User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do 8's have hard lives?

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Jelly View Post
    I think you're black labeling all 8s as unhealthy. Yes I admit sometimes I do lose my cool but I try very hard to remain civil and maintain common human decency. I have only meet one person who was a 3. She was the most assbackwards, unhealthy, drama-starting person I have met. Do I assume all 3s are like this? No. there are assholes and douches of every type, race, sexual orientation and ethnicity. I will say though as an 8 I do tend to piss off a lot of people with my honesty. But when eights are healthy don't they go into 2s? I very much so see myself like this, but when angered... beware, lol. Overall I wouldn't say we make life harder for ourselves. I personally think people just need to get thicker skinned and not sweat the small stuff as much.
    But the reality is that people are oversensitive, and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

As for losing my cool...I have never, (at least since I was a bratty 7 year old) ever lost my cool in front of people. Well, I take that back. I do get short/terse and answer with smartass remarks if someone really makes me lose patience. But as far as swearing/yelling/namecalling or showing visible anger? If I did that even once, there's no recovering from it. I'd be done for. Forever known as some psycho who threw a tantrum. Who would respect that? No one. They'd just recommend a good mental hospital. So I keep myself reeled in...

Again, I'm not judging you or anything. Just putting my reasoning out there.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

Senior Member Array Agent Jelly's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    But the reality is that people are oversensitive, and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

As for losing my cool...I have never, (at least since I was a bratty 7 year old) ever lost my cool in front of people. Well, I take that back. I do get short/terse and answer with smartass remarks if someone really makes me lose patience. But as far as swearing/yelling/namecalling or showing visible anger? If I did that even once, there's no recovering from it. I'd be done for. Forever known as some psycho who threw a tantrum. Who would respect that? No one. They'd just recommend a good mental hospital. So I keep myself reeled in...

Again, I'm not judging you or anything. Just putting my reasoning out there.
    sounds like you just dont like 8s. or you take everything waaaayyyy to literal.

MBTI
    GONE

As soon as I saw the title in the question I was gonna answer 'No, but 8's make lives hard for OTHER people'

Hwahwahwahwaha.

:wipes tears of laughter from her eyes:
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

They eschew the notion of caring whether people like or hate them, only about being right/efficient/boss - but doesn't it make life an uphill battle?

Not only are people not going to jump to your aid (slowing/stalling your progress) - people can join together and oust you or backstab you.

Isn't it better to simply be diplomatic and assertive (not aggressive) and appeal to human psychology instead of stubborn insistance and intimidation?

You can get the same result...but faster, more surely, and lasting.

With the way I read about 8 behavior, I'd imagine that it'd be difficult for them to do anything - that everything they do, they have to struggle for. Whereas a 3 might be able to have people eager to move mountains for them. Less time struggling, more accomplishing. More efficient.
    I don't know. I guess it depends on whether or not other aspects of their personality are in conflict.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

They eschew the notion of caring whether people like or hate them, only about being right/efficient/boss - but doesn't it make life an uphill battle?

Not only are people not going to jump to your aid (slowing/stalling your progress) - people can join together and oust you or backstab you.

Isn't it better to simply be diplomatic and assertive (not aggressive) and appeal to human psychology instead of stubborn insistance and intimidation?

With the way I read about 8 behavior, I'd imagine that it'd be difficult for them to do anything - that everything they do, they have to struggle for. Whereas a 3 might be able to have people eager to move mountains for them. Less time struggling, more accomplishing. More efficient.
    First of all, not all 8s all aggressive bullheaded pricks as you described.

Like what Jenaphor has described, if you want to tag along, fine. If not, it's cool.

You're describing professional life. Professional life =/= life at home =/= quality of overall life.
    E2 - Eb4 - E5

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    xntj

To me, the ends justify the means. I like fast and efficient - and that's by appealing to human psychology. There's really no lying or BS to it - just ways of wording things and taking the reigns. "May I make a suggestion?" instead of "THIS IS WHAT EVERYONE'S GOING TO DO. LISTEN UP". If someone screws up, I say "Next time, try blahblahblahblah" instead of "YOU'RE FIRED, YOU FUCKING MORON. GET OUTTA HERE".

Also, remembering to say my "please" and "thanks". All of this could be my Fe though.

(Of course, I'm comparing a healthy 3 approach to an unhealthy 8 approach, but can you tell me what a healthy 8 would say in those two situations? Because I'm honestly not sure.)

Although, your explanation on what control in your life entails does clarify. That's pretty much my attitude as well - I don't really care what you do, but if you're going to be in my life, be of assistance, be a team-player or get out of the way. In a nicer way of course.
    Hmm...looks like you've edited this post a great deal since I responded to it the first time. How 3!

The first paragraph made me laugh! Pretty standard practice for management positions to treat employees with a reasonable level of respect, at least within professional environments beyond the legal profession and some doctors to their "underlings". A manager who has anger management issues is rarely one who lasts long or moves upwards very far, within white collar environments. Anger management issues and incompetence aren't the sole domain of 8's.

Please and thank-you's? This is common courtesy. Some people are raised with it, others aren't. Now you're being ridiculous.

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Whateverrr...

I'm pretty new to enneagram & I don't think I know any 8's, so I'm starting from square one here.

Seems the description exaggerate you then. That's why I'm here, to have any resulting misconceptions cleared up.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

Senior Member Array Agent Jelly's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Please and thank-you's? This is common courtesy. Some people are raised with it, others aren't. Now you're being ridiculous.
    Common courtesy that isn't so common. This is actually one of my biggest pet peeves, lack of manners.

The best description I ever read of the ennegram type 8 was when I took the paid test from the enneagram institute. I really wish I could post it for you but when my yahoo account was hacked in Feb. I lost the results. A lot of the free descriptions are crap, but that one really put into words what I was never able to into words about myself. I would recommend looking up some famous type 8s. Martin Luther King, Jr. for example was an 8...

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    xntj

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Jelly View Post
    Common courtesy that isn't so common. This is actually one of my biggest pet peeves, lack of manners.

The best description I ever read of the ennegram type 8 was when I took the paid test from the enneagram institute. I really wish I could post it for you but when my yahoo account was hacked in Feb. I lost the results. A lot of the free descriptions are crap, but that one really put into words what I was never able to into words about myself. I would recommend looking up some famous type 8s. Martin Luther King, Jr. for example was an 8...
    Any chance you could approach them for a copy of your paid results? Many companies retain closed file client records for up to seven years to abide by the longest legal term requirements since the term can fluctuate from none to seven years, reliant on jurisdiction.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I certainly don't want to be the boss if I feel leadership is competent. I want to be in control of myself and my own environment. I do not like anyone walking in and telling me this is how it's gonna be - just like, I'm sure you don't like it. Diplomacy is something that's learned over time and not every 8 will get good at it but I am sure most see it ends up being the most efficient way to handle things and people.

As far as people liking or hating us, I think that's only applicable to the people closest to them. That doesn't mean we go out of our way to make people hate us but it depends on the person and their relevancy in our lives. My ex-husband probably hates me but he has no bearing on my life, for example. I truly don't care.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Wind Up Rex liked this post

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast