - Judy Garland

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

It was something about depressive fours being more withdrawn and moody, while counterdepressive fours acted hyperactive to fight those feelings, almost like a seven. What you said also makes sense.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

I hadn't come across the depressive and counter-depressive.. but that makes ALOT of sense. I type as both a 7 and 4 depending on the test. I identify with both descriptions, both's defense mechanisms, but I think that I might be a counter-depressive 4! I read that often times when you are confused with enneatype, the one that disturbs you the most will end up being your type, but you may want to reject it because the weakness and defences hits too close to home. This is certainly true for me being a 4. What got me into thinking I was a 7 is that I really do despise sitting in any kind of pain, be it emotional, physical, mental.. and ofcourse that sounds cliche, as in who would like being in pain? lol but it is especially true that I will go to great lengths (distracting myself) to avoid it. I also know that envy is a great motivator for me, but at times I have been known to entirely reject what ever I have been envying or view myself lacking as a form of relief.

When I have tested as 4, it is always with a very heavy 3 wing, and I agree that it makes sense for 4w3 to be more counter depressive and 4w5 depressive.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENTp

Depressive 4w5 here, sup guys?
    I have a (new) blog here.

You should do these: JohariNohari

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

this guy is a counter-depressive 4w3 sx/so
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
    Depressive 4w5 here, sup guys?
    Tell me how you generally act. Do you usually submit to the pain and withdraw, experiencing feelings of low self-worth? Do you also have periods when you are more counterdepressive and if so, what is it that you are fighting, what is your source of shame, and how do you tackle it?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i think i can see periods in my life where i've been counterdepressive, but now i'm depressive.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    i think i can see periods in my life where i've been counterdepressive, but now i'm depressive.
    How did you act when being counterdepressive and how do you act now? Are there any external reasons for you being depressive or do you fluctuate naturally?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    How did you act when being counterdepressive and how do you act now? Are there any external reasons for you being depressive or do you fluctuate naturally?
    i was more social, tried to distract myself from my problems more, more hedonistic, had more energy. i think i spend a lot more time in my head now, i want to be alone more, i don't reach out to people as much. just withdrawn i guess. i don't know, it could be other factors too. i think a lot of the lack of energy comes from smoking too much weed, when i take a break from it i'm all jumpy and high-strung.