User Tag List

First 4567 Last

Thread: e5 and Emotions

Ginkgo

I cried when my pet praying mantis died, but not when my grandad died. Good ol' Joe-Bob, those crickets gave you a run for your money. We will remember thee.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    What we are discussing is the basic fundamentals of type theory, Arclight.

"The need for human contact" is not "Fe."
    And people can interact with each / be sociable in ways that do not necessarily conform to Fe.
    (Ti people can discuss Ti ideas without doing any of the Fe stuff, and it can meet interaction needs, etc.)

If you disagree on such a fundamental premise of type understanding, there's not much more to discuss, although I'm going to try to clarify for the benefit of others at least.

I don't also want to make this a discussion of Arclight's use of Fe, which wasn't really the point ... unless you're gonna tie it to E5 in some way that makes sense.
    Actually I am discussing emotions in type 5. Unless you didn't read the thread title.
    This is a typology website and many people make correlations between systems.
    Which is all I am doing.

I said the need for human contact in type 5 and INFJs is related to their Fe or their wing type otherwise they might withdraw completely, and also how good the universe was to put these wing points or Fe there as a buffer to being too closed off and to insure that a drive for "connection" is there.
    What don't you get about this??

You are simply being critical and offering nothing else.
    You are not at all helpful.
    If I am so uneducated, educate me.

But you don't speak for any type any more than I do.

I am sorry you don't understand me.. enough people do that I don't need your validation.
    And you are an amateur like me.
    Show me a PHD or please don't ever accuse me of misrepresentation ever again.

Thanks

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Actually I am discussing emotions in type 5. Unless you didn't read the thread title.
    Which is all I am doing.

I said the need for human contact in type 5 and INFJs is related to their Fe or their wing type otherwise they might withdraw completely, and also how good the universe was to put these wing points or Fe there as a buffer to being too closed off and to insure that a drive for "connection" is there.

I am sorry you don't understand me.. enough people do that I don't need your validation.

Thanks
    If you were a vacuum cleaner, you would be a Kerbey with purple flamingos sticking from the sides like a 1950's convertible. Your nozzle would be in the shape of a heart and would solely be used to clear up childrens' cleaning supplies, gluey and chopped up, after the occasional diarrhea "accident". We both know those little gremlins are calculating; don't be naive now.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

My emotional difficulties are far more interpersonal than intrapersonal. Properly navigating the space between myself and others is something I'll never fully grasp.

Within my own mind however, I think I have a good system for managing and cataloging my emotions in a way that makes it easy for me to evaluate what they're telling me, after the event has happened. On the fly processing remains a difficulty, but experience has shown me that it's never a good idea to engage in emotional decision making in those moments as I'm nearly always led astray. It helps that I tend to not be very affective, with the exception of anger.

So, intellectualization and hyper rationalization, is the key. Emotions tend to not be a huge difficulty to me personally, it's only the interpersonal management and connection that presents conflict.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Which is all I am doing.

Thanks
    Please drop the personal drama/histrionics, Arclight.
    It doesn't belong here, and if it continues, another mod will remove it.
    Just deal with the ideas raised.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mystic.tater
    It reminds me of a quote from Dune: The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in. He must reflect what is projected upon him. And he must have a strong sense of the sardonic. This is what uncouples him from belief in his own pretensions. The sardonic is all that permits him to move within himself. Without this quality, even occasional greatness will destroy a man.
    Thanks for sharing that, I know of Dune but never bothered to read it.

Great word, sardonic... and I think you're right. Seeing the irony and/or maintaining some level of self-deprecation is what allows an observer to move just from observing the external to being able to observe oneself within, as oneself is part of the world and thus needing to be observed rather than excluded from such in-depth observation. Of the world, not outside of it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Please drop the personal drama/histrionics, Arclight.
    It doesn't belong here, and if it continues, another mod will remove it.
    Just deal with the ideas raised.
    Thanks.

Thanks for sharing that, I know of Dune but never bothered to read it.

Great word, sardonic... and I think you're right. Seeing the irony and/or maintaining some level of self-deprecation is what allows an observer to move just from observing the external to being able to observe oneself within, as oneself is part of the world and thus needing to be observed rather than excluded from such in-depth observation. Of the world, not outside of it.
    The issue "raised" by you; was the validly of my statements due to your lack of understanding.
    You went so far as to suggest I don't know what I am talking about.
    You stay on topic and don't make it personal and I wont either.

Thanks

Glycerine

"What we have here is a failure to communicate."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Indeed.

Anyway, not only is man a zoon politicon, but so were our ancestors. Looking at social interaction between primates makes me doubt our need for company is caused by certain cognitive functions. They probably shape it though.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Indeed.

Anyway, not only is man a zoon politicon, but so were our ancestors. Looking at social interaction between primates makes me doubt our need for company is caused by certain cognitive functions. They probably shape it though.

Right,and because this is a Typology forum and we tend to discuss things from a typological stand point,then making correlations between behaviors and functions is kind of the whole point.

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    I think that on occasion, 5s become attached to the idea of being detached, and in the process start fizzling out like a malfunctioning robot. I've known a few that just internally combust and skitter off like a flaming UFO because I didn't subscribe to their little "mental map" of reality. I guess when you throw chewed gum in their cartography, they start to get attached to in on all fronts. Lol.
    Is the detachment always about staying in one’s ivory tower, though? Because it seems to me (I love M. Tater’s description^) that- at least for me- getting grabby with my 'mental map' isn’t as much about clinging to self-identity as it is about making sure that someone else isn’t trying to get their mitts on my map to alter it with their own ends in mind (not taking mine into account). It isn’t that I don’t trust others’ intentions- because it’s not like I think people set out to be hurtful to each other- but I don’t place a lot of stock in others’ mindfulness of the give-and-take that takes place regularly. And in the moment where I'm actually dealing with people- I feel disadvantaged in that I tend to do 'what is best for everyone' and there are others with far more of a 'what is best for me' mentality. I have a really hard time making that distinction myself, so I get grabby with my 'mental map' and go reflect on how much give and take is going on in different areas. I'm not saying one is better than the other (truth be told, I'd really love to learn how to be more 'what is best for me'). My point here is: I’m not nearly as threatened by the prospect of having to change my identity as I am of the prospect of being taken advantage of.

[edit:] There are people who will tell me they think I'm feeling 'x' because 'defgh'- and they don't realize they do it because 'defgh' is the 'truth' which is most convenient for them. There are precious few people whom I trust to be able to discern the real reasons- apart from what they want the reason to be (whether it's as simple as wanting me to like what they cooked for dinner, or complicated as wanting me to move to another job position)- for my feelings. There are precious few people who I think know how to have my best interest at heart while giving me feedback. That's why I think I get grabby with my mental map.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari