• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 5] How do fives show affection generally?

simbad

Enneagram
4w3
For me, something that has played a big part in understanding where I stand with a five, is learning, acknowledging and appreciating, how they might give the 'green light'. Obviously instinctual variants, love styles, jungian type, and other things factor in as to how a type 5 might reciprocate. But generally how, who, when, why do fives reciprocate? subjective individual answers will be helpful too.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I think it differs quite a bit between 5w6 and 5w4s. I'm a 5w4 and I find myself very affectionate. Often delving in areas of affections to a degree of obliviousness blissfulness in the moment, to a point of where angels fear to tread.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm a 5w6. I mostly tease and share my ideas, goals and plans. And make sure to listen, ofc. I like to make fun of everything, including of myself and of whoever I'm talking to. Helps if they don't take themselves too seriously. :laugh:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I like physical affection but I have to know you well and feel comfortable with you first. I'm not big on just casually touching someone. I tend to reserve affection for deeper relationiships.

A

A window to the soul

Fives please correct me if I'm wrong. You show affection through gift giving.
You notice things that someone likes and you surprise them with it.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Just making sure- you're kidding, right?

A

A window to the soul

Just making sure- you're kidding, right?

No sir. I've heard both ISTP's and INTP's say that. Many of which are 5's. My Dad is a 5 and he is that way. I also dated what I believe to be a 5 and above all else, he showed affection through giving meaningful gifts. (He was a very introverted, very logical guy.)

Does that describe you?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I suppose I can be this way in a relationship, especially on the first stages, but never with friends. Maybe the 5w4s are different, but I'm more about quality time. :)

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am dating a 5w6 and I wouldn't consider gift-giving a strong point at all. But I think this could be individual. I'd say the very best way to determine if a 5 cares for you, is if they are around. Seriously, it ain't much for us needier, valiation-seeking types.. but I've had this talk with my 5 over and over, and to him is it really fucking simple. If he didn't like me, he wouldn't be around. He absolutely despises any kind of expectation, and refuses to act on it, because they basically refuse to be inauthentic, ever. The best way to get love from a 5 is to give them ALL THE FREEDOM in the world. Very little expecatation, and try to keep emotionalism at bay. 5w6 shows love through time spent, and physically. They suck at verbalizing and aren't big on gift giving either. Acts of service can *sometimes* be shown.

Edit: Now I think about it, Nerdgirl, I think it's very possible a 5 might be different with children, assuming that as they age they develop inferior Fe more. I would imagine an older 5 could be alot more affectionate than when younger.

A

A window to the soul

I suppose I can be this way in a relationship, especially on the first stages, but never with friends. Maybe the 5w4s are different, but I'm more about quality time. :)

Ah yes, that's one of the five love languages. Rasofy, thanks for your response. :)

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No sir. I've heard both ISTP's and INTP's say that. Many of which are 5's. My Dad is a 5 and he is that way. I also dated what I believe to be a 5 and above all else, he showed affection through giving meaningful gifts. (He was a very introverted, very logical guy.)

Does that describe you?

(<- Female, btw ) Not at all. Quite often I resent gifts (unless they're somehow personalized), and only give them when something crosses my path that screams a person's name. Maybe it's just the environment you're used to (and the kind of e5s that would be found there) more than it is about being e5. Because the e5s I know (at least the few I know well enough to say) are more like me than not where giving gifts is concerned. I mean, it's a lot like me to show up with someone's favorite coffee drink or snack/something fun/whatever when they didn't ask for it- to surprise people with stuff like that (so in that sense, yeah)- but I usually refuse to participate in gift-giving at Christmas or birthdays. And the only people I know who are as ornery about instituted gift-giving days as I am are the people I suspect are also e5s. I'm not saying I think most e5s are like this- I'm just saying it would really surprise me if it were more common for e5s to be on the opposite end of that spectrum.

I usually show affection by paying attention to someone I guess, spending time with them. I'm definitely an attention and time hoarder (regarding my own attention), I seriously like my alone time and I have to really like someone to want to spend a lot of time with them. Plus I'll trust them with things that I don't tell many people. So for me, what Jenaphor said, probably.

[edit] I think the most common way I express affection is doing things to show that I pay attention- I pick up on what makes them happy/cheers them up (e.g. if they hate doing dishes, I'll wash dishes without them asking) and do it regularly, as long as it keeps cheering them up.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
[MENTION=5639]JocktheMotie[/MENTION] just said to me, he'd still have sex with me up to 12 hours after my death.
<3 <3

they're pretty good with words of affirmation.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Opening up and time spent.

