• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 8] Do 8's have hard lives?

Norqs

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah. I can totally buy 8w9's as more toned-down than the descriptions give credit for, like quiet strength. But 8w7's?? Explain yourselves, please.

Here's the thing... us 8s never feel the need to explain ourselves, especially to someone we don't care about!😆

Norqs

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It may be more accurate to say that 8's tend to have intense lives, rather than hard. I would suspect that some struggle and conflict would energize an 8. To have an easy, pastorale, sunlit path might actually be a deterrent to someone whose inspiration is drawn from the struggle to climb a mountain.

Absofuckinglotely! You only live once so make sure you do something you love, are good at, or work at finding it!

á´…eparted

passages
Here's the thing... us 8s never feel the need to explain ourselves, especially to someone we don't care about!😆

This is something I have consistently noticed about 8's and have also been told directly so by several 8's. If you aren't in their inner circle, they do not care, or think about you. They've described themselves about more or less hoarding their resources for only things that matter.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
This is something I have consistently noticed about 8's and have also been told directly so by several 8's. If you aren't in their inner circle, they do not care, or think about you. They've described themselves about more or less hoarding their resources for only things that matter.

Here's the thing. Mature, more healthy 8's do not approach things this way. A healthy 8 would have no issue explaining themselves, fleshing out ideas and being held accountable. But I agree, many of them hoard. Regardless of what they're hoarding, it's not a healthy condition. I also think lots of self-identified 8's are not 8's, you see this more in males. But oh do they want to be.

á´…eparted

passages
Here's the thing. Mature, more healthy 8's do not approach things this way. A healthy 8 would have no issue explaining themselves, fleshing out ideas and being held accountable. But I agree, many of them hoard. Regardless of what they're hoarding, it's not a healthy condition. I also think lots of self-identified 8's are not 8's, you see this more in males. But oh do they want to be.

Yep. I mean, on the surface it has the "ugh. me tough. me man!" appearance. Many people are insecure so it makes sense why they would want to be 8's, but want does not make.

I don't think it's natural for 8's to want to explain themselves though. My PhD adviser was an 8, and despite us in his lab unquestionably being in his inner circle, it was obvious that when he had to explain himself for his behavior, actions, etc. it was a strain and he felt he shouldn't have to do it. He did do it though.

You are right though, they need to learn to share their resources more. They evolve to 2 afterall.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Yep. I mean, on the surface it has the "ugh. me tough. me man!" appearance. Many people are insecure so it makes sense why they would want to be 8's, but want does not make.

I don't think it's natural for 8's to want to explain themselves though. My PhD adviser was an 8, and despite us in his lab unquestionably being in his inner circle, it was obvious that when he had to explain himself for his behavior, actions, etc. it was a strain and he felt he shouldn't have to do it. He did do it though.

You are right though, they need to learn to share their resources more. They evolve to 2 afterall.

I think for some 8's, this plays into the self-preservation dominance. That in itself can easily become a fixation and lead to hoarding tenancies. And some self-identified 8's, the ones who prove day in and day out that loyalty is all that matters, are 6's. The reason I think this is because they aren't looking for partnerships, they aren't that interested in ability either and they certainly can't bear being told they're wrong. They can't stand on their own so they must have loyal others to prop them up. They think they're leaders simply because an enneagram type says they are? How fucking mental is that?

A far as explaining themselves, I don't think it's natural at all (it's not for me) and many can't articulate an idea or thought if their life depended on it. Add in someone of the introverted persuasion and it can be really bad. But they can learn. They can accomplish anything if they want it enough or find it a "worthy" pursuit.