• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 8] 8w7 vs 8w9 (fast) differences?

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Just felt like pointing out that sexual attraction isn't the same as sx energy.

I never said they were.

So rex thinks I'm 8w7 and amargith thinks I"m 8w7.

Since I saw someone who might have been 8w9 recently, I'm starting to doubt 8w9 as my type.
[MENTION=5494]Amargith[/MENTION] says 8w7's are quick and fast while 8w9's are slow and steady. I identify with both of these depending on the circumstances.

Gizmo

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I find this thread very interesting... At first I thought I was a 4w5, and then I swapped over to a 5w4. Thats when I came to realise that 8s are like 5s under stress. I'm pretty sure now I'm an 8w7. I don't have any doubts about being an INTJ, however a very exuberant INTJ that is a bit of an adrenaline junkie. 8w7s are known to be "extraverted" because of the 7 wing, but any introvert can be motivated to "extravert" the can just expect exhaustion after wards. Parkour, moto gp, dance festivals, and intense production jobs. I know that 8w7's are often known for their strange stare that usually comes out in boredom, or if we're on to something. 8w7s... You'll probably find an abundance of them at any redbull event.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I find this thread very interesting... At first I thought I was a 4w5, and then I swapped over to a 5w4. Thats when I came to realise that 8s are like 5s under stress. I'm pretty sure now I'm an 8w7. I don't have any doubts about being an INTJ, however a very exuberant INTJ that is a bit of an adrenaline junkie. 8w7s are known to be "extraverted" because of the 7 wing, but any introvert can be motivated to "extravert" the can just expect exhaustion after wards. Parkour, moto gp, dance festivals, and intense production jobs. I know that 8w7's are often known for their strange stare that usually comes out in boredom, or if we're on to something. 8w7s... You'll probably find an abundance of them at any redbull event.

Based on how you present, I have a hard time seeing you being a disintegrated 8, because you don't seem to relate to things the way 8s do. Did you for example read this?

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/enneatypes/75516-enneagram-8-desciption.html

TreeBob

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Gizmo

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=24874]Gizmo[/MENTION]

How did you manage to post exactly the same post several hours later lol?

Gizmo

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Based on how you present, I have a hard time seeing you being a disintegrated 8, because you don't seem to relate to things the way 8s do. Did you for example read this?

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/enneatypes/75516-enneagram-8-desciption.html

Honestly everything about the 8w7 fits way to well, not just in my mentally, but also in my physical presentation and life interest... My true self is something that Is put into action. I'm actually often described as being to intense with too much energy. I work manufacturing and production, before that construction, as well as male stripping simply when ever I felt like it. I have a difficult problem working with people, and I always strangely get stimulated when management steps in to test me. It's not that I have social issues. I can actually make friends easily when I want to... Most people just can't keep up. As an INTJ I absolutely love a good book, but I'm usually out side free running, mountain biking, scuba diving, jet skiing, and I'm not going going to even bother naming all of them off. If I tell people a story they never believe me, until they challenge me... They shut up really fast. I'm 110% with no doubt an Sx/Sp, and yes I know that sexual defines a person by their intensity, energy, and drive for intense experiences... Doesn't mean a person wants to spread their seed like sheep as most people would like to believe. I get pissy when people tell me what to do. I always make it a point that I will work with people, but I will never work for anyone, unless someone very dear to me needs a hand and they simply are not competent for what ever that reason may be... Another thing I understand about 8s is their "can do " attitude... I never thought about it. But I say "Can do at least 20 times a day." I could go on and on, but I believe 8w7 the Maverick is pretty on point.

Gizmo

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=24874]Gizmo[/MENTION]

How did you manage to post exactly the same post several hours later lol?

I was on break at work (metal building), and it was jacking with my internet... I didn't realise it posted the first time.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Honestly everything about the 8w7 fits way to well, not just in my mentally, but also in my physical presentation and life interest... My true self is something that Is put into action. I'm actually often described as being to intense with too much energy. I work manufacturing and production, before that construction, as well as male stripping simply when ever I felt like it. I have a difficult problem working with people, and I always strangely get stimulated when management steps in to test me. It's not that I have social issues. I can actually make friends easily when I want to... Most people just can't keep up. As an INTJ I absolutely love a good book, but I'm usually out side free running, mountain biking, scuba diving, jet skiing, and I'm not going going to even bother naming all of them off.

All these interests don't suggest lust as a passion, though. To quote:

(Sandra Maitri, Passions & Virtues chapter on type 8, too long to copy directly into a post:)
eZoQkk1W | shrib.com

Claudio Naranjo said:
Lust
Just as anger may be regarded the most hidden of passions, lust is probably the most visible, seeming an exception to a general rule that wherever there is passion, there is also
taboo or injunction in the psyche against it. I say “seemingly” because even though the lusty type is passionately in favor of his lust and of lust in general as a way of life, the very
passionateness with which he embraces this outlook betrays a defensiveness—as if he needed to prove to himself and the rest of the world that what everybody calls bad is not such. Some of the specific traits that convey lust, such as “intensity,” “gusto,” “contactfulness,” “love of eating,” and so on, are intimately bound to the constitutional stratum of personality. A sensory-motor disposition (the somatotonic background of lust) may be regarded as the natural soil in which lust proper is supported. Other traits, such as hedonism, the propensity to boredom when not succiently stimulated, the craving for excitement, impatience, and impulsiveness, are in domain of lust proper.

We must consider that lust is more than hedonism. There is in lust not only pleasure, but pleasure in asserting the satisfaction of impulses, pleasure in the forbidden and, particularly, pleasure in fighting for pleasure. In addition to pleasure proper there is here an admixture of some pain that has been transformed into pleasure: either the pain of others who are “preyed upon” for one’s satisfaction or the pain entailed by the effort to conquer the obstacles in the way to satisfaction. It is this that makes lust a passion for intensity and not for pleasure alone. The extra intensity, the extra excitement, the “spice,” comes not from instinctual satisfaction, but from a struggle and an implicit triumph.

What I think is interesting to highlight here, is the part that you mention that others can't keep up with you. It seems to imply something related to 7, at least superficially, as 7s are the hares in a sense, in the enneagram, in that they are particularly focused on the need for speed and not wanting to be held down or standing still for too long. Also, the gluttony of 7 is the most stereotypically hedonistic kind. The lust of 8 is more a search for complete and total immersion or in other words, intensity. Both types seek sensory-pleasure, but they manifest this drive for pleasure in very different ways. 7s want a lot of a lot of different things. They see the life as a buffet and they want to try a little from every dish. 8s on the other hand, would focus on enjoying one dish and eat it until their bellies explode.

If I tell people a story they never believe me, until they challenge me... They shut up really fast. I'm 110% with no doubt an Sx/Sp, and yes I know that sexual defines a person by their intensity, energy, and drive for intense experiences... Doesn't mean a person wants to spread their seed like sheep as most people would like to believe. I get pissy when people tell me what to do. I always make it a point that I will work with people, but I will never work for anyone, unless someone very dear to me needs a hand and they simply are not competent for what ever that reason may be...

The real question here, is why you get pissed off when people tell you what to do. What motivation underlies that reaction?

Another thing I understand about 8s is their "can do " attitude... I never thought about it. But I say "Can do at least 20 times a day." I could go on and on, but I believe 8w7 the Maverick is pretty on point.

To be honest, that's a pretty shallow interpretation of what Riso & Hudson are referring to when they express that 8s come with a "can do" attitude. They don't literally mean that people say they can do things, but rather, 8s have an innate disposition that they can overcome any problem or obstacle that flies in their face. They are utterly convinced and believe in their own capabilities and don't stop to question whether they have problems to accomplish or achieve what they want. That is what they mean with "can do".

Putting it this way: a person who knows they can do things don't say they can do them but they will do them.

I am not trying to say you can not reasonably be an 8, but I find something extremely off with the way you go on and try to type yourself. It seems as if you are merely skimming the outer shell of your personality, to quote Sandra Maitri, as opposed to really delving into yourself and truly introspecting in order to get a feel for who you actually are. Enneagram requires more self-work than simply reading a description and going "that's me", especially seeing how you were certain you were a 4 and then a 5 prior to reading about type 8.