• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 5] Fives and body language

simbad

Enneagram
4w3
Are fives good at interpreting body language - knowing when someone they like is feeling upset, nervous, in love?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
This seems to be hit or miss, entirely dependent on whether or not you have the 5's focus. When I am zeroed in on someone this tends to come easily and my naturally detached, analytical demeanor is going to seize upon body language, word choice, and anything I can determine from observing this person in order to figure out their motives and what they're trying to really say. If, however, you do not have my attention it's not like this awareness runs in the background. I believe that's why we can, at times, be incredibly oblivious.

With an SO or a close friend, if I notice a deviation from your usual pattern of behavior or interaction I'll look to body language to help me figure it out but I probably won't bring anything up and I'll just leave you alone. Pro-tip: pouting or being evasive for an extended period of time isn't going to make us come to you, but we're going to give you even more space with the perception that you'll figure things out on your own, since that's what we do. Which tends to be the opposite of what people want.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is an instance where I'd guess mbti type has stronger correlations than enneagram. I pick up on things, but I only pay attention if I like the person.

Jock said:
Pro-tip: pouting or being evasive for an extended period of time isn't going to make us come to you, but we're going to give you even more space with the perception that you'll figure things out on your own. Which tends to be the opposite of what people want.

I definitely agree with this, though. People just instinctively try to be helpful by doing things they personally find most helpful from others- and if something is bothering me, I tend to want to be left alone to figure it out.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know basic body language and would like to think I am pretty good at reading people. It's not 100% my strong suit but I've gotten better at it as I've gotten older. Often, body language speaks louder than words. I struggle with little microexpressions and things that go by very quickly. I often miss things with that and struggle to interpret them.

I know that missing little things like this can kill rapport. When I do get to the level of wanting to be friends with a person, or else wanting to know where they are coming from, I pick up on things based on body language. I don't always know how to act on it but I do pick up on it.