• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 9] 9w1s -- please help me understand you!

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm trying to type my INFP boyfriend, and so far 9w1 seems the closest. The problem is, he doesn't identify with the general happy, peace-loving Type 9 description, but sees elements of himself in Types 1, 4, 5 and 6.

However, he somewhat identifies with this description, and the Taoism bit is right-on!

9w1s are sensitive and self-effacing as well as gentle and loving. While they have issues with expressing anger they can also feel crippled with anxiety. They suppress or ignore their wants due to fear. They "cocoon" under stress and their "positive outlook" is a defense against a deep-seated belief of an inability to have an influence or impact. The delayed anger responses from 9w1s result from an excessive buildup of intense long-term anxiety that never got dealt with. They are much harder on themselves than 9w8s. They are very sensitive to criticism because they take it as a judgement on them as people. This is why praise can have such a positive effect on them. The key is to try to relieve their anxiety directly and then anger issues will resolve themselves.

9w1s have an "ego in having no ego", as opposed to the 9w8 ego in being able to be apathetic to what's pointless. They can be unusually intuitive and cerebral as well as creative and fantastical. They have a knack for synthesizing various theories and viewpoints. Sometimes they can seem like 4s and 5s except they idealize "flow" and don't take things to the same extremes. It's tough to narrow down the possibilities and discriminate the way they see everything as interconnected. They feel ambivalent and out of touch with what their instincts tell them. They repress and ignore negative urges in themselves but get fustrated with those who disturb the peace. In response to being disturbed themselves they might initially be taken aback or dazed and then say everything is okay.

9w1s are high-minded types who idealize peace, harmony, healing, and union with others. They mainly fear being seperated from loved ones and on some level they feel like they don't matter as a distinctly seperate person. "United we stand divided we fall" resonates with them because on a deeper level seperation is equivalent to annihilation. They dream about formlessness as the perfect reality, where one is freed from struggles of the ego and anything else that detracts from fluidity. They feel drawn to being connected with the vastness and beauty of nature and are attracted to things like large bodies of water and celestial entities in the sky. The Way of the Tao is very 9w1, as are other eastern philosophies that aspire to a formless and egoless nirvana. "The answer will come to you in time my son" wiseman archetype is also very 9w1. In such a reality unnecessary details, pain, and anxiety are either drowned out or work themselves out on their own.

He believes the enneagram is bunk :laugh:, so I can't really discuss it with him, because he tends to go off on how he is totally a 4 because he is emotional, or a 5 because he is intellectual. He never takes it seriously, so I think I'm on my own when it comes to typing. Last time I checked he said he was a 4w6 :blush:

So, 9w1 seems to make the most sense, because under stress, he can become more like 4s and 6s due to disintegration.

So, 9w1s, do you identify with the above and the following descriptions of your type?

Nine Wing One
Average 9/1 has a sort of cloud-like softness. The one-wing adds a flavor of intellectuality, but nine is more powerful, so the 9/1's thoughts are not likely to receive much reality-testing. As a result, 9/1 often has a set of beliefs about the world that may seem superstitious or magical to others. For 9/1, this is no problem, because, strange as it may seem, these magical beliefs often seem to actually work for them. Unlike 9/8, 9/1 has a kind of refinement and poise, because of the one-wing's desire to be perfect. But 9/1 is more likely to lie down and take a nap than the more workaholic 1/9.

Balanced-Transcendent States
Balanced 9/1 somehow becomes more present. Now there is really somebody home, a genuine being with actual goals and self-interest who happily starts creating results in the world. Nine begins to show some threeish ambition and the one-wing begins to loosen up its perfectionism. While such a person is still probably involved in activities that are non-threatening and not particularly visible in the world at large, the results often affect others in ways that are surprisingly useful and subtle.

Advanced 9/1 finds deep sevenish joy in the accomplishment of personal goals. Usually the goals involve teaching or otherwise empowering others. Oneish intellectual rigor assumes real importance when the desire for withdrawal diminishes, allowing 9/1 to risk genuine involvement. Thoughts and internal images finally correspond to actual reality and 9/1 is able to transmit to others a special and powerful kind of integrated self-actualization.

Unbalanced-Unhealthy States
Under stress, nineish withdrawal increases, accompanied by oneish judgment of self and others. 9/1 retreats into a fantasy world inhabited by comfortably fuzzy generalities and stereotyped images of other people. These are the people 9/1 wishes could inhabit the real world -- wishful, perfect images of real people. Unfortunately, because 9/1 is convinced of the reality of these internally generated images, real-life interactions suffer when people do not live up to their idealized images. But the 9/1 tries very hard not to notice.

In the extreme, it becomes nearly impossible not to see the discrepancies between the perfect inner images and the outward reality. Total isolation becomes the only way to avoid seeing that the world is populated by disturbingly imperfect, unpredictable, demanding, untrustworthy beings. Life falls apart at the seams and psychotic 9/1 eventually may reach a state of catatonic pseudo-coma. Even eating and drinking can become too much work. No one is home in the body, and the body itself is allowed to fall into ruins.

The Calling
Some 9/1s find work that lets them use their mind, but in a soft, fuzzy sort of way. Astrologers, palm-readers, crystal healers, puppeteers, storytellers, dressmakers. Others want more intellectual rigor, becoming accountants, naturalists, politicians, librarians, animators, artists, or technical writers. There are 9/1 postal workers (scads of them), literature professors, actors, painters, and a million jobs that nobody ever notices. Of course, 9/1s can also be found doing many other kinds of work.

More questions:
What is your instinctual stacking? And how would you go about finding out the stacking of a 9w1?

I always thought my INFP was sp-first, because of his tendency to withdraw, but I just realized that could be way off, because he has absolutely no plans for the future and seems to be quite impulsive in making life decisions (Not sure if that's just an INFP trait). I'm sp-first and I know I'm obsessed with being safe and prepared, physically and mentally. He is definitely not like that.

He is in a way socially-aware -- he's always worried about what people think of him, but is in no way social or extroverted. He's happier just keeping to himself while keeping a few smooth conflict-free relationships going on. I know he loves to be with the few people he cares about, but finds making new friends very difficult.

He is also a little safety-conscious, or so he claims, but his actions seem say otherwise and most of the time do not really lend to self-preservation at all! He makes impulsive decisions at the last minute, shows up in new places without a place booked, neglects health when under stress, etc. He also always seem to be in perpetually running out of food. :laugh:

So, any thoughts? To be honest I don't really understand 9s yet, because the other types at least seem to have a preoccupation with something. I've read how 9s want union -- but how can that be achieved without really 'going after it', with 9s being all chilled out and all? I'm not looking for really specific answers; I just want to understand 9s a bit more, so please feel free to post anything about how it's like to be a 9, or especially a 9w1 :blush:

Thanks in advance! :hug:

B

brainheart

He sounds quite a bit like me, although I'm pretty into the enneagram...unfortunately ;)

I know you want a more detailed answer. I'll try to later when I have more time.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Take the enneagram test as him.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
He sounds quite a bit like me, although I'm pretty into the enneagram...unfortunately ;)

I know you want a more detailed answer. I'll try to later when I have more time.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to it! :blush:

Take the enneagram test as him.
The thing is I don't think I can do that. The ennneagram deals with basic motivations, so I find it difficult figuring that out, especially when my bf doesn't seem to be very aware of these things himself. In my case, I don't think anyone would ever guess I'm a 4 :laugh: When I asked my friends they all thought I was a 7, because I try to always appear happy and never share my darker feelings.

Where'd you find that description?
Here: http://personalitycafe.com/type-9-forum-peacemaker/39226-enneatype-9-wings.html :)

Enneagram Moonshine 9 stacking

Bliss Stream's Descriptions for the 9w1 Stackings

Type 9 features

What is your bf's underlying emotion? Anger? Fear? "Shame?" Which of the three triads? That might help a little, assuming you know about your bf a bit.
Hmmm, let's see...

- Needs a certain level of acceptance, hates to be seen as 'stupid'
- Has 'dark' emotions, and he usually tests as a 4, because he feels emotions very intensely. In happier times, however, he says things like "I don't think I'm a 4 anymore!
- Hates being separated from people he cares about, and is hurt when people do not want to 'hang out' with him
- Really wants to understand himself (I know 4s do this. For me, however, I seem to love obsessing over myself and I celebrate every little new thing I learn about myself, even flaws. I'm slightly embarrassed to say that I occasionally have some sort of a dramatic narrative about my life. He doesn't do this. Most of the time, he doesn't seem to 'love' himself.)
- Thinks he has 'mental problems' and got into philosophy and psychology because he thought it would help with these 'problems'
- Is prone to regret (might be an INFP thing, though)
- Has boundaries issues -- lets people step over them, then get resentful and angry but tend not to say anything
- Is not proactive about things (from my point of view, he seems to quite often 'let things happen', then makes impulsive decisions that feel very 'flighty' to me, as if he is running away from something)
- His ultimate goal is to have an easy life with a lot of free time
- In an easy life, however, he sometimes thinks he should be doing something better. He wants an academic job.
- Loves intellectually-challenging stuff, and is very smart. His knowledge is deep but not broad. He knows a lot about certain very difficult books, but has almost zero world knowledge :laugh:
- Is usually very kind and gentle, except when he gets angry -- but mostly it's personal issues, like being angry at people who are taking advantage of him, at his life situation, at himself for 'messing up'. He doesn't have that 'righteous anger' about how society should be when he sees bad things on the news, etc.
- Loves and appreciates art and beauty a great deal and sometimes wishes he had gone into arts or literature
- Is very interested in Zen and Taoism and meditation

I let him read the descriptions again, and now he's claiming he's a 5w4 :blush:

Ponyboy

Insert witty line here...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Although I don't know a whole lot about enneagram, the tests I have done always say I'm 9w1 and your last description of your bf sounds an awful lot like me (a few exceptions but overall pretty close!). Not sure if that helped or not :shrug:

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

- Has 'dark' emotions, and he usually tests as a 4, because he feels emotions very intensely. * In happier times, however, he says things like "I don't think I'm a 4 anymore! ***

- Hates being separated from people he cares about, and is hurt when people do not want to 'hang out' with him

- Really wants to understand himself (I know 4s do this. For me, however, I seem to love obsessing over myself and I celebrate every little new thing I learn about myself, even flaws. I'm slightly embarrassed to say that I occasionally have some sort of a dramatic narrative about my life. He doesn't do this. Most of the time, he doesn't seem to 'love' himself.)

- Thinks he has 'mental problems' and got into philosophy and psychology because he thought it would help with these 'problems' ***

- Has boundaries issues -- lets people step over them, then get resentful and angry but tend not to say anything ***

- Is not proactive about things (from my point of view, he seems to quite often 'let things happen', then makes impulsive decisions that feel very 'flighty' to me, as if he is running away from something)** ***

- In an easy life, however, he sometimes thinks he should be doing something better. He wants an academic job.

- Loves intellectually-challenging stuff, and is very smart. His knowledge is deep but not broad. He knows a lot about certain very difficult books,** but has almost zero world knowledge :laugh:

- Is usually very kind and gentle, except when he gets angry -- but mostly it's personal issues, like being angry at people who are taking advantage of him, at his life situation, at himself for 'messing up'. *** He doesn't have that 'righteous anger' about how society should be when he sees bad things on the news, etc. ****More likely to be a 1 for this part of the sentence.

- Loves and appreciates art and beauty a great deal and sometimes wishes he had gone into arts or literature

I let him read the descriptions again, and now he's claiming he's a 5w4 :blush:

*What strikes me as something that might be a 4
**What strikes me as something that might be a 5
***What strikes me as something that might be a 9

Someone taking the test may often mistype between 9w1, 4w5, and 5w4 because the three types are similar. All three types are "withdrawn" types so that they might seem to act similarly. It is often the 9w1 that mistypes as a 4w5 or 5w4.

When I think of 4's and 5's, I think of them as the extreme sides of me with the balance beam being the 9.

But you might want to check with the other 9's around here. As for the parts I didn't touch, I don't think some of them relate too much to a type or some were vague. As for his stacking, you may have to get him to take that part of the test himself.

A

A window to the soul

the tests I have done always say I'm 9w1 and your last description of your bf sounds an awful lot like me (a few exceptions but overall pretty close!). Not sure if that helped or not :shrug:

Sounds accurate.