Time spent, sure, but for myself I don't even know what "opening up" means. My inner emotional landscape I find to be transient and of little personal value so sharing that just seems like silly thing to do. There seems to be the perception that if one doesn't talk about one's feelings, it means they're super duper important and the holy grail of relationshipz. I don't talk about beauty pageants either, does that mean I secretly love them and getting me to talk about them is some kind of huge milestone?

IMO, for the 5 the trick is to get them to be honest about an emotional stressor and if you help them analyze it from afar, it takes away some of the worry in airing it out, because you've shown that you understand the 5 doesn't want the particular emotion to be attached to them.

On second thought, maybe that's what you meant by opening up.

Not really. I'm more likely to...take a picture of it than burden you with the actual object.

[MENTION=5639]JocktheMotie[/MENTION] just said to me, he'd still have sex with me up to 12 hours after my death.
<3 <3

they're pretty good with words of affirmation.

It'd probably be the opposite if I died, lucky girl. After rigor sets in, you just have to keep me from decaying and you could have me forever. Turn me into an office chair.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
My e5 gf pays me the compliment of considering me worthy of hearing about all the discoveries she makes and loves to talk about her research. Since she considers that stuff very private and kind of snobbishly assumes others would never understand, I take it as a compliment. When she does emotional, quasi-2ish things I really try to encourage/.support that, because she seems so awkward and vulnerable doing it. Like she's really going out on a limb. But I don't know if ALL 5's are like, just my five.

'My five', makes me think of the song "My Guy". Nothing you can say, can tear me away, from my five. She may not be a movie star, but when it comes to being nerdy, we are...etc

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My e5 gf pays me the compliment of considering me worthy of hearing about all the discoveries she makes and loves to talk about her research. Since she considers that stuff very private and kind of snobbishly assumes others would never understand, I take it as a compliment.
Precisely. I also consider most people are too mundane to bother about these things, so the mere fact that we share these ideas with someone is very significant. What's her mbti type, btw?
When she does emotional, quasi-2ish things I really try to encourage/.support that, because she seems so awkward and vulnerable doing it. Like she's really going out on a limb. But I don't know if ALL 5's are like, just my five.
That's accurate. It's hard for us to open up and if this is discouraged we pretty much close ourselves.

G

Glycerine

I usually show affection by paying attention to someone I guess, spending time with them. I'm definitely an attention and time hoarder (regarding my own attention), I seriously like my alone time and I have to really like someone to want to spend a lot of time with them. Plus I'll trust them with things that I don't tell many people. So for me, what Jenaphor said, probably.

[edit] I think the most common way I express affection is doing things to show that I pay attention- I pick up on what makes them happy/cheers them up (e.g. if they hate doing dishes, I'll wash dishes without them asking) and do it regularly, as long as it keeps cheering them up.
I relate so much to this. Also, for me usually I am not expressive of my affection, physically or with words. It's through actions.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Gift giving rates high on my list of love languages but my INTP 5 was more into physical touch. He's a hugger.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
(<- Female, btw ) Not at all. Quite often I resent gifts (unless they're somehow personalized), and only give them when something crosses my path that screams a person's name. Maybe it's just the environment you're used to (and the kind of e5s that would be found there) more than it is about being e5. Because the e5s I know (at least the few I know well enough to say) are more like me than not where giving gifts is concerned. I mean, it's a lot like me to show up with someone's favorite coffee drink or snack/something fun/whatever when they didn't ask for it- to surprise people with stuff like that (so in that sense, yeah)- but I usually refuse to participate in gift-giving at Christmas or birthdays. And the only people I know who are as ornery about instituted gift-giving days as I am are the people I suspect are also e5s. I'm not saying I think most e5s are like this- I'm just saying it would really surprise me if it were more common for e5s to be on the opposite end of that spectrum.

I veeeeery much relate to all this.

Killjoy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram

I just gave a friend of mine two books for her birthday: One on John Wayne Gacy, the other on Jonestown. I even threw in a cute little bookmark for shits and giggles.

Granted, she's a good friend of mine and I typically don't participate nor have any keen interest in gift giving, especially to those that would be purely out of "obligation": Nieces, nephews, brothers... even my parents I can't be bothered to shop for. This is an exception, since we share a common interest (morbid shit?) and that seems to makes it more personal (Though more appropriately, a recognition that the relationship is important to me) in contrast to a going-through-the-motions type of gift giving - Which is always lame and not something I partake in.