• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 9] Is 9w8 less trusting than 9w1?

Goosebump

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
I'm 9w8 and I don't think I'm as super trusting of people and ideas as some descriptions of 9 seem to portray. Could it be that the wing 8 adds the need to have things under control, and thus be more cautious of things in general?

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yeah, i think the 8 wing would give them a bigger need to be independent so there may be less of the merging with other people aspect of 9.

A

A window to the soul

I think 8 is more like throwing caution to the wind.

Control != Caution

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think the wing 8 make 9s quicker to realise when people are abusing of them, or are untrustworthy. However, they still candid, trusting and merging when they meet people at first.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
No. Just when you lose the trust and cross the line, the transgression will be recorded and reparations will be required. Though as soon as the situation is over I'm usually back to 9 and so would trust an axe murderer again....apparently. Only to other's do I seem too trusting, to me it's a calculation of risk and an assessment of character. Simple probability.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the trusting nature of nines would be the same regardless of wing. The 8 wing might be more obviously trusting though.

wolfy

awsm
I don't know how it'd make a difference. An 8 wing would lead you to trust yourself I guess. I like that idea, trust yourself.

Goosebump

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
I think the trusting nature of nines would be the same regardless of wing. The 8 wing might be more obviously trusting though.

Can you explain why would that be?

I think the wing 8 make 9s quicker to realise when people are abusing of them, or are untrustworthy. However, they still candid, trusting and merging when they meet people at first.

Yeah, I usually trust people until I feel a certain vibe from them that give me a reason not to do so. I'm pretty observant of people's body language so if someone seems shifty, I usually notice that.

I don't know how it'd make a difference. An 8 wing would lead you to trust yourself I guess. I like that idea, trust yourself.

Yeah, same here. Follow your own gut feeling.
I do think I trust myself about my own impression of people.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nope. I am hardly the person you would call the overly trusting type.

I trust myself and my impressions of people.

It might just be because the 1 wing makes it a bit harder to tell whether you have lost my trust or not.

Goosebump

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Nope. I am hardly the person you would call the overly trusting type.

I trust myself and my impressions of people.

It might just be because the 1 wing makes it a bit harder to tell whether you have lost my trust or not.

This is how I feel too. And what you said about wing 1 makes sense.
So I guess wing has little to do with the trusting level.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Only more obviously trusting because they are more extraverted (ie. it would be more obvious to everyone else). I know I trust people a bit too much, I might leave all of my valuables with strangers, my car unlocked, drive someone I don't even know home etc. I just assume that peoples intentions are always good, even when signs say that they aren't actually good people. Not sure if I'm an 8 or a 1 wing, and I don't care, I think they're both the same fundamentally.

Limit

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
This depends on where the trust is being placed.

Is the trust being placed on subjective rules and morality, or is it being placed on objective rules and morality? Subjective and objective in Jungian terms, not the "Everything is subjective", subjective/objective. :p

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This depends on where the trust is being placed.

Is the trust being placed on subjective rules and morality, or is it being placed on objective rules and morality? Subjective and objective in Jungian terms, not the "Everything is subjective", subjective/objective. :p

Can you explain that further?

Limit

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Can you explain that further?

1s have a sense of internal (subjective) "perfectness" that is related to some type of outwardly (objective) standards they've adopted. They subordinate themselves to that external archetype (rules, friends, customs, etc) and view it as "perfect". External measures (objective) get placed internally, then projected back outwardly. 1s are those, in the alternating attitudes psychological type system (ie TeNiSeFi), that would have a dom or strong auxiliary, rational functions of the external attitude (Te, Fe). You're just not going to see a Type 1 ENFP.

8s have a sense of external vindication or justice that is related to some type of inward standard. They rely on their personal archetypes and view them as the real means and disregard external measures that don't fit with their internal standards. Conversely to type 1, they are subordinated by their internal convictions and the "truth" that they created. In the Jungian cognitive styles, this would fit those with strong introverted rational functions like Fi and Ti.

Now, that doesn't mean that 8s can't be Te/Fe. This "vindication or justice" is only half of the ego. There's also the emotional schema of 8s that involves lust.

So how does this deal with trust? The 8 will you trust you more if you fit their internal beliefs more, while a 1 will trust you more if you uphold their external standards more.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
9w1s probably worry a lot more about whether they can trust someone or not.

9w8s aren't exactly the worrying type.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
9w1s probably worry a lot more about whether they can trust someone or not.

9w8s aren't exactly the worrying type.

I don't think 9s are exactly the worrying type :huh:

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Seems like, he got 9 mixed up with 6? Unless he was going on about disintegration.

Definitely heard the two types are similar. I thought Silkroad was a 9w1 for sure, turned out to be 6w5. A disintegrating 9 would trust too much right? or would they be like an unhealthy six and become super paranoid and think everybody hates them, they don't exist and then stop trusting anyone? hmmm...

Pretty sure this thread can almost be closed now that Limit has spoken, lol.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Definitely heard the two types are similar. I thought Silkroad was a 9w1 for sure, turned out to be 6w5. A disintegrating 9 would trust too much right? or would they be like an unhealthy six and become super paranoid and think everybody hates them, they don't exist and then stop trusting anyone? hmmm...

Pretty sure this thread can almost be closed now that Limit has spoken, lol.

In a way, a disintegrating 9 would act more like a 6.

Like needing to stick with a group, when the people of the group have been doing wrong.
Still being with a wife or husband, for 40 years, even though he/she wanted a divorce for 40 years(I read this online somewhere....)

Typically speaking, being with people for the sake of being with people so that "harmony" doesn't go to pieces... even if the 9 has to fake it. It is like a 6, but it is an unhealthy way of going on about a 6.

B

brainheart

In a way, a disintegrating 9 would act more like a 6.

Like needing to stick with a group, when the people of the group have been doing wrong.
Still being with a wife or husband, for 40 years, even though he/she wanted a divorce for 40 years(I read this online somewhere....)

Typically speaking, being with people for the sake of being with people so that "harmony" doesn't go to pieces... even if the 9 has to fake it. It is like a 6, but it is an unhealthy way of going on about a 6.

Yeah, I'd say you've got it right. Right now, for example, I need to quit a job and I just can't bring myself to do it because I don't want this person to be upset with me. Even though it causes crazy amounts of stress for me as is, it will also cause stress if I speak up. I'd say the hardest thing for me is the catch-22 of needing to get out of a situation because it's destroying my peace of mind but speaking up will also disrupt my peace. So which do I do? Either way there's conflict to deal with.

When I was younger and irresponsible I would just stop showing up at a job. I did this a lot. But I can't do that any longer. And it sure didn't solve any problems in my past, all the running away.

I had a thought about six vs nine and stress. Stress seems to give sixes energy, that's why they're often very brave when they actually need to be. Stress just makes me shut down. I forget how to function. It feels very much like an unnatural/foreign state for me, stress/ anxiety. That's why I avoid it like the plague. I'm guessing this is a nine thing.

In other words, the one thing I think that makes nines worry is the possibility of something threatening their peace of mind. Being chiller than most is the cornerstone of the personality, so having that altered... can cause some mental trauma.