B

brainheart

I don't ever test as a nine. I test as a 5w4 or 4w5. But, as burning rave said, those seem to be the more extreme parts of my personality. I think I've always idealized and identified with 4w5s, so I like to perceive myself as one, especially since they are supposed to be the bohemian artists and I'm relatively those things. Relative is the operative word here, because-

For the most part I keep my emotions hidden, unless I feel really comfortable around the person and I know I won't hurt their feelings or upset them. I tend to repress then explode. It's different on here to some extent because interactions on here don't affect my ordinary life. I think a nine who doesn't have to be concerned about threats to inner peace will sound more four or five-like... Or if they lose it.

I can't create art/live a life that will upset those I love. This has kept me silent for many years or creating things I'm not all that happy with because they feel disingenuous. As a psychic said to me once, I have sentries guarding my throat.

I lose myself easily in other's interests. I know what I like, what matters to me, but doing what others want seems easier. The disappointment seems to disappear quickly so I forget. Problem is it can resurface years later from the most subtle trigger. But then it usually goes away again. Since I forget so much it makes me think it doesn't really matter.

Whenever I get in an argument, even if I have a very genuine reason to complain, I'm always the first to apologize. If anyone argues in my presence, I feel the need to fix it, make it stop.

I tune out a lot, especially when people raise their voices or lecture.

I can seem very one-like sometimes. I am very much one to get all preachy about disrespect for the natural world or social injustice or behavior I perceive as wrong. But I am also a nf.

As far as instinctual variants go, I don't think a sp nine is necessarily going to play out the way you think it would. A nine wants to avoid conflict and preserve inner peace. A self pres nine will want security, but with that comes the freedom to be able to live a relatively anxiety free life, time to chill, comforting habits and routines. As far as I go, I married someone who makes money so I don't have to work. (its nice that I love him, too.)That way I have lots of time to watch birds, drink my coffee, do crossword puzzles, research the enneagram, read, etc. My need to maintain my peace and security has kept me from getting a job, from developing as a person, in all honesty. Stress and anxiety, not having alone, unstructured time all send me into a panic. So working scares me. It seems counter to my self preservation. If I do get stressed I go into automatic lock down mode, which is this totally withdrawn, retreat in my shell state. I forget how to function and just get really tired, cognitively slow.

The sexual variant, feeling the connection with other people, things, that's what makes me feel alive, feel energized. But if its going to get in the way of my self pres needs, it tends to fade away or be replaced by fantasy.

I related to the descriptions you posted for the most part, by the way.

Hope this epistle helps-

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Although I don't know a whole lot about enneagram, the tests I have done always say I'm 9w1 and your last description of your bf sounds an awful lot like me (a few exceptions but overall pretty close!). Not sure if that helped or not :shrug:

Thanks! :) Just wondering if there is anything on that list that you just cannot relate to at all? Anything that jumps out as being very 'uncharacteristic' for a 9w1?

*What strikes me as something that might be a 4
**What strikes me as something that might be a 5
***What strikes me as something that might be a 9

Someone taking the test may often mistype between 9w1, 4w5, and 5w4 because the three types are similar. All three types are "withdrawn" types so that they might seem to act similarly. It is often the 9w1 that that mistypes as a 4w5 or 5w4.

When I think of 4's and 5's, I think of them as the extreme sides of me with the balance beam being the 9.

But you might want to check with the other 9's around here. As for the parts I didn't touch, I don't think some of them relate too much to a type or some were vague. As for his stacking, you may have to get him to take that part of the test himself.

Thanks! This is really helpful! I'm glad you're seeing some 9-ness too and I'm not just imagining things. I'm a 4w5, and I notice a lot of difference between myself and my bf. I *think* I understand Types 4 and 5 pretty well, and he doesn't seem to be one -- he seems to lack the 'dramatic tragedy' feel of 4s or the greedy 'knowledge hoarding' of 5s. I think the problem is he has strong emotions and 9s are rarely described as such.

And it's helpful that people often confuse 4, 5 and 9 :) At least it seems I'm on the right path...

