User Tag List

Enneagram
    4w3

Default Fives Distrustful or critical

I accussed a FIVE that I am starting to get to know that he is distrustful. He replied that he is not but is critical. What do other FIVES think about this - are you more distrustful by nature or critical?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by simbad View Post
    I accussed a FIVE that I am starting to get to know that he is distrustful. He replied that he is not but is critical. What do other FIVES think about this - are you more distrustful by nature or critical?
    Why would one be trustful of someone who isn't self critical?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Define "critical..." sounds like you're talking about 'critical of others' and 'skeptical'.
    (Skeptical might be a better term over all, since it blends together distrustful and critical but in a reasonable way.)

As far as responding directly to the question, I've seen Fives who range from being just skeptical as part of testing things to make they sure they are trustworthy to Fives who gain a sense of power just from using their brains to shoot down any possible flaw in anything, no matter how likely, so as to not trust anything and make themselves look smart.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Junior Member PursuitOfHappiness's Avatar
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I would think that 5w6 would have more trust issues than 5w4. On the flip side, a 5w4 may come across as more critical, perhaps a function of an overt or even subconscious attempt to bring others down a notch, perhaps out of jealousy...this may assume the 5w4 is experiencing some degree of stress and/or lack if health.
    Likes NK258 liked this post

Sheep pill, broster asynartetic's Avatar

I'd say I'm more critical, although I think I've grown more distrustful than I was in my childhood and adolescence.

MBTI
    ENTP

I see criticality as necessary for survival, and I see my mind as sovereign; I trust only when absolutely necessary, and even then with apprehension. So I would consider myself both critical and distrustful, the latter a result of the former.

WhoCares

I am very distrustful and highly critical. I tend not to look for the good in people but rather stand back and wait for the less salburious side of their personality to emerge. I am rarely disappointed on that account. For me, this side to me has come through hard won experience and also sadly, through being really naive when I was younger. I now know there is a down side to everyone and it's much better to find out what that is before jumping in and allowing that person into your life.

The downside to this strategy is that few people ever make it into my life. The upside is that people rarely take much care in covering up their vices. Usually they are quite vocal about it, wearing it like a badge of honour. Other people take this as self-deprecation or modesty. I take it for what it is, a clear and honest appraisal of what I can expect from that person.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I think I have difficulty trusting others. It's easier to rely on myself.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I'm more critical than distrustful.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”