First 1234 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbringer View Post
    Does anyone get the feeling that there aren't a lot of type 2's around? And I'm not only talking about this site or any other in particular, but in real life? I mean, we know that they're around, but I get the feeling that many of them get overlooked for other more "interesting" types. The reason I bring this up is because I've taken to watching movies a lot nowadays and I find that most 2's (which there are hardly any) either end up being unimportant side characters or, most often, obsessive villains. When was the last time we saw a type 2 as a main character or making the headlines? Does anyone else feel the same way? I feel as though it's a very underrepresented type in this day and age.
    I agree. It seems like it would be a common type, but probably not as much in this age of individualism and liberty. (I was going to make a thread about most common enneagrams on this forum, seems like we have a heavy load of fours.)
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

2s get overlooked because they are weak and overly dependent on people. their overlly altruistic tendencies often keep them from achieving power, money or success. they're around it'sjust that no one wants to be one
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    2s get overlooked because they are weak and overly dependent on people. their overlly altruistic tendencies often keep them from achieving power, money or success. they're around it'sjust that no one wants to be one
    Underlined: The well-developed - or severely unhealthy - ones aren't weak - especially since "pride" is their Enneagram vice.

Bolded: Yeah, they can get pretty clingy - my ESFJ 2(w3?) dad is living proof. But the introverted ones can be less so.

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

2s are lovable.

And don't forget that the virtue of type 2 is Liberty. Many of them are among the most free people of the world. I know a few who are libertarians, and they are totally like that. I think they are moderateley currents but not rares. Like 8. 4 and 5 are truly rares.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Ouch!

We're out there, floating around. It is as you said though, Senor Elfboy, our altruistic tendencies tend to have us getting walked all over and ignored.

It's actually one of the biggest things I struggle with - being taken advantage of and not allowing others to abuse me.

Your last sentence is wrong though: I love being a Type 2

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Underlined: The well-developed - or severely unhealthy - ones aren't weak - especially since "pride" is their Enneagram vice.

Bolded: Yeah, they can get pretty clingy - my ESFJ 2(w3?) dad is living proof. But the introverted ones can be less so.
    Oy vey...

Clinginess is something I do often feel but something I work -VERY- hard at hiding as I know that it's an undesirable social quality. There might be a time when I'm thinking, 'PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME, PLEASE DON'T STOP PAYING ATTENTION TO ME!!" but I know that's about as sexy as a fart in church so I don't do that.

Pride though...that's a whole other ball of wax which I'll have to post about later.
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

From who's standpoint? Too many generalizations here, for sure.

ALL people are weak and overly-dependent on people. ALL people need other people in some capacity. At least I've never seen any who didn't. If a 2 isfj needs people to take care of, an 8 entj needs people to manage. That doesn't mean that the 2 nurse can't make the same salary as the 8 manager. They can and do.

Your assessment only works if the person assessing it believes that altruistic tendencies make for a weak person, which I don't agree with. "Power" is in the eye of the beholder, and "money" is only good for people who care to have it. As far as "success", it is understood by the person who set the goal and is trying to achieve it.

If money is a person's only drive in life (which it is NOT for at least 99% of us), then it's not that hard to get. It's the other things that make it more difficult (like personality, ego, superego).

You assume that everyone views the world as you do, and that somehow, everyone agrees on what your ideas of "success", "money", and "power" are. That couldn't be farther from the truth.

I think when viewing a 2 and an 8, and any other type, we have to keep in mind that we tend to view people in the way that they sell themselves, and not by reality. Our views are distorted by what they present to us, much as our own views of ourselves are distorted by personality and enneagram.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    From who's standpoint? Too many generalizations here, for sure.

ALL people are weak and overly-dependent on people. ALL people need other people in some capacity. At least I've never seen any who didn't. If a 2 isfj needs people to take care of, an 8 entj needs people to manage. That doesn't mean that the 2 nurse can't make the same salary as the 8 manager. They can and do.
    1) altruism is the belief that one should place the needs of others before there own. it goes the other way too. altruistic people who are poor believe that they are entitled to be helped/given to by people better off than them. some of the most altruistic people on earth are homeless. in actuality, the ISFJ nurse who makes a large salary is probably not very altruistic
    2) 8s usually don't get hired as managers (some companies will even blatantly tell you that)
    3) that point aside, managing people is an example of interdependence, not dependence. interdependence is not weak, dependence is

Your assessment only works if the person assessing it believes that altruistic tendencies make for a weak person, which I don't agree with. "Power" is in the eye of the beholder, and "money" is only good for people who care to have it. As far as "success", it is understood by the person who set the goal and is trying to achieve it.
    I never stated otherwise

If money is a person's only drive in life (which it is NOT for at least 99% of us), then it's not that hard to get. It's the other things that make it more difficult (like personality, ego, superego).
    I never stated otherwise, not even as my own motivation

You assume that everyone views the world as you do, or that somehow, everyone agrees on what your ideas of "success", "money", and "power" are. That couldn't be farther from the truth.
    I do not assume that

I think when viewing a 2 and an 8, and any other type, we have to keep in mind that we tend to view people in the way that they sell themselves, and not by reality. Our views are distorted by what they present to us, much as our own views of ourselves are distorted by personality and enneagram.
    fair enough, but my view hasn't changed. I still see the vast majority of 2s as weak and dependent. obviously, there are several exceptions
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

a balance somewhere between giving and being selfish is the better then being purely selfish, or being self sacrificing.

2`s are great. I know a few. often I have to remind them to not forget themselves or their own personal desire.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by knight View Post
    balance between giving and being selfish is the better then being purely selfish
    exactly, but it starts with being selfish. being altruistic is like giving away your seeds before you collect the harvest. selfishness is sustainable, selflessness needs to everyone becoming poor. giving is well and good, but giving because you WANT to, not because you feel like you have to.
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!

MBTI
    IsFJ

I hope I didn't come across as condescending, Tinker... I was just providing a counterpoint to Elfboy's claim.

Healthy Twos FTW!