I don't ever test as a nine. I test as a 5w4 or 4w5. But, as burning rave said, those seem to be the more extreme parts of my personality. I think I've always idealized and identified with 4w5s, so I like to perceive myself as one, especially since they are supposed to be the bohemian artists and I'm relatively those things. Relative is the operative word here, because-

For the most part I keep my emotions hidden, unless I feel really comfortable around the person and I know I won't hurt their feelings or upset them. I tend to repress then explode. It's different on here to some extent because interactions on here don't affect my ordinary life. I think a nine who doesn't have to be concerned about threats to inner peace will sound more four or five-like... Or if they lose it.

I can't create art/live a life that will upset those I love. This has kept me silent for many years or creating things I'm not all that happy with because they feel disingenuous. As a psychic said to me once, I have sentries guarding my throat.

I lose myself easily in other's interests. I know what I like, what matters to me, but doing what others want seems easier. The disappointment seems to disappear quickly so I forget. Problem is it can resurface years later from the most subtle trigger. But then it usually goes away again. Since I forget so much it makes me think it doesn't really matter.

Whenever I get in an argument, even if I have a very genuine reason to complain, I'm always the first to apologize. If anyone argues in my presence, I feel the need to fix it, make it stop.

I tune out a lot, especially when people raise their voices or lecture.

I can seem very one-like sometimes. I am very much one to get all preachy about disrespect for the natural world or social injustice or behavior I perceive as wrong. But I am also a nf.

As far as instinctual variants go, I don't think a sp nine is necessarily going to play out the way you think it would. A nine wants to avoid conflict and preserve inner peace. A self pres nine will want security, but with that comes the freedom to be able to live a relatively anxiety free life, time to chill, comforting habits and routines. As far as I go, I married someone who makes money so I don't have to work. (its nice that I love him, too.)That way I have lots of time to watch birds, drink my coffee, do crossword puzzles, research the enneagram, read, etc. My need to maintain my peace and security has kept me from getting a job, from developing as a person, in all honesty. Stress and anxiety, not having alone, unstructured time all send me into a panic. So working scares me. It seems counter to my self preservation. If I do get stressed I go into automatic lock down mode, which is this totally withdrawn, retreat in my shell state. I forget how to function and just get really tired, cognitively slow.

The sexual variant, feeling the connection with other people, things, that's what makes me feel alive, feel energized. But if its going to get in the way of my self pres needs, it tends to fade away or be replaced by fantasy.

I related to the descriptions you posted for the most part, by the way.

Hope this epistle helps-
Thanks so much for this brainheart! :hug: Your post was very insightful! Your mentioning of 'identifying with other types' gave me another point to think about as well. I think in a way it is true for my bf, because he changes his mind about who he wants to be quite a lot -- and most of the time it has to do with 'role models'. He never has demands -- but does what other people who he is hanging out with want to do, and sometimes ends up doing what the 'group' wants even when he doesn't really want to. And, yes, he really hates conflicts and gets really stressed out when it happens.

It's becoming slightly clearer now. I just want to figure this out so I will know how to make him truly happy... :blush:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Could be the 1 or 5 wing, acceptance makes me think 1 (using external measures). 5s are more elitist know-it-alls who will just see others as stupid if they don't recognize the 5's intelligence.

- Has 'dark' emotions, and he usually tests as a 4, because he feels emotions very intensely. In happier times, however, he says things like "I don't think I'm a 4 anymore!
9s feel intense emotions also, but they prefer to distract themselves from them with fantasy, whereas 4s will feed it with fantasy. 4s seek out the intensity also. They'll purposely read or watch or listen to something that creates a reaction within themselves. 9s will prefer stuff that is more pleasant, providing escapism. That's in general of course.

This is sounding like a social instinct. A mark of the sp-dom is an independent, self-sufficient streak.

- Really wants to understand himself
9s are introspective also. This could be any of the withdrawn types (4,5,9)

- Thinks he has 'mental problems' and got into philosophy and psychology because he thought it would help with these 'problems'

Could be either 9 or 4 (assuming these are the 2 main considerations), but I find 9s more into self-help, because 4s will insist they are not defective, just "different". 4s tend to get into psychology more out of an interest in how the mind & emotions work.

I don't see any direct connection here to a type.

- Has boundaries issues -- lets people step over them, then get resentful and angry but tend not to say anything

Definitely more 9 than 4. 4s may not directly confront people, but they will usually not hide their dismay & will not be as accommodating to begin with. But then, he also sounds like an so-dom.

- Is not proactive about things (from my point of view, he seems to quite often 'let things happen', then makes impulsive decisions that feel very 'flighty' to me, as if he is running away from something)
Probably just being a P.

Sounds more like a 9 goal than a 4 one. 4s will talk more about finding their identity, autonomy, creative expression, etc. 9s seem to value peaceful simplicity.

Could be any type.

- Loves intellectually-challenging stuff, and is very smart. His knowledge is deep but not broad. He knows a lot about certain very difficult books, but has almost zero world knowledge :laugh:
Pretty typical for an INFP to be bookish.

- Is usually very kind and gentle, except when he gets angry -- but mostly it's personal issues, like being angry at people who are taking advantage of him, at his life situation, at himself for 'messing up'. He doesn't have that 'righteous anger' about how society should be when he sees bad things on the news, etc.
4s will appear more subtly moody for no apparent reason at times. Subtle is a keyword though; 4 dramatics is expressed via an artform or something. It's associated with introversion, after all.

That's just being INFP.

Could just be INFP, but yeah, I've noticed 9s are really drawn to that....

I think 9w1 seems right also. I'm not getting 4 out of most of this.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Thanks OA! :blush:

9s feel intense emotions also, but they prefer to distract themselves from them with fantasy, whereas 4s will feed it with fantasy. 4s seek out the intensity also. They'll purposely read or watch or listen to something that creates a reaction within themselves. 9s will prefer stuff that is more pleasant, providing escapism. That's in general of course.
This is a very good point! For me, when I feel bad, I just let myself feel bad by locking myself up in my room, crying and thinking about dying -- until I'm worn out, then I usually feel better, and become indignant about my problems and go the route of "I thought so. No one understands me. I'll deal with my problems alone and you will never even know how bad I feel". So far I've been very self-preservative so nothing truly horrible has happened in my life, so I don't know what I would do in extreme cases.

My bf seems to do otherwise. He will let himself be sad and cry about things -- but being sad won't make him feel better. When he's depressed, he just wants to 'get out' of the situation and tries to distract himself by watching movies, youtube, listening to music, smoking and playing games.

As a 4w5 INFP, how do you deal with negative emotions? Some of the things I listed might be INFP traits so I'm trying to separate the two :)

I think 9w1 seems right also. I'm not getting 4 out of most of this.
Thanks! I think I'm more convinced he's a 9w1 now! :blush:

G

Ginkgo

I'm trying to type my INFP boyfriend, and so far 9w1 seems the closest. The problem is, he doesn't identify with the general happy, peace-loving Type 9 description, but sees elements of himself in Types 1, 4, 5 and 6.

However, he somewhat identifies with this description, and the Taoism bit is right-on!

He believes the enneagram is bunk :laugh:, so I can't really discuss it with him, because he tends to go off on how he is totally a 4 because he is emotional, or a 5 because he is intellectual. He never takes it seriously, so I think I'm on my own when it comes to typing. Last time I checked he said he was a 4w6 :blush:

So, 9w1 seems to make the most sense, because under stress, he can become more like 4s and 6s due to disintegration.

So, 9w1s, do you identify with the above and the following descriptions of your type?

More questions:
What is your instinctual stacking? And how would you go about finding out the stacking of a 9w1?

I always thought my INFP was sp-first, because of his tendency to withdraw, but I just realized that could be way off, because he has absolutely no plans for the future and seems to be quite impulsive in making life decisions (Not sure if that's just an INFP trait). I'm sp-first and I know I'm obsessed with being safe and prepared, physically and mentally. He is definitely not like that.

He is in a way socially-aware -- he's always worried about what people think of him, but is in no way social or extroverted. He's happier just keeping to himself while keeping a few smooth conflict-free relationships going on. I know he loves to be with the few people he cares about, but finds making new friends very difficult.

He is also a little safety-conscious, or so he claims, but his actions seem say otherwise and most of the time do not really lend to self-preservation at all! He makes impulsive decisions at the last minute, shows up in new places without a place booked, neglects health when under stress, etc. He also always seem to be in perpetually running out of food. :laugh:

So, any thoughts? To be honest I don't really understand 9s yet, because the other types at least seem to have a preoccupation with something. I've read how 9s want union -- but how can that be achieved without really 'going after it', with 9s being all chilled out and all? I'm not looking for really specific answers; I just want to understand 9s a bit more, so please feel free to post anything about how it's like to be a 9, or especially a 9w1 :blush:

Thanks in advance! :hug:

Does he have any compulsive means of coping with stress? Does he eat/snack/watch the same shows/etc.? As a strategy to numb themselves, 9s tend to repeat activities to maintain a sense that nothing is disrupting them.

He said he's a 4w6, which indicates he does not have a clear understanding of the system. If he doesn't have a clear understanding, how can he be trusted to type himself correctly? It kind of sucks that he doesn't take interest in it, but maybe the seed of interest will flourish given enough time. Maybe you can find a good way to sell it to him? :D

G

Ginkgo

My bf seems to do otherwise. He will let himself be sad and cry about things -- but being sad won't make him feel better. When he's depressed, he just wants to 'get out' of the situation and tries to distract himself by watching movies, youtube, listening to music, smoking and playing games.

Bingo.

B

brainheart

I'd like to add that I consider scarlett johannsen's character in lost in translation a great example of a infp 9w1 sp/sx, if you want to check it out. But I also think your bf sounds possibly more so/sp or sp/so as oa said. I would never do anything I'm totally against just to get along (just so you know ) and I'm probably more inclined to say no vs yes in order to protect my time alone. Also, I love watching troubling/emotional movies, just not all the time. My guess is the sx variant of any type will be attracted to romantic tragedy- not to mention my tritype- I just don't want it in my real life.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
He said he's a 4w6, which indicates he does not have a clear understanding of the system. If he doesn't have a clear understanding, how can he be trusted to type himself correctly? It kind of sucks that he doesn't take interest in it, but maybe the seed of interest will flourish given enough time. Maybe you can find a good way to sell it to him? :D
I've been trying for two years now, and while he generally believes in the MBTI, he has absolutely no faith in the Enneagram because I won't let him be a 4 :blush:

I'll convince him one of these days...
:pedantic:
(Ooooh, that's cute!)

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'd like to add that I consider scarlett johannsen's character in lost in translation a great example of a infp 9w1 sp/sx, if you want to check it out. But I also think your bf sounds possibly more so/sp or sp/so as oa said. I would never do anything I'm totally against just to get along (just so you know ) and I'm probably more inclined to say no vs yes in order to protect my time alone. Also, I love watching troubling/emotional movies, just not all the time. My guess is the sx variant of any type will be attracted to romantic tragedy- not to mention my tritype- I just don't want it in my real life.

I liked that movie :)

As for the stacking, I still have absolutely no idea where to start. Still can't wrap my mind around the concept of him being 'social', because he is extremely introverted and 'hates people'. I know that's not right. I guess I don't really understand the instinctual variants yet :blush:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
he sounds very 9w1 to me. not 4 at all. and 9 disintegrates to 6, which may explain his "w6."

as for variants, a good question is what is he most preoccupied with? intimate/close relationships and attraction between people, how he fits into society and the bigger picture, or securing his own needs and wants?

B

brainheart

I've been trying for two years now, and while he generally believes in the MBTI, he has absolutely no faith in the Enneagram because I won't let him be a 4 :blush:

I'll convince him one of these days...
:pedantic:
(Ooooh, that's cute!)

The thing is, most nines don't see themselves the way others see them. I showed my husband a summary of the enneagram awhile back and he said, "oh, you're totally a nine." I was in complete shock cause I was certain I was a four. So I convinced myself that he just didn't know the real me, even though we've been together for almost fifteen years. It took awhile for me to come around, but there's no way I would have if he'd tried to convince me. Fyi, most nines hate being lectured or told what to think. We can be pretty stubborn. (i can be, anyway. I hate speaking in 'we's.)