• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 9] 9s and introspection

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
nines may immerse themselves in activities to feel more alive to counteract inertia. Yet other nines may be surprisingly intellectual and even indulge in introspection, though the latter is usually on their terms.

What is introspection? As far as I remember its the act of thinking about how you react and think, which I kind of like doing, and comparing this to how others think and react.

Surely I'm not the only 9 that introspects a lot? As a 9, do you introspect much? What would it mean to be on the 9s terms? like they don't introspect when told to? lol. nobody likes to do as they're told. :mellow:

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
Hey cool, I'm similar to you, as an introspective ENTP 9. I don't know much at all about Enneagram, though. Why "surprisingly" intellectual? :laugh:

Yeah, introspect NOW! Haha, reminds me of the ISTP here with the sig that says Smile NOW! or something like that, ha.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hey cool, I'm similar to you, as an introspective ENTP 9. I don't know much at all about Enneagram, though. Why "surprisingly" intellectual? :laugh:

Yeah, introspect NOW! Haha, reminds me of the ISTP here with the sig that says Smile NOW! or something like that, ha.

I was kinda wondering how ENTP 9 is possible... well, how any extraverted version of 9 is possible, seeing as most of the 9 descriptions depict withdrawal and typical introvert traits.

Yeah, 'surprisingly' intellectual hey? maybe it's because most 9s are ISFJs or something? I've heard ISFJs don't like intellectualism. And from what I hear, introspection is something that introverts do... so ahh... nothing is lining up at all.

Oh, and I realized after making this thread that the quote was taken from enneagram descriptions written by MellowMarcello himself, who used to be an active member of this site. Interesting dude. Very interesting.

Thunderbringer

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
I was kinda wondering how ENTP 9 is possible... well, how any extraverted version of 9 is possible, seeing as most of the 9 descriptions depict withdrawal and typical introvert traits.

Could be a counter-passionate 9. They involve themselves in many activities that have a certain repetition to them in order to get that narcotization regular 9's achieve from more introverted activities.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Could be a counter-passionate 9. They involve themselves in many activities that have a certain repetition to them in order to get that narcotization regular 9's achieve from more introverted activities.

I think I can picture that, but I don't know what you mean by counter-passionate?

Thunderbringer

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Counter-passionate refers to the act of going against the passion of the type. For example, counter-phobic sixes go against the fears and anxieties they feel by reactively fighting against it. In that sense counter-passionate Nines fight against their sloth by doing many activities that they'll feel gives them more of a sense of self-awareness, but will often fall into activities that can be done subconciously.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9

Yeah, 'surprisingly' intellectual hey? maybe it's because most 9s are ISFJs or something? I've heard ISFJs don't like intellectualism. And from what I hear, introspection is something that introverts do... so ahh... nothing is lining up at all.

Oh, and I realized after making this thread that the quote was taken from enneagram descriptions written by MellowMarcello himself, who used to be an active member of this site. Interesting dude. Very interesting.

I don't know much about Enneagram at all, so can't contribute much intelligence to this discussion. It's possible I'm not a 9, or it's possible I'm a "counter-passionate" 9. When I took the test from a website that an Enneagram proponent recommended, I came out as 9, with 7 and 2 not far behind.

But if it helps inform the discussion of whether it's possible to be an ENTP 9, I'm not an extreme extrovert, and I'm pretty introspective. I don't think it's uncommon for healthy ENTPs to be introspective.

I'm pretty intellectual in that I love continued learning in topics I find interesting and/or intellectually challenging, but at the same time, I can be lazy. (For instance, I find a lot of my career in civil engineering has been boring because it is far less intellectually challenging than I had expected. Most of it is standardized, hardly any of it requires much thought or creativity. So I took a year out of my career and studied molecular biology, was allowed to skip to 3rd yr courses, work in a lab, and get a graduate diploma, but decided working in a lab for 10 yrs before getting to a level where I'd get to make significant decisions wasn't for me, either. And I was surprised to discover that I was still a lazy student, even though I loved the subject and found it fascinating.)

It's common for me to buy a pile of books on a number of subjects, and then never find the time to read them. When I travel, I have the urge to bring 10 books with me and I feel like I want to read ALL of them, but in reality I'll only read bits from each. Or I'll spend time on the internet instead.

So... Enneagram 9? I dunno. :shrug: I've only read the description once. I've read a lot more about MBTI, because I find it much more interesting.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
Counter-passionate refers to the act of going against the passion of the type. For example, counter-phobic sixes go against the fears and anxieties they feel by reactively fighting against it. In that sense counter-passionate Nines fight against their sloth by doing many activities that they'll feel gives them more of a sense of self-awareness, but will often fall into activities that can be done subconciously.

What do you mean by "activities that can be done subconsciously"?

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What do you mean by "activities that can be done subconsciously"?

Something that can be done without much needed effort by that person. At least, that is how I see it.

The more effort something requires, the more conscious the person is when doing said task. The less effort something requires, the less conscious the person needs to perform such task.

One way to do things subconsciously(though it isn't the only way) is to do a task repeatedly. We can think of brushing our teeth and getting ready for the day as a subconscious task. Most of us have brushed our teeth since we were little, so it doesn't require much effort except for the repeated tasks we have learned as a child (toothbrush, toothpaste, water to rinse, and possibly flossing.)

Thunderbringer

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Something that can be done without much needed effort by that person. At least, that is how I see it.

The more effort something requires, the more conscious the person is when doing said task. The less effort something requires, the less conscious the person needs to perform such task.

One way to do things subconsciously(though it isn't the only way) is to do a task repeatedly. We can think of brushing our teeth and getting ready for the day as a subconscious task. Most of us have brushed our teeth since we were little, so it doesn't require much effort except for the repeated tasks we have learned as a child (toothbrush, toothpaste, water to rinse, and possibly flossing.)

Precisely what I meant. The way most Nines work is that they it takes them a while to start things, but when they do, they finish it, then return to a lethargic state. CP Nines seem to always be on the move, but they tend to fall into routine activities that don't require much thought process or effort to do.