User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: e5 and Emotions

Glycerine

Default e5 and Emotions

I know not to take this stuff too seriously but fellow e5, how do you deal with emotions? The main way I deal with mine is by venting on this forum or listen to "emo" music. In general, I struggle with getting in touch with my emotions.

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

What is this 'emotions' you speak of?

Really, the only way I even begin to know how I feel about anything is making sure I get enough time alone. I can't even begin to figure out what I'm feeling with anyone else around. And that's the part I've always struggled with the most, finding enough time alone. Once I'm alone though, it's just a matter of time before my feelings start making sense to me.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    I know not to take this stuff too seriously but fellow e5, how do you deal with emotions? The main way I deal with mine is by venting on this forum or listen to "emo" music. In general, I struggle with getting in touch with my emotions.
    Yeah, I do this too. I watch sappy movies and listen to sappy music - and that takes me to a very sentimental place where I'm sort of forced to live in "emotion land" for a while. Like if something really sad has happened in my life, I actually want to listen to sappy music and/or watch a chick flick, because it takes me to a place where I have to face it head-on. I have to think about it, I have to remember, etc. This helps me to work through it in a healthy way rather than just avoiding it and trying not to think about it. Better to just go ahead and sulk for a week, face the emotions, cry some tears, and then begin to heal properly.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    Yeah, I do this too. I watch sappy movies and listen to sappy music - and that takes me to a very sentimental place where I'm sort of forced to live in "emotion land" for a while. Like if something really sad has happened in my life, I actually want to listen to sappy music and/or watch a chick flick, because it takes me to a place where I have to face it head-on. I have to think about it, I have to remember, etc. This helps me to work through it in a healthy way rather than just avoiding it and trying not to think about it. Better to just go ahead and sulk for a week, face the emotions, cry some tears, and then begin to heal properly.
    Hence my screenname. [YOUTUBE="kDMeEtUCq54"][/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    Hence my screenname. [YOUTUBE="kDMeEtUCq54"][/YOUTUBE]
    I don't see the connection. Help a brotha out.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

Glycerine

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDMeEtUCq54"][/YOUTUBE]

It was for all intents and purposes, an emo song for my catharsis a long time ago. The artist either stabbed himself twice in the heart or someone else did. We will never know. Sorry, I have a habit of going on tangents without giving much background. It elicits a lot of "WTF" expressions. lol

EDIT: Pitseleh by Elliott Smith

All Natural! All Good!

This. If I don't force myself to go into an emotional place by watching movies/ listening to music in isolation, I will continue to suppress the emotions and not face them. I won't even know what it is that I'm feeling in the first place. Avoidance isn't that great in some situations.
    Strychnine is all-natural,
    So strychnine is all good.
    It's Godly and righteous,
    So eat it, you should.
    Who are you to refuse nature's will?

Don't use the multiquote; it was planted by the devil to deceive us.

Social Role: Asscrack/Piece of Shit/Public Defecator/Spiteful Urinator

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.

Glycerine

Thank you. I completely concur and I am the same e type (instincts and all) as you.

This, pretty much, Though I think i'm much more direct now with my feelings and have 'kind-of' learned not to treat them as intellectual objects but rather things to be felt, This development has made me oddly attracted to Fi ^_^ hence my INFP lurve But yeah, I've learned not to deny that they exist, instead channel them into something either positive or negative, by listening to music or venting to my INFP best friend or INFP girlfriend and maybe picking them apart to find a root cause and fixing that root cause.. yeahh gotta get out of feeling-land eventually :P

Sometimes, opening up your feelings in public is a bit like fraying your own nerves - you just want to protect yourself and hide the wound. Having the courage to say "in sync" with it "out in the open" is something I've had to learn to be comfortable with.

I guess you just have to convince yourself that no one is going to take advantage of you when you're most vulnerable, and that they'll even appreciate you for opening up when you do - the trust and love that's returned can be immeasurable. It's sometimes been tough for me to accept that, though.

[youtube=9SBNCYkSceU]*[/youtube]
    Hello