• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 4] Which is my dominant type, and which is the wing? 4/5

lalu

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
4/5
I test over and over again, and sometimes 4 traits come up a little higher and sometimes 5 traits come up a little higher. Usually they are very close and it depends on the test and how it is phrased. How can I decide? They both sound like me, but not completely me. Both of the healthy and unhealthy traits ring mostly true. (In both I test toward Self Preservation but I don't know much about that and what it means.) I want to make use of the "direction of integration" and so forth, by finding my dominant type once and for all.

I have read the key traits multiple times and just can't decide. Some things about the 4 don't ring true. I don't feel a huge desire for express myself or be thought unique. I like to be, and do tend toward originality, but it doesn't seem like a huge motivation. I don't really manipulate people, or it is very unconscious, I don't think that I am that hypersensitive, it is rare that I feel "slighted" and if I do say so, it is when it is justified. I have never consciously "tested" someone in a relationship. Although I can't say "I don't care what people think" because that's actually important, I also don't have a lot of patience for what people might think. if I don't respect the person or understand them, I don't care how they perceive me. I am rather at the mercy of my moods, though. I find it very difficult to do things if I'm not in the mood. I usually have to psyche myself up for things, so I can be in the mood to do them right. I am often very detached. If I get in kind of a depressive state, I tend to resort to collecting books and reading, trying to learn new things, become consumed by things I am interested in, get good at them. That part about the 5 rings very true. That and I generally keep a "poker face", don't pick up the phone or call for months, loner. That sort of thing. But, usually if I withdraw it is out of low self esteem. Not feeling "ready" for contact with people, consumed with self hatred, but trying to improve. The 5 sounds a bit too unemotional and unsocial, and the 4 sounds too emotional, too volatile.

Right now I suspect that I'm a dominant 4 that doesn't like my personality description. At other times I have been sure I'm a 5. The bit about desiring to be thought "a unique individual" doesn't ring as true as desire to be respected, knowledgable. I feel like, I'd rather do something good in a respectable way than bad in a unique way. Ha! Perhaps I am being too literal about the type descriptions somehow or just not seeing something and someone can help point this out to me. I probably sound more like a 4 right now, but trying to type me that way probably won't completely satisfy me. I want to know the importnat things to look for so one month from now when I'm not leaning toward one or the other, I can see it with fresh eyes.

Can mbti personality results assist with this? I just tested as ISTP, although sometimes I test more toward F than T. I've seen people drawing comparisons between eneagram and mbti, but I don't know if there's really an accurate correlation or how to use it for narrowing down my enneagram type.

Any tips or thoughts appreciated.

B

brainheart

I relate to much of what you say. I think if a person is a 4w5 the four description sounds too melodramatic which makes it confusing. Stop reading the personality-type descriptions and focus on the motivations, that's what I'd recommend. In other words, what's more important: understanding yourself and being an individual or understanding the world and being competent? Chances are those motivations are going to pull you pretty equally, so it might take a few days of really observing yourself. I know for myself it always comes back to how a thing affects me as an individual, as narcissistic as that may sound. But you've got to be honest with yourself about this if you really want to figure it out. Good luck!

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd say 5 is more likely than 4. Particularly what you said below:

Some things about the 4 don't ring true. I don't feel a huge desire for express myself or be thought unique. I like to be, and do tend toward originality, but it doesn't seem like a huge motivation.

The bit about desiring to be thought "a unique individual" doesn't ring as true as desire to be respected, knowledgable. I feel like, I'd rather do something good in a respectable way than bad in a unique way.