First 5678917 Last

Thread: Cool 3w4s?

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I read somewhere once that 4s can develop 8-like behaviors. But I wonder how 4 ties in with how you express things from the "gut," and have done so since you were little.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Chloé View Post
    if we're going by what you just wrote i am 3w2 more than 3w4.

and i dont judge people for their inferior traits. so cant relate to this... i am more like: my main goal in everything in life is to be The Best. 60% the best is what others think is the best, and 40% I define what is the best (for example, if getting an A in boring course is considered the best, i'll rather be the cool one and get a B with least amount of studying and in my own eyes i will be the best in the story because i know i could get A if i studied).
    sorry if that was a little harsh, I was describing lower level 3w2s. for me, it's about 98% what I think is the best. I want to do what I think is impressive, classy, successful, but I want people to know I did it. perhaps you're right and this is 4w3 as opposed to 3w4
    PS: so is what your saying basically that you're motivated a lot by what other people think is cool, but you care more about knowing you can do it than actually doing it and being able to brag about it?
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    the difference between 3w4 and 3w2 is that for 3w2 it's all about "how do I impress my friends? what's popular? what kind of cool stuff can I get/do?" for 3w4s, status is more of an idea. they still want attention, but only the best kind from the best people. the concern is more on "being" superior than "looking" superior.
    No. 3w4s are like 3w2s, they are focused on success that they can perform, they easily know what look "superior". But hardly what "being" superior means. 3w4s want more than 3w2s to be "special" like 4s. But the difference with 4w3s is that they actually try to "do" something special while 4w3s really try to "feel" special. 3w4s identify with what they do, 4w3s with their feelings. 3w4s are "human doing" in their style, 4w3s are "human feeling" in their style.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

sorry if that was a little harsh, I was describing lower level 3w2s. for me, it's about 98% what I think is the best. I want to do what I think is impressive, classy, successful, but I want people to know I did it. perhaps you're right and this is 4w3 as opposed to 3w4
    PS: so is what your saying basically that you're motivated a lot by what other people think is cool, but you care more about knowing you can do it than actually doing it and being able to brag about it?
    i think my unhealthy tendency is to want to please what others want. for example, i had to pick psychology school (there are 2 colleges in my city), and i picked less popular one bc i had better vibe about it (more relaxed, easy going crowd, also, i get to be the best there without less effort than in more classy one ), but again, i am a bit bothered that some people think i didnt get into more popular one so i want them to know that i chose less popular one, and not that i had to go there
    so i want both.. but those are unhealthy tendencies, of course i have to do in the end what i want for myself in order to be happy.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Chloé View Post
    did you read "inner child" of each type ?

you look like you want to be special... much more 4 than 3 (fuck the wings!)
    sort of, I want to be "superior" but superior on my own terms. essentially, I'm a 3 except I am trying to impress/give attention to myself (narcissistic I know lol)
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    I read somewhere once that 4s can develop 8-like behaviors. But I wonder how 4 ties in with how you express things from the "gut," and have done so since you were little.
    1 connection
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

1 connection
    Hmmm. Nope. 1s only express their instincts indirectly, in the manner of reforming others or society in general. 8s express their instincts directly and aggressively.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

That's why these threads are so confusing. I can abandon the idea of 6w5 (my ego isn't centered around that idea) and go back to 8w9. Your bio states that at one point, before the 8th grade, you went into withdrawal in order to think about your social problems. That describes the 8 stressing to point 5. And the 8w9 (the Bear) resonates with the 3w4 (the Professional).

http://business.nmsu.edu/~dboje/teac..._enneagram.jpg

http://www.9types.com/writeup/enneagram.html
    Edit: "Motivators (3s) and 8s are both competitive, and both push others to get get things done. But 3s goals tend to be oriented around building their positive self-image, while 8s prefer to be respected, even if this means being disliked or even hated."

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    SEE

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    I do think Lisa Simpson is an 1w2, though, with her always being "the perfect student" and "doing The Right Thing" and whatnot... Maybe I haven't watched enough of the show, though.
    A 1's emphasis is on moral consistency. 3's to a greater extent try to embody PERSONAL perfection. Does anybody remember the "Lisa's Rival" episode?

"Lisa's Rival" is the second episode of The Simpsons' sixth season, and originally aired September 11, 1994. It was the first episode to be written by Mike Scully, and was directed by Mark Kirkland. Winona Ryder guest stars as Allison Taylor, a new student at Springfield Elementary School. Lisa Simpson begins to feel threatened by Allison because she is smarter, younger and a better saxophone player than she is. Their rivalry reaches a climax at the school's diorama contest, as Lisa plans to sabotage Allison's entry.
    But to be clear, that isn't to say that 3's all sabotage-- it's just one example of how competitiveness can manifest.

it's possible to be a 3w4 and NOT care what others think? hmm
    still, I don't really relate to the feeling useless if nothing gets done. my question is, why does one need to have a use. why is useless such a bad thing?
    There's a difference between needing to feel useful and be acknowledged for the shit you do, and living for admiration.

If a tree falls in a forest and nobody heard it, did it really fall? If you lived your entire life and nobody knew you, did you really exist or matter? It's not quite the same thing, but the perspective is similar. To a 3, BEING great doesn't mean shit if you don't DO great things.

Following, I have two relevant quotes; one from John Green and one a dialogue from Kyle XY between its namesake and his counterpart.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? How very odd, to believe God gave you life, and yet not think that life asks more of you than watching TV.
    Jessi: I did something this morning that someone saw.
    And by this afternoon, she had told three friends.
    And if those three friends tell three more, by this weekend, I'll have half of Seattle in my backyard waiting for me to do something extraordinary.
    What's so wrong with that?

Kyle: Because then I won't be able to relax in my backyard. I won't be able to enjoy a quiet breakfast with my family or a walk in the park with Amanda.
    I wanna figure out what I'm gonna do with my life without people watching me, always waiting to see what I might do.

Jessi: At least people would notice you.

Kyle: Jessi, life shouldn't be about getting noticed.

Jessi: Look around.
    That girl over there tosses her hair every time a new guy walks into the room.
    And those guys? They're pretending to read magazines. But really they're waiting to see if the girl wiping the counter is looking at them.
    And the girl wiping the counter is wearing a shirt that's two sizes too small so that the magazine guys will watch her.
    Hillary's decided to make a career out of being fabulous because girls that look just like her are on most of the covers of the magazines they sell here.
    So do you really think that life isn't about getting noticed?
    Btw:
    I friggin hate 3s! they're emotionally weak... dependent on others...
    Uhm, no. Emphasis on versatility and self-sufficiency is emotional weakness or co-dependency? Not quite.
    insecure
    Happens in all types. Not 3-specific.
    fake... and shallow.
    I'm more real than most of the fucktards at my school, and I'm to other students an icon of not just raising the bar and pushing myself, but also noncomformity as a side effect of having been true to myself and standing my ground, whether for my causes, or for myself in the face of bullshit.

And no, I'm certainly not posting in this thread just so you can feel better about yourself. But if someone wants to make an argument that I'm not a 3 or ISTP, I'll happily make a "type me" thread.
    ISTP 3w2 SX/SO

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Also:
    8s with 9 wings are an interesting subtype. The 9 wing considerably softens the traits of the 8, making the 8w9 much harder to recognize and understand than a pure 8. Don Riso notes that the 8w9 often holds their power "in reserve". 8w9s are often underestimated, because they can look like mild-mannered 9s one day, only to unleash their aggressive 8 side the next.
    http://www.9types.com/writeup/enneagram.html