• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 2] No love for type 2's?

Thunderbringer

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Does anyone get the feeling that there aren't a lot of type 2's around? And I'm not only talking about this site or any other in particular, but in real life? I mean, we know that they're around, but I get the feeling that many of them get overlooked for other more "interesting" types. The reason I bring this up is because I've taken to watching movies a lot nowadays and I find that most 2's (which there are hardly any) either end up being unimportant side characters or, most often, obsessive villains. When was the last time we saw a type 2 as a main character or making the headlines? Does anyone else feel the same way? I feel as though it's a very underrepresented type in this day and age.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Hmmm... I think there are plenty of 2s in my real life. Both my mom and my sis have a 2-wing, and I'm pretty sure one of my friends is a 2.

As for fictional characters, I think there are a lot of 2s in the hero role? (The Don't-worry-I-will-save-you-all type?) :)

Ingrid in grids

Yes, you don't seem to see many 2s around, though I have seen some 2 wings. I do remember talking to a member here that was a 2w1, though it was a while ago and I can't remember who it was... I myself am a 1w2. Interestingly I took a test today and came out with 2w1. :)

Ingrid in grids

Ref: The Enneagram Blogspot
MBTI Equivalents for type 2 -
More Common:
ESFJ "The Helper" - Fosters warmth and efficiency to get self and others to get a job done.
ISFJ "The Nurturer" - Sympathetic traditionalists quietly self-sacrificing to get a job done.
ESFP "The Joker" - Sympathetic socialites generously meeting needs in a fun, lively way.
ENFJ "The Sage" - Able communicators who facilitate interpersonal sensitivity.
ENFP "The Visionary" - Love the fluid and changing, expressing creativity and charisma.

Quite Common:
INFP "The Dreamer" - Desire their world to be in line with their inner ideal vision.

We do have very few ESFJs, ISFJs, ESFPs and ENFJs on the forum, come to think of it.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
We do have very few ESFJs, ISFJs, ESFPs and ENFJs on the forum, come to think of it.

Because they're probably out helping people in the real world? :laugh:

Chloe

it's the rarest type, actually. but many women are mistyped as 2s.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
2 is the rarest type?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's a lot of speculation going on in this thread.
Any hard data?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it's the rarest type, actually. but many women are mistyped as 2s.

that is SO not true. I know tons of 2s. the rarest types are 5, 4 and 8

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Does anyone get the feeling that there aren't a lot of type 2's around? And I'm not only talking about this site or any other in particular, but in real life? I mean, we know that they're around, but I get the feeling that many of them get overlooked for other more "interesting" types. The reason I bring this up is because I've taken to watching movies a lot nowadays and I find that most 2's (which there are hardly any) either end up being unimportant side characters or, most often, obsessive villains. When was the last time we saw a type 2 as a main character or making the headlines? Does anyone else feel the same way? I feel as though it's a very underrepresented type in this day and age.

I agree. It seems like it would be a common type, but probably not as much in this age of individualism and liberty. (I was going to make a thread about most common enneagrams on this forum, seems like we have a heavy load of fours.)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
2s get overlooked because they are weak and overly dependent on people. their overlly altruistic tendencies often keep them from achieving power, money or success. they're around it'sjust that no one wants to be one

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
2s get overlooked because they are weak and overly dependent on people. their overlly altruistic tendencies often keep them from achieving power, money or success. they're around it'sjust that no one wants to be one

Underlined: The well-developed - or severely unhealthy - ones aren't weak - especially since "pride" is their Enneagram vice.

Bolded: Yeah, they can get pretty clingy - my ESFJ 2(w3?) dad is living proof. But the introverted ones can be less so.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
2s are lovable.

And don't forget that the virtue of type 2 is Liberty. Many of them are among the most free people of the world. I know a few who are libertarians, and they are totally like that. I think they are moderateley currents but not rares. Like 8. 4 and 5 are truly rares.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Ouch!

We're out there, floating around. It is as you said though, Senor Elfboy, our altruistic tendencies tend to have us getting walked all over and ignored.

It's actually one of the biggest things I struggle with - being taken advantage of and not allowing others to abuse me.

Your last sentence is wrong though: I love being a Type 2 :wubbie:

Underlined: The well-developed - or severely unhealthy - ones aren't weak - especially since "pride" is their Enneagram vice.

Bolded: Yeah, they can get pretty clingy - my ESFJ 2(w3?) dad is living proof. But the introverted ones can be less so.

Oy vey...

Clinginess is something I do often feel but something I work -VERY- hard at hiding as I know that it's an undesirable social quality. There might be a time when I'm thinking, 'PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME, PLEASE DON'T STOP PAYING ATTENTION TO ME!!" but I know that's about as sexy as a fart in church so I don't do that.

Pride though...that's a whole other ball of wax which I'll have to post about later.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

From who's standpoint? Too many generalizations here, for sure.

ALL people are weak and overly-dependent on people. ALL people need other people in some capacity. At least I've never seen any who didn't. If a 2 isfj needs people to take care of, an 8 entj needs people to manage. That doesn't mean that the 2 nurse can't make the same salary as the 8 manager. They can and do.

Your assessment only works if the person assessing it believes that altruistic tendencies make for a weak person, which I don't agree with. "Power" is in the eye of the beholder, and "money" is only good for people who care to have it. As far as "success", it is understood by the person who set the goal and is trying to achieve it.

If money is a person's only drive in life (which it is NOT for at least 99% of us), then it's not that hard to get. It's the other things that make it more difficult (like personality, ego, superego).

You assume that everyone views the world as you do, and that somehow, everyone agrees on what your ideas of "success", "money", and "power" are. That couldn't be farther from the truth.

I think when viewing a 2 and an 8, and any other type, we have to keep in mind that we tend to view people in the way that they sell themselves, and not by reality. Our views are distorted by what they present to us, much as our own views of ourselves are distorted by personality and enneagram.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From who's standpoint? Too many generalizations here, for sure.

ALL people are weak and overly-dependent on people. ALL people need other people in some capacity. At least I've never seen any who didn't. If a 2 isfj needs people to take care of, an 8 entj needs people to manage. That doesn't mean that the 2 nurse can't make the same salary as the 8 manager. They can and do.
1) altruism is the belief that one should place the needs of others before there own. it goes the other way too. altruistic people who are poor believe that they are entitled to be helped/given to by people better off than them. some of the most altruistic people on earth are homeless. in actuality, the ISFJ nurse who makes a large salary is probably not very altruistic
2) 8s usually don't get hired as managers (some companies will even blatantly tell you that)
3) that point aside, managing people is an example of interdependence, not dependence. interdependence is not weak, dependence is

Your assessment only works if the person assessing it believes that altruistic tendencies make for a weak person, which I don't agree with. "Power" is in the eye of the beholder, and "money" is only good for people who care to have it. As far as "success", it is understood by the person who set the goal and is trying to achieve it.
I never stated otherwise

If money is a person's only drive in life (which it is NOT for at least 99% of us), then it's not that hard to get. It's the other things that make it more difficult (like personality, ego, superego).
I never stated otherwise, not even as my own motivation

You assume that everyone views the world as you do, or that somehow, everyone agrees on what your ideas of "success", "money", and "power" are. That couldn't be farther from the truth.
I do not assume that

I think when viewing a 2 and an 8, and any other type, we have to keep in mind that we tend to view people in the way that they sell themselves, and not by reality. Our views are distorted by what they present to us, much as our own views of ourselves are distorted by personality and enneagram.
fair enough, but my view hasn't changed. I still see the vast majority of 2s as weak and dependent. obviously, there are several exceptions

knight

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
a balance somewhere between giving and being selfish is the better then being purely selfish, or being self sacrificing.

2`s are great. I know a few. often I have to remind them to not forget themselves or their own personal desire.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
balance between giving and being selfish is the better then being purely selfish

exactly, but it starts with being selfish. being altruistic is like giving away your seeds before you collect the harvest. selfishness is sustainable, selflessness needs to everyone becoming poor. giving is well and good, but giving because you WANT to, not because you feel like you have to.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I hope I didn't come across as condescending, Tinker... :blush: I was just providing a counterpoint to Elfboy's claim.

Healthy Twos FTW! :heart: