• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 1] STJ 1s, NFJ 1s, NTJ 1s and INFP 1s, what similarities/differences do they share

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
what is the similar and different about STJ 1s, NFJ 1s, NTJ 1s and INFP 1s

Last edited by a moderator:

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Interesting question - I'd be curious to hear responses, although I don't have enough of a sample population from any of those groupings to accurately compare.

Owlesque

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Perhaps you could ask some hypothetical scenario questions and we could answer how we would respond? I don't know many 1s, or at least haven't seriously thought about the types of people I know, so I'm limited to the NTJ viewpoint.

I imagine NTJ 1s would be the most likely to look like and mistype as 5s, especially 1w9s, because I had that problem myself with some of the online descriptions. I can't speak for others, but I also have an atypical stance on the morals 1s are supposed to be so hung up on, in that I think many of them are relative and utilised because they are useful and the product of (and indeed a requirement of) successful civilisation, not because they represent any sort of objective truth. Whether that's just the 9 wing + NTJ or Ni, I don't know.

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
What is similar and different about STJ 1's, NFJ 1's, NTJ 1's, and INFP 1's?
I imagine NFJ 1s would be the ones most humanitarian or ethics-driven of the 1's. Or they could be the most disillusioned and cynical. I'm not certain.

Bluen

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Perhaps you could ask some hypothetical scenario questions and we could answer how we would respond? I don't know many 1s, or at least haven't seriously thought about the types of people I know, so I'm limited to the NTJ viewpoint.

I imagine NTJ 1s would be the most likely to look like and mistype as 5s, especially 1w9s, because I had that problem myself with some of the online descriptions. I can't speak for others, but I also have an atypical stance on the morals 1s are supposed to be so hung up on, in that I think many of them are relative and utilised because they are useful and the product of (and indeed a requirement of) successful civilisation, not because they represent any sort of objective truth. Whether that's just the 9 wing + NTJ or Ni, I don't know.

Can I ask you? What difference between 1w9 INTJ sp/so and 5w4 INTJ sp/so? I've suspicion that I'm 1w9 but I've 8w9 tendency, maybe 513 trifix?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In my experience...

- NTJ 1s: They hide their 1 idealism better than any other subset of 1. Much warmer than your average NTJ, if they have a 2 wing (and I've met quite a few with 2 wings). If you're going to make the stereotypical NTJ villain comparison ;) then I'd compare NTJ 1s to Maleficent and Galadriel. "All shall love me and despair!" While all 1s are egotistical to an extent, NTJ egotism is its own entirely separate beast, unmistakable for anything else.

- NFJ 1s: Fe means they're more focused on other people's behavior -- rudeness, courtesy, etiquette -- whereas when the TJs focus on behavioral correctness, it's less about Fe-style behavior and more about behavior as an indicator of values (Fi). Can't speak for ENFJs here, but the INFJ 1s I've known have been very, very romantic about their ideals. Their 4 connection is strong, in a "martyr to the cause" kind of way. In everyday life, they're much more practical and no-bullshit than other NFJs, to the point of potentially being mistyped as SFJ or STJ.

- STJ 1s: The ISTJ 1s I've known have been impeccably organized, always put together, never losing their cool for any reason. The ESTJ 1s I've known (myself included) lose their cool all the time, but in a highly controlled way. NTJ 1s are more quick to decide that they need to step back from something "wrong" that's happening, and give up on it -- whereas STJ 1s (especially ESTJ 1s) take much longer to detach and are therefore much more obviously angry on a daily basis.

- Never met any NFP 1s.

In general -- and I'd be curious to hear others' thoughts on this -- I've found that 1s tend to be some of the hardest to spot, other than 6s. We tend to take on the characteristics of our wing and our other trifixes, with our 1-ness hidden under the surface. Most people don't see me as a 1 when they first meet me, for instance -- I vibe 7 and 3 (my other trifixes). I can also get very 2-disintegrating-to-8 in times of social conflict. In contrast, my other e1 coworkers vibe, respectively, 3, 5, 3, and 9.

Nearly every 1 I know (in my age group) has very dark humor that they don't show other people until they know it's safe to do so. I think it's an 4 disintegration outlet. Letting out the existential angst in a funny way. I mention this because it's fun to watch how it plays out differently depending on whether you're talking to an NFJ, NTJ, or STJ -- and to see how much longer it takes for one type to feel comfortable with dark-humored banter, vs. another type. (Also, I specify my age group because dark humor is more socially acceptable for us -- I imagine that older and more conservative 1s may not want to joke around in a way that is "immoral" or "wrong".)

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think you just need to revise types and enneagram more. There is no correlation, and a mistake people often make is describing types when they're actually describing an enneagram type, at least partially. Fi is not about "authenticity" for example, that is enneagram 4. I haven't revised enneagram enough to be sure of this but overall isn't enneagram about how you behave in order to be secure? The JCF are about how you interpret outside data. It is easy to mix behavior with type, and enneagram is useful for typing because you more about the individual.

á´…eparted

passages
What @EJCC said captures most of it I would think, but there are a few areas I don't quite agree (largely through observation/experience).

For NTJ's: They definitely do hide their idealism better than other 1's. To the vast majority of them, one if their morals/ideals is to not display said idealism. 1's in general can get pretty meta with their personal rules, but I think NTJ's take the cake in that department. You'd think they'd be some of the coldest and unfeeling of the NTJ's, but 1's in general have a poor reputation for being cold. Externally, oh sure they very well will be. Internally? HA! 1's feel all kinds of crap, and NTJ 1's are no exception to this. They aren't going to show it though unless they have been given a reason. Unfortunately, that reason is usually for bad stuff (hence the villain suggestions are apt here). I see more INTJ 1's than I do of ENTJ 1's, but I do know at least 1 of each. In both cases, they're pretty controlled of themselves most of the time, but there is this under layer of warmth that doesn't stay completely hidden (much to their chagrin a lot of the time). Since 1's integrate to 7, nearly all of them of all types have a "silly switch", and NTJ's are no exception. It's quite a sight to see :laugh:. The anger in NTJ 1's tends to be the most destructive, but the most infrequent. When it does comes out, they will burn everything.

For NFJ's: It's sort of the opposite of NTJ's, where they have an underlayer of warmth, NFJ 1's have an overlayer of cold and occasionally a cold core. Generally, NFJ's are regarded as positive lights much of the time, but it's very easy miss an NFJ 1 for some other type combination. Reason being is on the surface 1 and NFJ run in opposite directions of each other. However, in those individuals, there is consistently a moral ideal system that is VERY strict for them, yet it's kinda fuzzy. They sort of "make it work", and when you get to know one, it does become apparent there is a lot of logic and fairness to their rules. It lacks the structural rigidity of T's, but is generally much more stubborn and strict overall because they can (and readily will) create unseen logic turns to fit their code. Their idealism often appears very... sad from the outside? It also tends to swing from extreme good, to extreme bad. NFJ 1's have a terrible case of black and white thinking. Perhaps more than SJ's which are often said to have that the most. Make no mistake though, it's idealism through and through. The anger in NFJ 1's also tends to be the most extreme and visible, and frequently self-destructive in process. If you've ever watched Adventure Time, a really good example of an ENFJ 1 is Princess Bubblegum.

For STJ's: They're your "classic 1" in the sense that the structure of an STJ's mind, and what a 1 is tends to align fairly readily. They win in the organization, completeness, follow through, and reliability department hands down. Those things tend to (and often are) absent in N 1's. STJ 1's tend to want to be much more externally ordered, which is why they come across as so well put together. Much of the time it's a show. Similar to NTJ 1's, they generally loathe to show weakness or disorder. They want to be seen as externally perfect, and are the most sensitive to this image. Almost every STJ 1 I have come across has a strong 3 fix (where as the other types tend to lack a fix pattern from what I noticed), and care immensely on how they come across. However, it's all in accordance with their morals and code. You can meet STJ 1's who are incredibly rude blunt or aggressive, which doesn't suggest 1. However, it's often that rudeness isn't seen as important to their code, and other stuff is. This is IMO, the primary reason why STJ 1's will mistype as 8's (which is rather frequent from what I can tell).

I've never seen an NFP 1. In fact, the only P 1 I have ever come across is [MENTION=1449]Magic Poriferan[/MENTION]. I don't thin I have ever come across one IRL. I'm sure they exist, but for the most part P 1's really don't make sense, and you're mostly likely to find one in the NTP form.

One of the key ways to identify a 1, is to get them talking about their personal rules or larger issues. If they can run sort of ad nauseam about them, or go on and on about "this is how stuff SHOULD be", then you likely have a 1 on your hands. The introverts are less likely to do it, but they will if they are in the right situation.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In the MBTI, the only thing being a J indicates is that one has an extraverted judging process.

I guess I'd be curious to here why this is allegedly a fundamentally type 1 thing to have.

á´…eparted

passages
In the MBTI, the only thing being a J indicates is that one has an extraverted judging process.

I guess I'd be curious to here why this is allegedly a fundamentally type 1 thing to have.

It's not so much of having a dom/aux Je is required, but that having a dom/aux Pe tends to run against what 1's are about. As a result I'd say EP 1's are almost impossible, and I'd probably not believe any proclaiming to be a 1 until they displayed a loooooot of evidence to show it's correct.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
For NTJ's: They definitely do hide their idealism better than other 1's. To the vast majority of them, one if their morals/ideals is to not display said idealism. 1's in general can get pretty meta with their personal rules, but I think NTJ's take the cake in that department. You'd think they'd be some of the coldest and unfeeling of the NTJ's, but 1's in general have a poor reputation for being cold. Externally, oh sure they very well will be. Internally? HA! 1's feel all kinds of crap, and NTJ 1's are no exception to this. They aren't going to show it though unless they have been given a reason. Unfortunately, that reason is usually for bad stuff (hence the villain suggestions are apt here). I see more INTJ 1's than I do of ENTJ 1's, but I do know at least 1 of each. In both cases, they're pretty controlled of themselves most of the time, but there is this under layer of warmth that doesn't stay completely hidden (much to their chagrin a lot of the time). Since 1's integrate to 7, nearly all of them of all types have a "silly switch", and NTJ's are no exception. It's quite a sight to see :laugh:. The anger in NTJ 1's tends to be the most destructive, but the most infrequent. When it does comes out, they will burn everything.

I think this is called "system reset". :wink:

existence

MBTI Type
ISTJ
- STJ 1s: The ISTJ 1s I've known have been impeccably organized, always put together, never losing their cool for any reason. The ESTJ 1s I've known (myself included) lose their cool all the time, but in a highly controlled way. NTJ 1s are more quick to decide that they need to step back from something "wrong" that's happening, and give up on it -- whereas STJ 1s (especially ESTJ 1s) take much longer to detach and are therefore much more obviously angry on a daily basis.

What does this look like, losing the cool all the time in a highly controlled way? I have been told by some people to consider ESTJ for myself but I see myself as I>E. However here I relate to ESTJ>ISTJ because I definitely can express anger, not like you seem to claim ISTJs don't. Otoh, this really depends on what exactly you meant. I view myself as not actually losing my cool most of the time even when angry and even when expressing some of that anger in a controlled way. That is, internally I'm still in control and focused. I really really don't like to actually fully lose my head. It's happened only for very short times usually. I never really like it in retrospect.

In general -- and I'd be curious to hear others' thoughts on this -- I've found that 1s tend to be some of the hardest to spot, other than 6s. We tend to take on the characteristics of our wing and our other trifixes, with our 1-ness hidden under the surface. Most people don't see me as a 1 when they first meet me, for instance -- I vibe 7 and 3 (my other trifixes). I can also get very 2-disintegrating-to-8 in times of social conflict. In contrast, my other e1 coworkers vibe, respectively, 3, 5, 3, and 9.

Same for me. I apparently vibe as a 3 to some people. Then 8 to some. Rarely 5 also.

That "very 2-disintegrating-to-8 in times of social conflict" is interesting too, I wonder what specifically you meant there but on the surface I definitely relate.

Nearly every 1 I know (in my age group) has very dark humor that they don't show other people until they know it's safe to do so. I think it's an 4 disintegration outlet. Letting out the existential angst in a funny way.

It's true that I wait to see if I can show my sense of humour. But. I have a crude humour, not truly dark. I'm just not a dark type of person. If it's an outlet for anything it doesn't seem to be an outlet for 4's existential angst, more like some sx instinct thing.

Then tell the MBTI test makers to not test for J/P as an independent dichotomy and instead test for the extraverted judging function directly. Good luck.