User Tag List

First 234

Thread: Phobic 6s

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Yeah, I see both the 5 wing and the 7 wing in me - actually, I've read some 6w7 descriptions that fit me better, but I think 6w5 fits better overall.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Yay!

I knew there were a few others out there. I agree that "situational" has a lot to do with it. I think Speed Gavroche, who identifies as counter-phobic 6, said something on another thread about how you might be a 6 if in a situation where everyone else is calm and laid back you're freaking out, and where everyone else is nervous and scared you're calm, confident, courageous and collected. I TOTALLY identified with that.

Do you have an idea what your instinctual stacking is? Any comments about your phobic or counter-phobic moments? I'm all ears
    I know this is old but this is great. Last night was a perfect example of this for me. My daughter (a textbook phobic 6w7) and I were in line for a roller coaster last night. She was getting freaked out and I was like ' what's your problem?' Then I went the second time with my son who wasnt scared at all and all of a sudden I felt terrified. But yes, this is precisely how it works for me.

If I am a six, pretty sure I'm a 6w5 either sp/sx or so/sx. I seem to oscillate between phobic and counterphobic. Seem more externally nine when phobic (i withdraw and hold it in ), more four or seven when cp, if that makes sense. Also more sx variant when cp.

I positively hate being told what to do. I have big time authority issues, can't deal with having a boss, and bristle every time I see a police officer, even when I'm doing nothing wrong. Silly.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    There are a few other people on TypeC who identify as 6s, though not as many as there should be, I suspect. But most who do seem to identify as counterphobic. Anyone else out there see themselves as a phobic 6?

I think whether you're mainly counterphobic or phobic you're likely to have aspects of both.
    Me! In fact, I don't think I'm even counterphobic at all... well, I can get VERY angry, but it's mostly from my Fi and not my 6 nature. I've never stood up to anyone, and I've never felt courage before. Ever.

As for instinct stacking, I'm pretty sure I'm an Sx/Sp (I think...), which is kinda weird for basically a purely phobic 6. I'm an interesting character to say the least.

P.S.: I would read the ensuing comments right now, but I have to go to work soon. I'll watch them afterward.

Edit: Whoops, it looks like I misinterpreted the meaning of courage. Disregard what I said then.
    MBTI: INFP
    Enneagram: 6w7, phobic
    Tritype: 6-9-2
    Instinctual Variant: Sx/Sp
    Temperament: Pure Supine
    D&D Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: Solid Liberal
    Religious Views: Atheist

Fi > Ne > Ti > Fe > Se > Si > Te > Ni

"Forgiveness means letting go of the past." ~ Gerald Jampolsky
    "I am justice!" ~ Light Yagami, Death Note
    "The choices people make tell you a lot about a person, but the reasons [...] tell you even more." ~ Albus Dumbledore (paraphrased)

Tatiana ♥

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Hazashin View Post
    Me! In fact, I don't think I'm even counterphobic at all... well, I can get VERY angry, but it's mostly from my Fi and not my 6 nature. I've never stood up to anyone, and I've never felt courage before. Ever.
    As for instinct stacking, I'm pretty sure I'm an Sx/Sp (I think...), which is kinda weird for basically a purely phobic 6. I'm an interesting character to say the least.
    P.S.: I would read the ensuing comments right now, but I have to go to work soon. I'll watch them afterward.
    sexual 6s are very protective. I'm sure if someone threatened a person you cared about you would go very counter phobic on them
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    sexual 6s are very protective. I'm sure if someone threatened a person you cared about you would go very counter phobic on them
    No, I wouldn't. I may love the person dearly, but I would never go counterphobic. I've already been assumed to be like that by my little sister (though not in personality type terms), and when I told her that I'd whimper and submit in a life-threatening situation instead of standing up and defending me and the family, she was awestruck and said, "Great, now I can't feel safe around you anymore." And she shouldn't, because I couldn't handle something like that. I've also told my dad, but he doesn't believe me. He says, "You say you wouldn't, but you would." He also says that when I told him that if I had a daughter and she was raped, I wouldn't feel anger towards the offender. Just sheer disappointment and disgust. Not anger. My anger is unorthodox, actually.

"The choices people make tell you a lot about a person, but the reasons [...] tell you even more." ~ Albus Dumbledore (paraphrased)

Tatiana ♥

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

And here we have people (previously) trying to pin me down as a 6.

After what I read here, it's very unlikely.
    C#2-C#5-F#5
    3 octaves, 2 notes and 1 semitone
    Supported range: F#2-F#4-C#5

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Concerning the issue with being calm when everyone is chaotic and chaotic when everyone is calm......

I don't like extremes. I find that it isn't necessarily that I'm taking the opposite approach, but that I just want things to remain moderate, not calm and not chaotic, just moderate. If it becomes too extreme one way or another, I don't like that, and will try to pull it back-to-middle. And this has to do with opinion as well.

I think my fight is for a moderate, realistic approach, whatever the issue may be. It can seem like I am doing the opposite, but upon observing and thinking, I'm just trying to get the situation back-to-center.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    If it becomes too extreme one way or another, I don't like that, and will try to pull it back-to-middle. And this has to do with opinion as well.
    You may try and succeed at this, but I simply cannot willfully calm myself. When I try, I end up just being more anxious. :P

Tatiana ♥

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Hazashin View Post
    You may try and succeed at this, but I simply cannot willfully calm myself. When I try, I end up just being more anxious. :P
    I can but it takes time if I am really upset. Usually, I can reason myself out of feeling too anxious, but there are certain scenarios where I cannot. I have a few things I do to get rid of anxiety if it grows too much: take a hot bath, drink a beer. If that doesn't work, take an over-the-counter sleeping pill. That seems to always do it.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

A couple of things:

Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    Concerning the issue with being calm when everyone is chaotic and chaotic when everyone is calm......

I don't like extremes. I find that it isn't necessarily that I'm taking the opposite approach, but that I just want things to remain moderate, not calm and not chaotic, just moderate. If it becomes too extreme one way or another, I don't like that, and will try to pull it back-to-middle. And this has to do with opinion as well.

I think my fight is for a moderate, realistic approach, whatever the issue may be. It can seem like I am doing the opposite, but upon observing and thinking, I'm just trying to get the situation back-to-center.
    I relate so much to this. I'm all about the middle of the road. Extremes of any sort usually bother me a lot, and I tend to feel that it's human nature to go to extremes (ie. making millions of petty little rules, OR disregarding and disrespecting all rules, even meaningful ones.)

I think 6s are very much about trying to see the (at least) ten sides to every story.

A couple of other questions:

Do other 6s (especially phobic) worry a lot about worrying or disappointing their parents? When I went to Egypt last summer with a few friends, I was the one who kept going "ooohhh...my parents would hate to see me in this crazy taxi with no seatbelt" and that sort of thing. THe others kind of laughed at me.

Also: are any of you as fixated on heroes as I am? I mean, I have a really weird thing about hero figures, as much as I'm aware that heroes often walk a fine line between genuine heroism, and stupidity.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING