MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I'm not a 3, but I kind of relate. Yet as a 7 I don't want to be 1st, but I want to be in the top 5th percentile at everything I do.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I'm not a 3, but I kind of relate. Yet as a 7 I don't want to be 1st, but I want to be in the top 5th percentile at everything I do.
    well, thats the same... "winning" is the most important.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    SEE

3w4 in another picture:

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I don't think it's so much that 3s are too ambitious as much as ambitious about the wrong things. wanting to make $1,000,000 a year retire by age 45 is useful ambition; wanting to get 100% in every class you take is not
    100% is unrealistic, and chances are, if it's easily doable, the class is too easy to sustain my attention span. I kind of acknowledged that sit-down-and-do-bookwork school isn't for me, but given the chance for a huge project, that's when it matters.

Senior research is an entire semester, 2 hours a school day, unsupervised in the lab, dedicated to whatever you decided was your muse. The most teacher interference is going to be in choosing the research concept (e.g. no paintball guns trials in school, no testing on live animals, etc.), because we've gone through the lab report process at least four times before.

My point is that I don't quite have a conventional view of academic success-- there needs to be open-endedness, or I won't thrive. GPA doesn't mean anything to me. If I'm not excited for what I'm doing, then that's not the right way to go about it.
    ISTP 3w2 SX/SO

MBTI
    FREE

One of the most worthwhile accomplishments I have ever set and achieved was learning to accept my limitations and be happy with my life, regardless of failure. Whatever you do in your life, it is unlikely that you will be as successful as your potential (pretty obvious really, to reach your potential at one thing would require sacrificing all else); so it really comes down to adjusting yourself to become better adept at handling that truth.

Having a false sense of superiority can be exceptionally draining, as one expends a great deal of emotional energy attempting to preserve that exaggerated self perception. Although this is an assumption, I find it highly likely that nobody at TypoC (yourself included) is going to be the best at what s/he does. I understand that best is a relative qualifier, and that people are likely to 'take best to the tailor' so to speak, so that they can perceive themselves in the greatest possible light; but I'm talking averages here. Whatever you decide to do, you will fail sometimes, meet people whose abilities eclipse your own, and hopefully learn and grow from every experience.

Go out, set goals, achieve them, fail, adjust, live your life. Relish in your success, and remember, anything you have was given to you by happenstance. Your intellect was a gift from the universe as a result of your genetics and upbringing, but eventually you will be a rotting corpse in the ground (then you can be the 'best' darn worm-food there ever was).

P.S. - There is a person on TypoC (at least one to my knowledge) who scored a perfect score on the SATs: 2400; yet she is surprisingly humble and gracious about this fact, considering she is in the 99.998th percentile. She did admit to once being anxiety ridden over the prospect of getting a B in a class (it did happen), but seems to have gotten over it and is on the road to success and happiness.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I don't think it's so much that 3s are too ambitious as much as ambitious about the wrong things. wanting to make $1,000,000 a year retire by age 45 is useful ambition; wanting to get 100% in every class you take is not
    well no, that can be useful as well. that 100% can be a buffer if you screw up on something within that class, later on down the road.

MBTI
    ENFP

All of this makes me want to cry because it's so true :'( You set expectations for yourself that seem so realistic at the time you plan them out, and once you realize there's just no way you can reach the top, it's a nasty fall.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    — Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    One of the most worthwhile accomplishments I have ever set and achieved was learning to accept my limitations and be happy with my life, regardless of failure. Whatever you do in your life, it is unlikely that you will be as successful as your potential (pretty obvious really, to reach your potential at one thing would require sacrificing all else); so it really comes down to adjusting yourself to become better adept at handling that truth.

Having a false sense of superiority can be exceptionally draining, as one expends a great deal of emotional energy attempting to preserve that exaggerated self perception. Although this is an assumption, I find it highly likely that nobody at TypoC (yourself included) is going to be the best at what s/he does. I understand that best is a relative qualifier, and that people are likely to 'take best to the tailor' so to speak, so that they can perceive themselves in the greatest possible light; but I'm talking averages here. Whatever you decide to do, you will fail sometimes, meet people whose abilities eclipse your own, and hopefully learn and grow from every experience.

Go out, set goals, achieve them, fail, adjust, live your life. Relish in your success, and remember, anything you have was given to you by happenstance. Your intellect was a gift from the universe as a result of your genetics and upbringing, but eventually you will be a rotting corpse in the ground (then you can be the 'best' darn worm-food there ever was).

P.S. - There is a person on TypoC (at least one to my knowledge) who scored a perfect score on the SATs: 2400; yet she is surprisingly humble and gracious about this fact, considering she is in the 99.998th percentile. She did admit to once being anxiety ridden over the prospect of getting a B in a class (it did happen), but seems to have gotten over it and is on the road to success and happiness.
    i agree with all you're saying... if i dont view it that way i wouldnt open the thread.. but again there's always part of you (as 3, i think, at least with me) that has that crazy drive... irrational... and also, often its not about being superior.. its about not failing. that's totally different thing... because failure is something like being dead, to many 3s... we deal with it very much worse than others. You can succeed even if you're not superior, it's all about what your goals were.. but you either fail or dont, it's 1 or 0, in 3s mind, often... that's the scary part.

I like how Maitri described 3s - running away from 6's position ; 6 is insecure about does she have floor under her feet, and 3s dont like that insecure position so they say "i'll do it myself", and in order to run away from fears they must strongly believe it's possible to do whatever they want to do... that's like hypnosis. "If I cant do it - who can?"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i have a 3w4 friend, her catchphrase is "i'll do it myself!"

i have no idea how she keeps up with herself though. she's not really high-energy, but she goes and goes and goes. event then event then event then event. i need my downtime!

MBTI
    ENFP

I'm pretty lazy for a 3 o__o; Or maybe it's because I'm just always in some unhealthy mode.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
    — Dr. Seuss