User Tag List

Enneagram
    4w3

Default Fives and body language

Are fives good at interpreting body language - knowing when someone they like is feeling upset, nervous, in love?

Do pigs fly?

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

This seems to be hit or miss, entirely dependent on whether or not you have the 5's focus. When I am zeroed in on someone this tends to come easily and my naturally detached, analytical demeanor is going to seize upon body language, word choice, and anything I can determine from observing this person in order to figure out their motives and what they're trying to really say. If, however, you do not have my attention it's not like this awareness runs in the background. I believe that's why we can, at times, be incredibly oblivious.

With an SO or a close friend, if I notice a deviation from your usual pattern of behavior or interaction I'll look to body language to help me figure it out but I probably won't bring anything up and I'll just leave you alone. Pro-tip: pouting or being evasive for an extended period of time isn't going to make us come to you, but we're going to give you even more space with the perception that you'll figure things out on your own, since that's what we do. Which tends to be the opposite of what people want.

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

This is an instance where I'd guess mbti type has stronger correlations than enneagram. I pick up on things, but I only pay attention if I like the person.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock
    Pro-tip: pouting or being evasive for an extended period of time isn't going to make us come to you, but we're going to give you even more space with the perception that you'll figure things out on your own. Which tends to be the opposite of what people want.
    I definitely agree with this, though. People just instinctively try to be helpful by doing things they personally find most helpful from others- and if something is bothering me, I tend to want to be left alone to figure it out.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari